Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kurb

UK Doctors want to ban Kitchen Knives.

33 posts in this topic

Oh man you crazy British people and your homicide rate that's 500% lower than ours! When will you ever learn to stop looking for ways to reduce it?!

Also ban high capacity drawers capable of holding multiple knives. Also gripped handles should be regulated since that allows the user more precision control.

1 person likes this

Oh man you crazy British people and your homicide rate that's 500% lower than ours! When will you ever learn to stop looking for ways to reduce it?!

500% less?

They're using violence to bring people back to life?

Well, for the most part, regarding the necessity of a big pointed knife for cooking, it's true. Curved front knives work just as well for anything that you would use a big knife for.

IE. knives shaped like this

stock-photo-chiefs-chopping-knife-with-air-pockets-37595674.jpg

instead of this:

zh31021203.jpg

i've found santoku knives aren't nearly as good for cutting large pieces of meat... largely due to the lack of point and subsequent lack of curve to the blade. I like santoku's for chopping but i much prefer a western style knife for slicing.

yeah, you can't rock one of those santoku knives like you can a chef's knife.

i've found santoku knives aren't nearly as good for cutting large pieces of meat... largely due to the lack of point and subsequent lack of curve to the blade. I like santoku's for chopping but i much prefer a western style knife for slicing.

It just requires a different technique. As someone who's worked in about 10 different restaurants and the only cook in my household, I can attest to being able to use them in much the same way as a "western style" knife.

It just requires a different technique. As someone who's worked in about 10 different restaurants and the only cook in my household, I can attest to being able to use them in much the same way as a "western style" knife.

i'm sure that's true... i mean... it's just a blade... i just prefer a traditional chef's knife... and i'm sure that's because i have better technique with it (and they are objectively... slightly more versatile.) my wife likes santokus better.

idk if banning them is wise but there's something to be said for phasing out pointed ends for safety reasons, especially since it's been demonstrated that professionals who use them every day for cooking have found the point to be generally useless.

pretty interesting to ponder actually

The point helps when you're carving pumpkins. But I suppose you don't really need an assault knife for that.

Am I to come away from this thinking we shouldn't restrict guns because one day they might try and restrict knives too?

Actually, as crazy as it may seem. Yes.

It's normally hard to come in and take everything at once, governments usually have to phase things out to keep the citizens in check.

We have gone down this road before with the guns discussion.

Actually, as crazy as it may seem. Yes.

It's normally hard to come in and take everything at once, governments usually have to phase things out to keep the citizens in check.

We have gone down this road before with the guns discussion.

It's a slippery slope. Logical fallacy.