Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Article on Jerry Richardson's Succession Plans

132 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MrTouchdown' timestamp='1358437512' post='2101309']
Panthro they are not taxing your house. They are taxing the imbreds from the "upstate" and Cabarrus county that go to the Buffalo Wild Wings next to the NascarHOF
[/quote]

Panthro they are not taxing your house. They are taxing the inbreds from the "upstate" and Cabarrus county that go to the Buffalo Wild Wings next to the NascarHOF

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Panthro' timestamp='1358437416' post='2101307']
Yeah...charging the people who use the stadium for renovations instead of tax payers. I am clearly out of my mind. Thats preposterous.
[/quote]

Tax payers(with a prepared food and beverage tax only) are taking the burden because all Charlotte tax payers benefit from the Panthers being a part of Charlotte, whether they watch the team or not.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Panthro' timestamp='1358437162' post='2101298']
I don't hate him as a person. I hate him as an owner of a team that I cheer for. Sorry I dont want a tax increase to renovate a billionaires private business.

If every person who attended the games would pay $35 more per ticket for 5 years he would get his $125M....you are using the escalators and jumbotrons you pay for them. And when I buy a ticket I will pay for them as well.
[/quote]
The same analogy can be given to public education....I don't have kids in CMS but we continue to hear "more tax payer money for teachers salaries". I could easily say, if you don't make enough teaching find another vocation, but common sense dictates that educating our kids is for the public good. An NFL franchise can reap economic benefits for a region. Despite what naysayers and polls show, no city wants to lose an NFL franchise.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Floppin' timestamp='1358437527' post='2101310']

Tax payers are taking the burden because all Charlotte tax payers benefit from the Panthers being a part of Charlotte, whether they watch the team or not.
[/quote]

I say the Panthers benefit from being in Charlotte more so than Charlotte benefits from the Panthers.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Panthro' timestamp='1358437311' post='2101304']

still wrong about how salary caps work
[/quote]

No, I'm not. If you're so magnificently well-informed, explain how we end up well over the salary cap if we're not spending the money.

For the record, it's easy to determine how much a team actually spends per year, based on how much cap space carryover they take into the next season. Considering we have around $3 million total, that means our outlays were $117 million this season. Cheap my ass.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MrTouchdown' timestamp='1358437512' post='2101309']
Panthro they are not taxing your house. They are taxing the imbreds from the "upstate" and Cabarrus county that go to the Buffalo Wild Wings next to the NascarHOF
[/quote]
So everyone that goes to BWW is guilty of incest?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Panthro' timestamp='1358437634' post='2101313']
I say the Panthers benefit from being in Charlotte more so than Charlotte benefits from the Panthers.
[/quote]

And you would be wrong. The economic footprint provided to local business on game days as well as the socio-economic benefit to the city of having a professional football team as it relates to business growth and real estate sales. You could go on and on, but an NFL team provides the city and surrounding businesses with millions upon millions of dollars of revenue that the team doesn't directly see.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='10/26/93' timestamp='1358437683' post='2101315']

So everyone that goes to BWW is guilty of incest?
[/quote]

No, but you ARE guilty of bad taste in restaurants.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='fieryprophet' timestamp='1358437674' post='2101314']
No, I'm not. If you're so magnificently well-informed, explain how we end up well over the salary cap if we're not spending the money.

For the record, it's easy to determine how much a team actually spends per year, based on how much cap space carryover they take into the next season. Considering we have around $3 million total, that means our outlays were $117 million this season. Cheap my ass.
[/quote]
I never said he is not spending money. I am saying that the salary cap in no way reflects the amount of money being spent on a salaries in a given year.

The only amount Jerry is required to pay is the guaranteed amount which is prorated over the length of the contract.

Just because someone signs a $100M contract does not mean he is guaranteed to be paid $100M.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Panthro' timestamp='1358437634' post='2101313']

[/quote]

Then we have a fundamental disagreement.

I see it as the opposite.

Not that is really gives definite answers, and has flaws. But there is an interesting study about the economic impact of pro sports in Charlotte.

http://www.charlottesports.org/downloads/CharlotteMSASportsEconomy.pdf
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

If you don't like city governments giving tax money to teams, just stick with that complaint. I can at least respect that opinion. But people calling JR cheap is total bullshit.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Floppin' timestamp='1358437895' post='2101318']
And you would be wrong. The economic footprint provided to local business on game days as well as the socio-economic benefit to the city of having a professional football team as it relates to business growth and real estate sales. You could go on and on, but an NFL team provides the city and surrounding businesses with millions upon millions of dollars of revenue that the team doesn't directly see.
[/quote]

[url="http://news.illinois.edu/news/04/1117stadiums.html"]http://news.illinois...17stadiums.html[/url]