#61 LA_Panther

LA_Panther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Keeps the playbook.

Keeps Cam happy.

Has NFL OC experience (even though he never ranked better than 22nd and was poo canned, still, that was 15 years ago)

Top candidates will be concerned about Rivera's tenure.

Who are we kidding here. Shula is our next OC.

Please no

Go after Norv. Rivera worked with him, so they have a rapport

#62 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,430 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Obviously Shula is nothing to get excited about...but if it keeps essentially the same playbook for Cam, potentially could bring in Weinke or somebody as QB coach to help with Cam/s footwork, and Shula doesn't call the stupid gameplans we saw Chud have this season, it might be alright.

#63 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 9,196 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Chud leaving really makes Rivera staying look even more foolish.

No one worth a poo is going to want to come here and be on a "maybe" staff.

We should have just fired Rivera...he has shown no ability to choose a good staff(he fired half of the assistants that HE hired).

Don't trust him with the power nor do I trust him with the in game coaching.

#64 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,161 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

My distinct memory of Mike Shula is a white plastic lawn chair. I remember watching the 1999 NFC championship in the old Sport Shak on Neptune Street in Tampa. (It's not there anymore, but the fact that I know where I was when this game happened should tell you how horribly traumatic it was.) That was the game where the Tampa Bay Buccaneers turned in one of the best single-game defensive performances in NFL history. They held the Greatest Show on Turf to nine points and kept them out of the end zone until there were five minutes left in the game. The Rams got two more points on a safety, for a total of 11.

And yet the Rams won 11-6, because Mike Shula conjured up one of the most horrific offenses in the history of anything. It was a terrible scheme, but he made up for it by being incredibly slow to call his terrible plays, like on a fourth-down conversion in St. Louis territory that was canceled by a delay of game penalty, forcing a punt. His offenses had been bad ever since opposing teams realized that if you put eight men in the box, he wouldn't be able to solve it. (Note: This had happened at least two years earlier.) But squandering that heroic defensive effort on that day was the last straw. Ownership finally fired Shula a couple weeks later, since Tony Dungy was too loyal and possibly ignorant to do it himself. He hasn't been an offensive coordinator in the NFL since then, and he's followed it up with a thoroughly mediocre stint as the Alabama Crimson Tide's head coach, among other things.
http://tampabay.sbna...g-cant-actually

sounds like the right guy for the job.

#65 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Rivera already has his excuse for underachieving next season.

#66 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,161 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Rivera already has his excuse for underachieving next season.

fox had injuries as his built in excuse.

rivera's got that and a coaching change.

#67 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,710 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

If it happens, I want Weinke hired as QB coach

#68 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,515 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

sounds like the right guy for the job.

I was originally confused given his history why all he could land was a quarterbacks gig.

Honestly I would rather get rid of the whole staff if we have to be handcuffed like this.

#69 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,269 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Shula would be the worst OC in Panthers history and would have people longing for the Davidson days.

#70 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

I dont see what the problem with promoting shula is. We don't need an offensive mastermind running this team. We are littered with playmakers on offense, we need some back to basics plays. There is this route that requires a 3 step drop and gets the ball out of the quarterbacks hands quickly... its called a... slant? I think? I'm not sure it's been so long since I've seen one.

Regardless, we can keep Chud's plays in the playbook, just be a bit more realistic about what is called. Keep the read option and triple options down to about 5 plays a game. Run it up the middle occasionally, even if its for little or no gain it will bring the safeties up and prevent defensive ends from pinning their ears back and gunning for the backfield every play.

Think Mike Vick in Atlanta. I mean yea it was a failure but mostly because Vick couldn't pass worth a damn, but you put Cam in the same style of offense (no gimmicks or option plays, just a QB that can take off if need be with a good run game) and he's going to tear it up. We have the tools to run a similar style offense in a good pass catching TE, and a good backfield that can trade power for finesse and vice-versa.

#71 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,269 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

I dont see what the problem with promoting shula is. We don't need an offensive mastermind running this team. We are littered with playmakers on offense, we need some back to basics plays. There is this route that requires a 3 step drop and gets the ball out of the quarterbacks hands quickly... its called a... slant? I think? I'm not sure it's been so long since I've seen one.

Regardless, we can keep Chud's plays in the playbook, just be a bit more realistic about what is called. Keep the read option and triple options down to about 5 plays a game. Run it up the middle occasionally, even if its for little or no gain it will bring the safeties up and prevent defensive ends from pinning their ears back and gunning for the backfield every play.

Think Mike Vick in Atlanta. I mean yea it was a failure but mostly because Vick couldn't pass worth a damn, but you put Cam in the same style of offense (no gimmicks or option plays, just a QB that can take off if need be with a good run game) and he's going to tear it up. We have the tools to run a similar style offense in a good pass catching TE, and a good backfield that can trade power for finesse and vice-versa.

You don't see the problem with promoting a guy who has been a total failure at the position you're promoting him to?

I get wanting to be safe, but Shula is not safe. There are better options for a safe offense.

#72 LA_Panther

LA_Panther

• HUDDLER
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Since day one, the only coach in this staff I had issues with is Shula. Cam is entering his 3rd year with issues with fundamentals like footwork and accuracy. I want a QB coach that will turn Cam into a big Aaron Rogers, plus the running ability.

I am not exactly crushed that Chud is gone. We'll be fine, but we gotta be careful who we get to replace him. Go after Norv and give him all the money he wants. It will be a great investment

#73 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

We dominated time of possession though!

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,001 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Since day one, the only coach in this staff I had issues with is Shula. Cam is entering his 3rd year with issues with fundamentals like footwork and accuracy. I want a QB coach that will turn Cam into a big Aaron Rogers, plus the running ability.

I am not exactly crushed that Chud is gone. We'll be fine, but we gotta be careful who we get to replace him. Go after Norv and give him all the money he wants. It will be a great investment

yeah you know that norv is confirmed going to cleveland right

#74 LA_Panther

LA_Panther

• HUDDLER
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

yeah you know that norv is confirmed going to cleveland right

really? fuggg!

#75 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

We dominated time of possession though!