Rivera will make close to $3m next year

#32 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,974 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Richardson didn't want to eat 2 years of Rivera's contract but he isn't cheap? Makes sense

That's really just dot connecting on their part. One of the reasons Richardson didn't fire fox after 2009 was not wanting to pay the third highest salary to a guy not working.

Rivera is working for peanuts comparably and if they hadn't gone on a late season tear he'd be gone, contract be damned.

#33 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,982 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

PFW with your weekly personality profile... You go girl!

#34 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,067 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

The Big Cat must think that he is immortal for him to take anything into account except winning now if this theory is true, and unless he knows he had two of the nine lives left that cats have, I just have a hard time believing the suggestive nature of the comments.

#35 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,208 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Wasn't that a reason for not firing Fox and having Hurney without a contract? Dont see how it's far-fetched

#36 grateflday

grateflday

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

I dont buy this we are eliminating GM options with retaining Rivera. Every situation and circumstance has its own characteristics and with this one, I dont think Rivera is given some long leash. Any new GM can see the situation of coming in, start working their majic with the roster, contracts ,etc and they have a coach in place who as it stands right now is probably going to put this team in a better position than a cooridinator or college HC. I prefer a RR next season over the latter. This team BETTER NOT start poorly next season,,, thats all I got to say.

#37 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,293 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

That's really just dot connecting on their part. One of the reasons Richardson didn't fire fox after 2009 was not wanting to pay the third highest salary to a guy not working.

Rivera is working for peanuts comparably and if they hadn't gone on a late season tear he'd be gone, contract be damned.

I pretty much agree with you and I don't really mind Rivera staying.

I just don't want him staying to cost us any of the potentially great GMs.

I would take Gettlemen over Beane any day though.

#38 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,629 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Guys, I brought up this note to point out the good info on Gettleman, not so we can rehash the vagaries of why JR kept Rivera.

So you posted with a certain intent for the topic but others seized on a tangent and ran with that as the primary point of discussion...

That actually happens a lot around here.

#39 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,629 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

As to the topic...

The bit on Gettleman is consistent with what others have said, and something which likely makes him a pretty good fit with Richardson. It also probably means that as a GM, he'd be less likely to get into pissing matches with agents.

That was one good thing you could say about Marty Hurney. He never let his ego motivate how he did business. Bill Polian, on the other hand, was reported to have once thrown a chair at an agent during an especially contentious negotiation. Richardson tried writing notes to him in the midst of meetings urging him to calm down.

#40 panthersphan

panthersphan

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

The more I hear, the more I like Gettleman.

#41 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,602 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

ross may be a sexier pick, but gettleman seems more like a guy that will cut through the BS and get the job done. he seems legit. the fact that he's played a significant role in so many successful organizations will help change the existing culture.

imo, he's very much needed around here.

if, tho, JR is going to move the franchise to the west coast, beane might be the man for the job. you know...he can handle all the travel arrangements and stuff.

#42 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,469 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

I think that the writers theory on RIchardson not wanting to eat two years of the contract is an educated guess based on JR's past

Is it not also possible that he met his requirement of showing him something after the Hurney firing?

#43 Cape Fear Cat

Cape Fear Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

I think it's important to recognize that there is a difference between being cheap and not wanting to throw good money after bad. On balance, I don't see how anyone can accuse JR of being cheap. When necessity demands it, he seems more than willing to pony up the bucks. But I don't blame him one bit for satisfying himself that the checks he signs are more likely than not to show a positive return on his investment. Yes, he's a billionaire. But that doesn't mean he should spend foolishly. It's all too easy for us to sit here and moan about not spending for this GM, that coach, or those players when it's not our money.

#44 run1stdownrun2nddown

run1stdownrun2nddown

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

I think it's important to recognize that there is a difference between being cheap and not wanting to throw good money after bad. On balance, I don't see how anyone can accuse JR of being cheap. When necessity demands it, he seems more than willing to pony up the bucks. But I don't blame him one bit for satisfying himself that the checks he signs are more likely than not to show a positive return on his investment. Yes, he's a billionaire. But that doesn't mean he should spend foolishly. It's all too easy for us to sit here and moan about not spending for this GM, that coach, or those players when it's not our money.

A bunch of huddlers thinking that they know how to spend a rich guy's money better than the rich guy himself... you don't say.

#45 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,602 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

i said all along (at least as far as i can recall) that while i didn't like him not firing fox in '10 (or earlier were it up to me), i can understand him not wanting to pay for two coaching staffs, esp. when one had the amount of money fox was getting.

it made sense, but it wasn't in the best interest of the team. same with keeping hurney on after fox was let go. it hurt more than it helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com