Photo
- - - - -

how much stock should you put into the combine?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

very little

#17 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

As a fan I put more stock into it that most NFL teams.

It's my only real chance to see these players on a level playing field. I don't have access to their practices, their interviews, the coaches' film or their pro days. I think you can tell a lot by how fluid players are in their position drills.

That said film should be the prominent factor in the evaluation of a prospect. I quite like the Senior Bowl too - especially the practices.

If a player doesn't show up on film and he blows up the Combine he's only considered in the 6th/7th round in my opinion. You can always use athletes, but not at the expense of football players.

#18 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Julio Jones. The combine skyrocketed him and it should've. You have to match on field production with combine numbers. Without gameday production the workouts are nothing (Terrell McClain). If a player is extremely productive on field but has bad combine numbers lean on game footage. Dwayne Jarretts 4.7 however trumps all

#19 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,889 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

I took a wonderlic once. Made a 39. (out of 40)

fyi

#20 killacam

killacam

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

Lets just not blow up the huddle again if a player has a Dontari Poe combine at a position of need

#21 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

The combine and pro days are for players to show improvement in areas of concern. Not just athletic performance, but personality with all of the interviews and whatnot. Also a chance to see other measurables that aren't recorded during the season like the 40, come drills, route running, broad, vertical, etc.

#22 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,448 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

Only thing I really put stock into is the drills designed to test a players quickness, speed, agility, etc...

Those are three characteristics of a great football player so usually when you see good numbers at those designated drills it tends to mean you have a pretty good ball player on your hand (i.e. Kuechly, Newton, Beason, Williams, Smith, Davis etc).

I'm sure other drills are important to other people, but to me; these guys already know how to play football so just show me something extra (the wow factor) to make me a believer (i.e. 40 time).

#23 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,195 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

We see the drills and get all charged up.

What is not seen, but probably carries the most weight are the interviews.

#24 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,497 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

does everybody realize that Dontari Poe went 11 overall and is the starting NT for a decent chiefs defense after killing the combine with bad tape. if the skill is there, and the athlete has the drive the coaching will get the most out of the player.

#25 bababoey

bababoey

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Locationcorner of drunk and stupid

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

The combine was originally done to check the health of players before they were drafted. And for that they are still very helpful to teams. The interview process is also a big plus for teams that scout well and know what questions to ask. But the 40, the bench press, all the agility drills, you can't look at all of them without some context.
For instance, may a cb runs a 4.6 40 but does really good in the short shuttle and the 3 cone. And maybe he is 6 feet tall and has a good bench press numbers and reads routs very well. Well if he goes to a zone team, the 4.6 wont hurt him so bad and he will probally be able to play right away.
It just depends on what teams are looking for and how well they know how to scout.

#26 MrBubba

MrBubba

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Should take serious because NFL takes it seriously. Many guys become first round picks or fall a round because of combine. Bad 40 times, hurt DB's and WR, low strength numbers hurt line guys. Although none of those numbers of tests help them play on Sunday.

#27 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,497 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

Posted Image

#28 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,332 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:07 AM

I usually pay attention to the splits on the 40, position drills and finding out about interviews.

#29 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,570 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

It allows you to evaluate/confirm their physical attributes such as speed.Not really a test of how good of a football player they are.

#30 h0llywood

h0llywood

I HATE LUKE KUECHLY!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

This guy will tell you all about the combine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.