89 replies to this topic

#46 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

He should get fined for bumping the ref, no question.

And I'd even be okay with a fine for the kick as long as the Raider who pushed him out of bounds after he released the ball also gets one. Oh, and toss in one for the guy that took 3 steps after Cam had passed the ball and then drove him into the ground. And just for good measure, add one in for the Raider who hit Cam in the stomach with the crown of his helmet.

Fair is fair.

#47 hitman80

hitman80

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

The "touch a ref is an automatic fine" is pure BS. I see players in other games touch refs almost every week. It seems you can touch a ref as long as there is no aggression. From what I watch, they seem to let it slide unless it's disrespectful or malicious.

But the way Cam snapped in the direction of the ref, whether it was for Boger or not, it's hard not to flag/fine him. I have no problem with this. Just hope it teaches him a lesson. Suspension would be harsh though.

#48 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

The "touch a ref is an automatic fine" is pure BS. I see players in other games touch refs almost every week. It seems you can touch a ref as long as there is no aggression. From what I watch, they seem to let it slide unless it's disrespectful or malicious.

I don't ever recall a player or coach touching a ref and not being disciplined. Maybe you have a counterexample but I have always understood it to be an auto flag/fine.

"No Touchy"

http://profootballta...-will-be-fined/

#49 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

In 2009, receiver Brandon Stokley was ejected from a game and fined $25,000 for making unintended contact with an official while disputing a call. That same season, Raiders tight end Tony Stewart was fined $25,000 for the same infraction.

I'm guessing that is what Cam gets unless they add in the "kick"

#50 hitman80

hitman80

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

I don't ever recall a player or coach touching a ref and not being disciplined. Maybe you have a counterexample but I have always understood it to be an auto flag/fine.

"No Touchy"

http://profootballta...-will-be-fined/

Posted Image

Now I know this wasn't an aggressive or malicious high five. But according to "the rule", Vince Young should have been flagged and fined. He was not.

Do you seriously not see a player walk up to a ref and put their hand on the lower back of an official while talking to them? I've seen this and no flag was thrown. I've seen coaches on the sideline do the same. It's not a malicious or disrespectful act, so I always assumed that's why they were never flagged. You see players walk into the arm of an official while he is gesturing a penalty. No flag. Even draws a chuckle from some refs.

Accidental, non-aggressive, etc. None of these are flagged. All I am saying is that the rule of automatic flag/fine for touching a ref is not as clear cut as some people make it out to be. To be clear, however, I am not condoning what Cam did. As I said, he should have been flagged for what he did.

#51 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Posted Image

Now I know this wasn't an aggressive or malicious high five. But according to "the rule", Vince Young should have been flagged and fined. He was not.

lol ok dude

#52 hitman80

hitman80

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

lol ok dude

lol, you wanted an example and it was the quickest I could come up with. I have now used my yearly allowance of posting anything Vince Young.

#53 The_Mango55

The_Mango55

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

I know right, I mean why shouldn't Cam Newton be able to get away with the same thing as established Superbowl winning, HOF bound quarterbacks?

Shouldn't established Super Bowl quarterbacks be expected to be MORE mature than a 23 year old player?

If not, then why would we want cam to mature? Do you not agree that he should do everything he can to emulate a winner?

#54 Alverez

Alverez

Hold my beer, and check this out!!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:51 AM

I could have swore I saw Smitty walking with the ref after that play, as the offense walked off and the punt team came on... with his arm around the ref's shoulder or waist, talking to him as they left he field.... no flag for Smitty. And I also thought I saw a pic of that somewhere too...

Just my two cents.

I believe Cam will be fined because like the Ref explained, it was what he said. And the bump wasn't the reason for the flag.

it looked to me like cam stood up fast and lost his balance and took a step to gather himself WHILE yelling at the ref... thus the contact.

but I'm not the official, and I'm not the NFL... but whatever. I don't recall Cam getting getting hit anymore after that all happened either.

#55 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,153 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:39 AM

Cam got them deep pockets. Aint no thing baby

#56 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

But the way Cam snapped in the direction of the ref, whether it was for Boger or not, it's hard not to flag/fine him. I have no problem with this. Just hope it teaches him a lesson. Suspension would be harsh though.

Where is that video clip? The one I keep seeing just shows him and the Ref slightly bumbing oh but so slightly when while he was getting up. Is there another clip with "Cam Snapped" part?

I am stunned that this is such a big deal. But I shouldn't be because it's Cam and folks just seem to enjoy creating silly controversy around him.

#57 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

I could have swore I saw Smitty walking with the ref after that play, as the offense walked off and the punt team came on... with his arm around the ref's shoulder or waist, talking to him as they left he field.... no flag for Smitty. And I also thought I saw a pic of that somewhere too...

Just my two cents.

I believe Cam will be fined because like the Ref explained, it was what he said. And the bump wasn't the reason for the flag.

it looked to me like cam stood up fast and lost his balance and took a step to gather himself WHILE yelling at the ref... thus the contact.

but I'm not the official, and I'm not the NFL... but whatever. I don't recall Cam getting getting hit anymore after that all happened either.

What did he say? and why isn't he allowed to state his case? It's not like he makes a habit out of it like a certain other QB.

I guess the NFL is quite selective on who can do what. And it seems like many Panther fans want Cam get in trouble with the NFL for any little thing he does, even if it's simply defending himself; while high fiving themselves when any of the other players, especially Smitty, get out of control in almost every game. I simply don't get the extreme attitude towards Cam...

#58 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

Posted Image

Do you seriously not see a player walk up to a ref and put their hand on the lower back of an official while talking to them? I've seen this and no flag was thrown. I've seen coaches on the sideline do the same. It's not a malicious or disrespectful act, so I always assumed that's why they were never flagged. You see players walk into the arm of an official while he is gesturing a penalty. No flag. Even draws a chuckle from some refs.

Accidental, non-aggressive, etc. None of these are flagged. All I am saying is that the rule of automatic flag/fine for touching a ref is not as clear cut as some people make it out to be. To be clear, however, I am not condoning what Cam did. As I said, he should have been flagged for what he did.

You need to condone what he did when it's clear he didn't do anything but get up and accidently bumbed into the Ref. If it was Luck, it would be seen as such and nothing would be made of it. It seems many on here were way to quick to jump to conclusions and since it's Cam, why bother admit they are wrong when it's easier to just create more weekly neagtive controversy around him.

BY the way, I thought your use of VY as an example to make your agument about touching a Ref was so funny and ironic. Especially since it's been the agenda of many to turn Cam into the next VY every since he entered the draft.

#59 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,447 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

I guess we will find out today if he is going to be fined.

#60 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,355 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

The refs said it was not malicious. Sure looked intentional to me.

Posted Image

Many other players would have been ejected immediately.

Meh it's likely a fine. The NFL hands out multiple fines each week.

But touching a ref is automatic fine whether he meant to or not.

If you don't think Cam should be fined for either of those moves, then you are the definition of an idiot blind Cam nut hugging homer.

He was justified to react like he did based on the cheap shots taken by the Raiders. But. Both actions definitely should be fined.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.