43 replies to this topic

#1 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

I like the Panthers, and I like what coach Ron Rivera has done. There's certainly a chance they'll replace him, but if they do, they run the risk of interrupting the progress they've made, as the new guy will likely want to install his own systems and schemes.

The Panthers have some good, young players on defense, like Luke Kuechly and Greg Hardy, but most importantly, they have Cam Newton at quarterback. Newton gives them a chance to win every week, and that's all you can ask for out of a signal-caller. He's undoubtedly the centerpiece of this team, and the biggest reason to feel optimistic about Carolina's future.

What worries me is that the Panthers are likely to run into cap trouble, and they're carrying three pricey running backs (Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williamsand Mike Tolbert) they don't need. They'll have to make some tough moves to correct that, and it'll also make it tricky to give Newton more receiver help. Veteran Steve Smith is having a pretty good year (66 catches for 1,056 yards), but he'll be 34 next season, and when it comes to receivers and longevity, you never know. (Smith might play another three years, or he might not be able to run a lick in 2013.) Brandon LaFell is a solid No. 2 or 3 receiver, but he's not a No. 1. Still, the Panthers have Newton, and that can make up for a lot.

http://www.nfl.com/n...to-rise-in-2013

#2 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,618 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Baaahhhh! Damn this team and the future of it perplex me.

#3 Salvo

Salvo

BEWB

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

The Bucs are the rise?

HA!

#4 nctarheel0619

nctarheel0619

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

Brandon LaFell is a solid 2 or 3? How about he's a solid 3. 2 is too much for him.

#5 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,921 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

He sounds like he pretty much knows the team, except for that Steve Smith "might not be able to run a lick" thing. What person in Panther Land (indeed, the nation) would put money on that?

#6 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,142 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Glad I'm not the only person that understands the importance of keeping Ron Rivera around for another year. It's not rocket science

#7 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,142 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

LaFell will never be good enough to be a number 2

#8 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Lafell is already a good number 2. Too many of you think absurdly unrealistically like most teams run around with White/Jones or Fitz/Bolden-esq duos at receiver.

#9 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,571 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

Lafell is already a good number 2. Too many of you think absurdly unrealistically like most teams run around with White/Jones or Fitz/Bolden-esq duos at receiver.

This.

#10 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,291 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

lafell has put up nice numbers this year. he's progressing well.

#11 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,531 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

LaFell is a solid possession receiver. He and Olsen can be awesome in the short passing game. We need another deep threat to make it work, though. Coughgettiscough.

#12 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

This.

Yeah, why in the world would we ever want to have a top notch receiving corps? Let's just settle for okay.

Many people, myself included, think bringing in a top notch WR should be a priority this offseason. That would drop LaFell to #3, a role in which he would likely flourish. Then in a couple years when Smith retires, the new guy is #1 and LaFell moves to #2.

#13 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

Draft mostly offense please

#14 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,609 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

Olsen is #2

#15 Panthers Nation

Panthers Nation

Swaggin on ducks on a daily basis.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Yeah, why in the world would we ever want to have a top notch receiving corps? Let's just settle for okay.

Many people, myself included, think bringing in a top notch WR should be a priority this offseason. That would drop LaFell to #3, a role in which he would likely flourish. Then in a couple years when Smith retires, the new guy is #1 and LaFell moves to #2.

Agree 100%

Getting a legit WR should be our #1 target this offseason,I would like to target Dwayne Bowe he would be a perfect fit on this team and gives us a jump ball type WR we can use in the redzone.

No Lafell is not a #2 WR yet,he still has games where he doesn't show up and his doesn't really do anything well to be counted on as a #2.He would thrive as the #3 guy though,because all the coverage would be on Smitty/Bowe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.