Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newspaper prints interactive map with names and addresses of individuals licensed to own handguns

35 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

"So should we start wearing yellow Stars of David so the general public can be aware of who we are??" one commenter wrote.

lol ok buddy

Posted · Report post

"I'm so mad I could shoot somebody"

Posted · Report post

This should probably bother people that DON'T have guns more...

Posted · Report post

fuging retarded

Posted · Report post

lol, ok that's funny

530407_10151211286191699_1397746245_n.jpg

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

"And we are pretty sure he does not own a gun"

Posted · Report post

Editor’s note: Journal News reporter Dwight R. Worley owns a Smith & Wesson 686 .357 Magnum and has had a residence permit in New York City for that weapon since February 2011.

from the original article...

Posted · Report post

just did some digging and found that gun permits are a matter of public record in the state of NY. anyone can go search the registry and find out who's packing. so there's nothing legally to challenge here, only ethical questions... is this irresponsible journalism? i'd say so.

Posted · Report post

just did some digging and found that gun permits are a matter of public record in the state of NY. anyone can go search the registry and find out who's packing. so there's nothing legally to challenge here, only ethical questions... is this irresponsible journalism? i'd say so.

I agree, legally there is no problem, but it is irresponsible.

I wonder how the employees of the newspaper would feel if someone set up a website with their addresses listed, along with the tax value of their homes. That is also publicly available information. Well at least it is in North Carolina. I assume its that way in New York.

Posted · Report post

The only basis he seems to suggest for this comes from a quote from someone else:

Combined with laws that allow the purchase of rifles and shotguns without a permit, John Thompson, a program manager for Project SNUG at the Yonkers Family YMCA, said that leaves the public knowing little about the types of deadly weapons that might be right next door.

“I would love to know if someone next to me had guns. It makes me safer to know so I can deal with that,” said Thompson, whose group counsels youths against gun violence. “I might not choose to live there.”

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012312230056&nclick_check=1

• Latest Articles

• Recent Comments