131 replies to this topic

#31 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,550 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

I hope Jerry doesn't die for a really long time so we won't have to deal with this. I really don't know what I'd do if the team I've loved since the 5th grade suddenly moved to a new city.

Hopefully, but with him being really old and having a transplanted heart. His odds really aren't good five-seven years from now.

#32 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,132 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

He was the first guy I thought of... Him and the NASCAR guys, but idk if I'd like that.

As long as it's not dumbass Bruton Smith

#33 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

tengo baking soda

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,253 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

I hope Jerry doesn't die for a really long time so we won't have to deal with this. I really don't know what I'd do if the team I've loved since the 5th grade suddenly moved to a new city.

Don't worry about that happening. If it does, a few years down the road, some new billionaire will bring in a new team and name it after himself....maybe he'll call it the "Tomcats" or maybe the "Dickcats", I don't know. Either way, there is no way that could go wrong.

#34 markbm62

markbm62

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

New Mexico Panthers has a nice ring to it :D
I hope the Big Cat keeps going for a long time I just can't see the Panthers in some other state even in my own.
I would still support them but it would feel like I had lost something.

#35 countryboi

countryboi

• HUDDLER
  • 2,415 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC born and raised

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Jordan would be a fine owner but i dont the he has the capital to run a football team and a basketball team. He had to put a group together to help by the bobcats. The only way jordan gets involved is with an ownership group as a minority owner.

#36 nctarheel0619

nctarheel0619

• HUDDLER
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

I'm not worried about this. A team will be in NC and SC for years. No worry about our beloved Panthers moving.

#37 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,733 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

I pray that our next owner is someone not from NC. The whole "it must be a local" philosophy is a big reason Charlotte sports sucks. We keep giving our trust to local big wigs who care more about making money off their people than giving them a winner. Keeping it in the family has only led to losing.

And people from out of state won't want to take money from the locals, because why?

What line of logic are you following here exactly?

I'm not against someone from out of state owning the team, I'm just curious as to why you said what you said here.

#38 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

First of all, this article is bullshit to sell this to us better. "no no we have to pay this so after richardson sells the team the new owner won't want to move them to LA." If that were so important to him he could cut a check. Don't buy this for a second.

yup.

#39 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

And people from out of state won't want to take money from the locals, because why?

What line of logic are you following here exactly?

I'm not against someone from out of state owning the team, I'm just curious as to why you said what you said here.

An in state owner will always get the "bishop" treatment. People are so happy "one of us" is the boss, they excuse and look past bullshit and make these dudes infalliable. An in state guy is more apt to get away with selling losing. An owner thats an outsider will not be given the blind trust dudes like Shinn and Richardson got not because of their business acumen, but from simply being natives of the Carolinas. People are automatically gonna be more watchful over a businessman thats not from this region. The "put the local Boss Hog in charge" theory hasnt produced long term success in nearly 20 years and led to another franchise moving away alltogether.

#40 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,042 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

Richardson won't be selling the team, the most he could do is sell his 48% share. Even then it is unclear if he owns all the 48% himself or whether it is shared by other family members. In any event it is not as easy to move teams as people think and the other owners would have to agree to it. I can see where you might want to do it if we were Jacksonville and losing money but not when you are one of the most financially successful of the franchises in a small market.

#41 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,420 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Any other Carolina big wigs you think would step up to the plate at that point?

Remember this name......

IGO

#42 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Yeah if we ever moved you should just go ahead and kill me

#43 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,042 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

An in state owner will always get the "bishop" treatment. People are so happy "one of us" is the boss, they excuse and look past bullshit and make these dudes infalliable. An in state guy is more apt to get away with selling losing. An owner thats an outsider will not be given the blind trust dudes like Shinn and Richardson got not because of their business acumen, but from simply being natives of the Carolinas. People are automatically gonna be more watchful over a businessman thats not from this region. The "put the local Boss Hog in charge" theory hasnt produced long term success in nearly 20 years and led to another franchise moving away alltogether.

That is ridiculous logic. You really believe that most PSL fans are fine with losing because Richardson is from Spartanburg?? I wouldn't care if he were from the moon or downtown Charlotte. I want to win games and championships and don't care where the owner is from. I can confidently say that most other PSL fans would totally agree with me. The fact that most people are grateful that Richardson brought us the franchise is not at all granting permission to lose all the time. The fact that the stands have been pretty empty at times this year certainly tells me that fans aren't fine with the losing lately. The knock on absentee owners is more about not being involved in managing the team on a day to day basis rather than where they are living or are from.

#44 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

That is ridiculous logic. You really believe that most PSL fans are fine with losing because Richardson is from Spartanburg??

He's actually from Fayetteville. But went to college in Spartanburg, and yes, he's been given a pass for so long because of his roots. Had he been someone from outside of this region, he would've been questioned a lot sooner and more than likely sold the team by now.

I wouldn't care if he were from the moon or downtown Charlotte. I want to win games and championships and don't care where the owner is from. I can confidently say that most other PSL fans would totally agree with me. The fact that most people are grateful that Richardson brought us the franchise is not at all granting permission to lose all the time. The fact that the stands have been pretty empty at times this year certainly tells me that fans aren't fine with the losing lately. The knock on absentee owners is more about not being involved in managing the team on a day to day basis rather than where they are living or are from.

I'll believe what you said when we actually have someone not from NC running the joint. Until then, its lip service. People defend mediocrity and losing because the CEO is a native. People give him blind trust and hope because he's someone they relate to or they cant fathom him ripping them off. Put someone they know nothing about or heard of at CEO of the Panthers and the perception and trust changes. If it werent a big deal, people wouldnt worry about succession plans and who's taking over. But they do, very much so.

#45 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,713 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

The Levines, Belks, Sabates, etc. could get a group together to buy out JRR's share (I think I read somewhere some if not all of those are already minority shareholders anyway). I imagine this just ending up being a minority takeover with a disappointing lack of drama and threats the media would love to see and the sun comes out the next day like it always does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com