Photo
- - - - -

Regarding Ron Rivera...why would next year be any different?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#11 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

I Don't Want To Get Off On A Rant Here But....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

Lose games poorly when you have a chance at a season.
Win meaningless games late.
Proven formula.

#12 PantherTrain84

PantherTrain84

• PipPipPipPip
TROLLOLOL

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

It all comes down to the Saints game. The Saints game is Ron Rivera's super bowl. If we lose, that means we go 6-10 again and are the same ole Panthers from last year. A team that can beat the bottom feeders but not much else. If we lose, I dont see Ross having a strong feeling toward keeping him.

If we win however. It will vindicate Rivera and the Panthers, it will say the 3 game win streak wasnt meaningless and we have finally arrived by finishing 7-9 by beating a hot Saints team in the superdome and Rivera would earn another season.

Im sorry, but beating a sorry Chargers team and a Leinart led Raiders team doesnt say squat. Sure we beat the Falcons. big deal, the Cardinals also beat the Patriots earlier in the year.

#13 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

I think people believe we can just stick our existing players in a completely new system and they'll absorb and adapt to it immediately.

It's generally not that easy.

#14 unicar15

unicar15

HUDDLER

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

Exactly my point...

I've been saying this since we started 2-8 and I saw that we were going to end the schedule with a bunch of crap opponents. In order to go to the playoffs you HAVE to beat quality teams and Rivera can't do it. If he's back next year expect 8-8 or so for the season and no playoffs.

#15 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

HUDDLER

If we're really only "a few bounced balls" from a wild card spot, isn't that an argument for Rivera?

Maybe I'm overstating it, but the team has talent. I don't think Hurney was the issue. Yes, a few bounces go the other way, maybe the team wins a few more games. But maybe they don't.

I look at the Bears game, when Ron Rivera admitted he called the soft zone coverage on the final drive when the Bears walked down the field and scored to win the game at the end. Rivera didn't use the final timeout he had when the Bears kept running the same play up and down the field. Good coaching?

#16 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

HUDDLER

If we're really only "a few bounced balls" from a wild card spot, isn't that an argument for Rivera?

Maybe I'm overstating it, but the team has talent. I don't think Hurney was the issue. Yes, a few bounces go the other way, maybe the team wins a few more games. But maybe they don't.

I look at the Bears game, when Ron Rivera admitted he called the soft zone coverage on the final drive when the Bears walked down the field and scored to win the game at the end. Rivera didn't use the final timeout he had when the Bears kept running the same play up and down the field. Good coaching?

#17 PantherTrain84

PantherTrain84

• PipPipPipPip
TROLLOLOL

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

It also depends who we replace him with. If Chip Kelly wants to coach here and JR and GM are fully convinced Kelly is the next Harbaugh, I say you have to hire him. If not any good candidates avaliable, you also weigh your options

#18 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

I Don't Want To Get Off On A Rant Here But....

HUDDLER

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

I think people believe we can just stick our existing players in a completely new system and they'll absorb and adapt to it immediately.

The 49ers, Broncos and Colts would like to have a word with you.

#19 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• LocationWilmington, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

For the record though, I'm not as sold on our talent level as you are.

We have the talent... I don't doubt that. I also think maybe hepcat misspoke...

It wasn't really a "few bounced balls" away from some early wins... if was "a few bad decisions" away from some early wins.

I have wanted to see Rivera go for a while, but this is good momentum we have and it is true that learning a new system and new coaches next season will be a BIG hurdle for the team. I can see him staying for that reason alone.

#20 unicar15

unicar15

HUDDLER

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

The 2011 49ers, 2007 Steelers, 2006 Saints, 2007 Packers all disagree. Those are just a few teams off the top of my head who made the playoffs in the first season with a brand new head coach. The Packers actually went to the Playoffs in the 2nd season under McCarthy but went 13-3 in the process and were a Brett Favre pick six in OT away from the superbowl. It's not really that difficult to adapt to a new system...it's a hell of a lot harder to win with a sucky system that is already installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users