Why is it all Rivera's fault?

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#11 Bob NC

Bob NC

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

If you change coaches after 2 years you are gauranteed to hear those same things for 3 more years.

LOL, we heard it for years with the old coach, now we've heard it for 2 years with the current coach.

If history is the best predictor of the future I guess we're gonna hear it for the next 10 years no matter who the coach is?

#12 jtm

jtm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

We lost a number of games this year specifically because of coaching, not for lack of talent.

#13 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The Yumbo of the Huddle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky
HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

All this we lost because of coaching...like Nakamura not being able to make a coordinated play on a lobbed pass? Nakamura was signed to start and Martin has shown to be unreliable on coverage a lot... I saw enough in that game from Nakamura to know he should not be out there...despite his earlier Int. With that said Rivera has a roster built by a GM ...he kind of has to play the guys who are supposed to be the starters.

As soon as Hurney was gone Rivera tinkered with the lineups and really held whoever accountable.

I read in a few post that some are tired, like I am, of the wait till next year...almost there...just need another chance.. but with a new coach, WHOEVER it is, I would expect another 2 years to implement a new system..even more adjustments to the roster...

So either way IMO the results will not be much different...with keeping Rivera and seeing the improvement and continuity of the team in ear 3. Hardy grew to a man beast...this defense was top 10...Offense was pretty effective after the read option was toned down.

Other than some end of 1st half hesitation to score(which Cam was not playing with confidence early in the season) I don't remember any awful calls that he single-handedly cost the team a game. The Time out on a FG last season maybe..soft zone on Marshall..or was that Norman like Munnerlyn kinda hinted to? Who knows.

That soft zone was a staple defense here under Fox for whoever keeps posting fond memories of that regieme..the bad and good are pretty even(more bad to me) with Fox.

Really this is just that all of us are frustrated we cannot root for this team in January and want someone to pay..JR cant be fired so blood is needed...

#14 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

that five year old team has been to the playoffs every year with pretty much the same level of overall talent.

who is laying it all on rivera? no one is letting the other coaches or players off the hook.

the team is ultimately on his shoulders. his job is to find a way to win with who he has.

most don't trust his team or game management skills and with the record he has as a coach its hard to argue that he's doing very well with those two areas. making the players love you isn't enough. getting closse to winning isn't enough.

#15 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

the GM doesn't set the line up. he doesn't choose the starters. he doesn't tell the coach who to put on the field in clutch situations. thats all rivera.

All this we lost because of coaching...like Nakamura not being able to make a coordinated play on a lobbed pass? Nakamura was signed to start and Martin has shown to be unreliable on coverage a lot... I saw enough in that game from Nakamura to know he should not be out there...despite his earlier Int. With that said Rivera has a roster built by a GM ...he kind of has to play the guys who are supposed to be the starters.

As soon as Hurney was gone Rivera tinkered with the lineups and really held whoever accountable.

I read in a few post that some are tired, like I am, of the wait till next year...almost there...just need another chance.. but with a new coach, WHOEVER it is, I would expect another 2 years to implement a new system..even more adjustments to the roster...

So either way IMO the results will not be much different...with keeping Rivera and seeing the improvement and continuity of the team in ear 3. Hardy grew to a man beast...this defense was top 10...Offense was pretty effective after the read option was toned down.

Other than some end of 1st half hesitation to score(which Cam was not playing with confidence early in the season) I don't remember any awful calls that he single-handedly cost the team a game. The Time out on a FG last season maybe..soft zone on Marshall..or was that Norman like Munnerlyn kinda hinted to? Who knows.

That soft zone was a staple defense here under Fox for whoever keeps posting fond memories of that regieme..the bad and good are pretty even(more bad to me) with Fox.

Really this is just that all of us are frustrated we cannot root for this team in January and want someone to pay..JR cant be fired so blood is needed...

#16 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

This team is far from having a serious lack of talent, and while there's plenty of young guys there's plenty of experienced guys at every major position group. The DBs have Gamble, the LBs have everyone (even Luke playing like a vet), the DL is plenty experienced, the O-line has Gross and Kalil, WRs have Smitty, RBs are all experienced, QB is the only one even close to being "inexperienced" if you wanna call Anderson not much of someone to look to. Those two excuses don't even come close to cutting it. The biggest inexperience problem with the team was at the HC position.

#17 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• LocationAt the lake
HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

The comparisons to Atlanta are off base. When Smith took over and then brought in Turner and Ryan he had many more pieces to work with than Rivera did after Richardson went on a cutting spree and divested themselves of a ton of talent in 2010. This isn't to say that Smith hasn't done a great job because he has, but the talent level on the teams were not the same when they both took over.

Secondly people keep forgetting that Rivera started slow last year because we took a quarterback who everyone said wouldn't be ready for 2 years, installed a defense and offense scheme which was completely new, and had no off season to install it. We were still installing the offense 10 weeks into the season. As for the defense, in addition to all the injuries, we couldn't keep the same guys on the field for 2 games in a row.

The bitching about this year is justified. The team wasn't ready to play early and we were inconsistent. A number of players heavily counted on didn't do much. After the bye we played much better as did Newton. Best of all to me, Newton for example didn't have a good game against New Orleans yet we won due to great defense and special teams and a suddenly revitalized ground game.

The question is whether you lump everything together and put the blame on him alone, or you look at things a little deeper and realize that he was a factor but not necessarily the major issue. Sure the buck stops with the coach, but before you give someone the boot, you have to understand that any change isn't always for the better. If we had continued to lose, then make a change. Keep him on a short leash if you want, but he showed that we were competitive all year and dominant at the end.

Surely the case for retaining him is just as compelling as the one to let him go.

#18 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationIn yo moma
HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Why are we so quick to forget that the Falcons are a 5 year old team?

It's going to take a while to build a consistent team in this league. I don't know why people on this board are so quick to forget that the Falcons are an experienced team and we are not. Why exactly do we expect results to be delivered this instant, right now when we have done nothing to deserve that luxury? I want this team to be successful as any other person on here, but that doesn't mean I expect results at unreasonable times. This team has a lot of growing to do, but we're not as far off from the playoffs as some of the emos think we are.

Well, I know the falcons won 11 games the first season Smith took and they weren't experienced with a rookie quarterback either. Also, they are having a top 3 franchise season with a recently overhauled coaching staff.

#19 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• LocationCharlotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Has Rivera not been the head coach of the Panthers all this time? Silly me, I absolve him of all fault.

Okay, back to reality now.

#20 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• LocationAt the lake
HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

This team is far from having a serious lack of talent, and while there's plenty of young guys there's plenty of experienced guys at every major position group. The DBs have Gamble, the LBs have everyone (even Luke playing like a vet), the DL is plenty experienced, the O-line has Gross and Kalil, WRs have Smitty, RBs are all experienced, QB is the only one even close to being "inexperienced" if you wanna call Anderson not much of someone to look to. Those two excuses don't even come close to cutting it. The biggest inexperience problem with the team was at the HC position.

How many of the guys you mentioned played at all this year?? Gamble?? IR on October 22nd, Kalil on October 10th, Beason on IR October 24th. How many games did Stewart play? Nine and started in 6.

Smitty was one of the only receivers who was there all year?? Gettis?? Didn't play. LaFell- missed 2 games and didn't start in another 2 so we had a 4 game void without him. Murphy was starting after being the 4th receiver on the depth chart.

And as for quarterback, Newton is the inexperienced one still learning and figuring things out.

Rivera is learning as well, but I think that this year was a great learning experience and he will do better next year. Why do I think that? Because he knows if he stays that he got a reprieve and that he has to start out well. Will they? I hope so.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users