59 replies to this topic

#46 Actionman0z

Actionman0z

Strong Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

I have a feeling we're being told "Thanks but NO THANKS" for those spots.

#47 Boltergeist

Boltergeist

Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef!?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

hmm. Jeremy Bates.
That wouldn't be the worst QBs coach.

The Reich hiring in San Diego also makes Ramsdell available.

#48 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,633 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Good point.

#49 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,633 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Ugh :(

At least it was nice to know we had options, right?

Right? :unsure:

#50 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

I'm thisclose to just going on a gif-posting rampage.

I need to stay away from the Huddle for a few days.

FML.

#51 magnus

magnus

Eternal Gameface

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

oh well. At least he'll have a job in Cleveland.
disappointing.

#52 BeasonBeastingBacks

BeasonBeastingBacks

Farewell Sweet Prince

• HUDDLER
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

DeAngelo Williams@DeAngeloRB
Welcome back coach!

/foreshadowing

#53 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,633 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

Skipper is a positive.

I'm good with Proehl's promotion too, though cautiously so.

The other decisions? Oy :(

#54 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,633 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Per a retweet from Adam Caplan, looks like Bobby April will be named Special Teams Coach of the Raiders.

#55 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,633 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

Skipper's hire is now confirmed by Joe Person.

So at this point...

OC - Mike Shula (also remains QB Coach)

RB Coach - Jim Skipper

WR Coach - Ricky Proehl

ST Coach - Richard Rodgers

Linebacker Coach is the only position still undecided.

#56 magnus

magnus

Eternal Gameface

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

My biggest concern with it, outside of not having a QBs coach (and I'm really hoping that's just untrue) is that there's not much to work with. Chud was bright, had Turner to bounce off, and I don't know how much he had Shula's input but Shula could provide input based on his sense of Cam.

Shula has Newton in his ear, no QBs coach, an inexperienced WRs coach, and a very experienced RBs coach. It leans run heavy on influence, and I don't know that there's enough experience in the passing game spots. Which would've been resolved with a QBs coach.

I do think Hoener can become a larger asset, and he's at times been the guy in the coach's box (that might become he and Proehl?). They definitely need to drop in an offensive QC guy, and in my opinion, another offensive assistant.

#57 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,633 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

My biggest concern with it, outside of not having a QBs coach (and I'm really hoping that's just untrue) is that there's not much to work with. Chud was bright, had Turner to bounce off, and I don't know how much he had Shula's input but Shula could provide input based on his sense of Cam.

Shula has Newton in his ear, no QBs coach, an inexperienced WRs coach, and a very experienced RBs coach. It leans run heavy on influence, and I don't know that there's enough experience in the passing game spots. Which would've been resolved with a QBs coach.

I do think Hoener can become a larger asset, and he's at times been the guy in the coach's box (that might become he and Proehl?). They definitely need to drop in an offensive QC guy, and in my opinion, another offensive assistant.

The team site article about the changes doesn't actually say that Shula will do double duty. Pretty sure it was Person who said that. And the staff page lists Shula under only a single title (OC).

Agree they'll need an offensive QC. And like you, I'd prefer a separate QB Coach, Ramsdell likely being the most obvious choice but Bates an option also. And isn't Jim Zorn available too?

#58 magnus

magnus

Eternal Gameface

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

The team site article about the changes doesn't actually say that Shula will do double duty. Pretty sure it was Person who said that. And the staff page lists Shula under only a single title (OC).

Agree they'll need an offensive QC. And like you, I'd prefer a separate QB Coach, Ramsdell likely being the most obvious choice but Bates an option also. And isn't Jim Zorn available too?

yeah, Zorn is, and he did that couple of years under Cam Cameron so he'd have some idea. It would make sense for Shula to want to do both jobs, I just don't tihnk it's for the best overall. It's a very 1980s thought, not having a QBs coach. Ramsdell would be a massive upgrade from no one obviously, but I don't know that it doesn't make more sense to go with Norv (or if Martz surfaces in Oakland).

Either way, they've gotta have the third-tier guys on offense (Brown notwithstanding), and IMO, an asst ST guy too.

Pags staying hurts at LBs, nothing on Babich and I guess they're talking to Van Gorder.

#59 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,633 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Word within the past hour that Bob Babich has been named the Jaguars DC, so he's out :(

Person reports LB Coach options include Brian Van Gorder and Jaguar LB Coach Mark Duffner.

Duffner's got a lot of college experience bur has been coaching in the pros since 1997 with the Bengals, Packers and Jaguars.

I remember Van Gorder from the years he spent as the Falcons DC. Odd looking guy. Looks like the majority of his experience is college coaching.

#60 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,456 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Raiders hire 2 time Special Teams Coach Of The Year Bobby April.

lol panthers. Rivera's incompetence is like some sort of sick twisted internet joke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.