Photo
- - - - -

Are the Panthers attractive to a GM prospect?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#11 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun
HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

cam newton

luke keuchly

we are one of the most attractive prospects from a personnel perspective based on those two alone.

#12 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• LocationAlaska
HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

I've been thinking that it will either be Arcosi (the guy we brought in to help us find a new GM) or Beane... Perhaps even a combination of the two honestly...

I just find it odd that Arcosi was brought in to consult and has done so for what.. Like 13 weeks now? Who knows the organization better than he and Beane at this point? Arcosi has GM experience... Just a thought

#13 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

There are only 32 of these jobs in the league. We have a franchise QB in place and an owner that was extremely patient with the previous GM. Some of you guys are such self loathers it's embarrassing. Of course we have a lot to offer GM candidates. Every team that fires a GM is in a state of chaos, that is why they fired their GM. I think other factors come into play here... prospects of winning, quality of life, taxes, and pay. The only legitimate concern is ole JR low balling our guy with a short term deal.

#14 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• LocationAlaska
HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

No GM worth a damn wants to work with a meddling owner who despite not being a "football guy"

Again, posting these type of things shows your true ignorance!

#15 Goondal

Goondal

The Goon

• LocationSafety Harbor, FL
HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

I would say it is somewhere in the middle based on appeal. There two major positives are that previous GMs have been given lots of opportunity to suceed and, more importantly, there is a young centerpiece on both sides of the ball to build around. There is a mess with some of the contracts and there are certainly better jobs out there, but it is hardly one that nobody would want.

As far as "an overall tradition of losing" I would have to disagree. We have had a tough couple of years but the franchise has just as many ten win seasons as it has ten loss seasons. Most years are 7-9 or 8-8. I would say we have an overall tradition of mediocrity.

#16 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

I think it isn't as appealing as the GM job in Atlanta or Green Bay would be, but on reflection it's probably the most appealing opening out there.

#17 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• LocationWherever I May Roam
HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

No GM worth a damn wants to work with a meddling owner who despite not being a "football guy" makes critical football based decisions.

We cant draw a quality GM for the same reasons the Cowgirls cant and the Raiders couldnt when Al was alive.

A former NFL player with a Super Bowl ring isn't a "football guy?" Am I missing something?
Edit: The 1959 NFL Championship Game

Neither the Raiders nor the Cowboys ever looked for a GM under Jones or Davis since they are/were both owner and GM, established in their respective corporations as such and hold the title. Again, Am I missing something?

#18 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

JR is so old he played before there was Super Bowls.

#19 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• LocationWherever I May Roam
HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

I honestly do not understand how someone on this board can, without hesitation, state the GM job is "appealing" when you simply have no idea what the owner of the team mandates and just how much control he has over personnel decisions.

This I can tell you- firing Hurney when he did, and not hiring a new GM before announcing to everyone Rivera will be staying is, to me, a pretty strong indication that JR is a helluva lot more involved in personnel decisions than most people thought.

How "appealing" is the job if JR tells the next GM he has to keep Gross, Gamble, Beason and a handful of other major cap liabilities while at the same time telling Rivera he better make the playoffs or else? That's like telling the pizza delivery kid with 2 flat tires and only 1 spare that he needs to finish his runs.

#20 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

I honestly do not understand how someone on this board can, without hesitation, state the GM job is "appealing" when you simply have no idea what the owner of the team mandates and just how much control he has over personnel decisions.

This I can tell you- firing Hurney when he did, and not hiring a new GM before announcing to everyone Rivera will be staying is, to me, a pretty strong indication that JR is a helluva lot more involved in personnel decisions than most people thought.

How "appealing" is the job if JR tells the next GM he has to keep Gross, Gamble, Beason and a handful of other major cap liabilities while at the same time telling Rivera he better make the playoffs or else? That's like telling the pizza delivery kid with 2 flat tires and only 1 spare that he needs to finish his runs.

Sure, but if you want to be a GM, what opening right now is better than the Panthers'?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users