43 replies to this topic

#16 Raskle

Raskle

Zookeeper

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

LaFell is a solid possession receiver. He and Olsen can be awesome in the short passing game. We need another deep threat to make it work, though. Coughgettiscough.

As he is my adopted Panther, I fully support the coughing in this message.

#17 Ruff

Ruff

Formerly Know As RufftownRepresent

• HUDDLER
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

Lafell is already a good number 2. Too many of you think absurdly unrealistically like most teams run around with White/Jones or Fitz/Bolden-esq duos at receiver.

Truth.

#18 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

That's not really unrealistic

They chose to draft those players, so they drafted them. Most teams have just a number 1 and stay with that. OL or WR 1st round. If we could get both, thats a W for 2013 draft

#19 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,781 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

We need whoever finds wr's for the Giants they always plug in some scrub and bam he is a star...

#20 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,637 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

We don't need to bring in a high priced free agent receiver. We just need to draft one in the first round. That way we get a stud for the next 10 years at a bargain price for the first 4 or 5.

#21 Panthers Nation

Panthers Nation

Swaggin on ducks on a daily basis.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

You guys are right Lafell is a solid #2 WR on a bad team,but we aren't trying to be a bad team next year it's time for a upgrade at WR,Smitty will be another year older and we need a guy who can take that pressure off him.Lafell is not ready for that type of role which is why we need a upgrade.

#22 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,781 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

WR's are the Panthers kryptonite

#23 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,247 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

Brandon LaFell is a solid 2 or 3? How about he's a solid 3. 2 is too much for him.

Second that!
And all the people that argued with me about Lafell early in the season all a sudden can't be find.

#24 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,247 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

LaFell is a solid possession receiver. He and Olsen can be awesome in the short passing game. We need another deep threat to make it work, though. Coughgettiscough.

I think we need two more receivers to be safe. A true no.1 and a true no.2. 89 is getting older. Lafell will never be that guy and Gettis is missing, can't be found. We may have to go back to back receiver in next two consecutive draft (2013-2014).

#25 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,394 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:44 AM

Agree 100%

Getting a legit WR should be our #1 target this offseason,I would like to target Dwayne Bowe he would be a perfect fit on this team and gives us a jump ball type WR we can use in the redzone.

No Lafell is not a #2 WR yet,he still has games where he doesn't show up and his doesn't really do anything well to be counted on as a #2.He would thrive as the #3 guy though,because all the coverage would be on Smitty/Bowe.

I see it now.. everyone and their mother/brother/cousin bitching about Bowe when we could have drafted Sammie Watkins instead.

#26 ChinaPanther

ChinaPanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

LaFell has 34 receptions for 577 yards in 12 games this year. He needs to be a lot more productive than that. LaFell isn't as good as you guys make him out to be.

#27 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

Yeah, why in the world would we ever want to have a top notch receiving corps? Let's just settle for okay.

Many people, myself included, think bringing in a top notch WR should be a priority this offseason. That would drop LaFell to #3, a role in which he would likely flourish. Then in a couple years when Smith retires, the new guy is #1 and LaFell moves to #2.

I'm not saying we shouldn't try to upgrade the position, but considering how much money we have tied into our running back system we have pretty much no choice but to retain them this season. I think we could address the DT position and shore up the Oline with that money and we would see better results than a better number 2 WR - mostly because the 2nd WR position isn't currently a liability with LaFell,

I'm all for finding a diamond in the rough in the draft though :P.

#28 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:09 AM

I'm not saying we shouldn't try to upgrade the position, but considering how much money we have tied into our running back system we have pretty much no choice but to retain them this season. I think we could address the DT position and shore up the Oline with that money and we would see better results than a better number 2 WR - mostly because the 2nd WR position isn't currently a liability with LaFell,

I'm all for finding a diamond in the rough in the draft though :P.

We have some tough decisions to make, no doubt. It may not be as bleak as some are making it out to be, so we need to see what the offseason brings.

Keep in mind, we have about $23 million or so tied up in two guys (Gross and Gamble). Depending on how our draft position looks, my guess is we bite the bullet and ditch Gamble and restructure Gross. We then have to make decisions not just at running back, but also with guys like Beason, Godfrey and perhaps Anderson.

As far as Beason, this is Luke's defense now. It is probably in everyone's best interest if we can find a way to move Jon. I know he's a great guy and a fan favorite, but remember it's a business first and foremost.

The point is, we will probably have a modest amount to sign a mid-range FA or two once all the dust settles. Could be a RG, could be a WR, or it could be a replacement for Ron Edwards. If we think there is a great WR available in the draft at our spot, we could go that way. Same for any of our other positions of need.

It should give us plenty to talk about.

#29 nctarheel0619

nctarheel0619

• HUDDLER
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

Second that!
And all the people that argued with me about Lafell early in the season all a sudden can't be find.

This dude goes Casper in too many games to be a number 2. Panthers fans have got their expectations so low that they think LaFell is a number 2? Come on fellas. Right now in a number two we are looking for a replacement for Smitty and someone that WE KNOW can get 1,000 yds receiving. Do we have that with LaFell? Absolutely not.

#30 magnus

magnus

Eternal Gameface

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

Lafell is already a good number 2. Too many of you think absurdly unrealistically like most teams run around with White/Jones or Fitz/Bolden-esq duos at receiver.

yeah. There's always room for improvement, but LaFell does well enough. He's option #3. You have to get Smith and Olsen looks first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com