Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Dispelling some half-truths about Shula's time in Tampa

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#37 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

If the OP is correct and he wasn't really bad in Tampa, why did it take 13 years for an NFL team to give him another shot?

Actually there hasn't been a single year he has been out of work. He is so inept about offenses that he has stayed employed constantly by NFL teams. I can only imagine that it is due on how terrible an offensive mind he is and how little respect he has around the league.

#38 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Well, he elected to go to college to essentially take a dream job. That accounts for four years, leaving nine where no one would consider him as a viable OC candidate.

Fixed that for ya. :)

#39 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

You have to be kidding me. Your entire support is based on the "Yeah, you have a point, but THIS time it's different." argument?

I haven't said I think Shula is going to be the greatest OC ever the way many of you have already declaring him a bust in Carolina before he has coached a game.

But having said that, it is different. Different situation, different QB, different playbook, etc.

Was Belichek's experience different in New England than it was in Cleveland?? i wonder if Kraft thought, "yeah he stunk in Cleveland but THIS time it's different"

#40 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

obviously our FO (who i often disagree with) saw something they liked in him.

what?

#41 CollegePanther

CollegePanther

President

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

what?

I often disagree with our front office.

#42 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

I haven't said I think Shula is going to be the greatest OC ever the way many of you have already declaring him a bust in Carolina before he has coached a game.

But having said that, it is different. Different situation, different QB, different playbook, etc.

Was Belichek's experience different in New England than it was in Cleveland?? i wonder if Kraft thought, "yeah he stunk in Cleveland but THIS time it's different"

I don't think he's necessarily going to be a bust. But that doesn't mean he was a good hire. I think at best he's a mediocre OC who happens to have some very strong offensive talent on his squad. And we had an opportunity to take that talent and pair it with a very strong and proven offensive mind. Instead we made the most conservative call possible.

To compare it to a game, it was fourth and a foot late in the game at midfield, and we punted.

Was Shula your first choice?

#43 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

I often disagree with our front office.

right. 2 statements in that sentence that contradict each other.. ;)

#44 Sloth

Sloth

idk

HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Actually there hasn't been a single year he has been out of work.

As a QB coach.

How many offers to run an offense? Before the Carolina "Island of Misfit Toys" Panthers came knocking?

#45 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

SUPPORTER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

You know, there's a reason that complicated offenses don't have a stellar postseason record: when the games get tight execution becomes far more important than subtlety. If this teams plays a bit conservatively but Cam can execute his decisions quickly and improvise when the situation calls for it, we might fare better than trying to over complicate things like Chud did earlier in the year.

This team has to be able to win their fair share of plays with no trickery involved before it can try to get cute; that's one problem that Chud had, in winning the exotic plays and losing the consistent ones.

#46 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

You know, there's a reason that complicated offenses don't have a stellar postseason record: when the games get tight execution becomes far more important than subtlety. If this teams plays a bit conservatively but Cam can execute his decisions quickly and improvise when the situation calls for it, we might fare better than trying to over complicate things like Chud did earlier in the year.

This team has to be able to win their fair share of plays with no trickery involved before it can try to get cute; that's one problem that Chud had, in winning the exotic plays and losing the consistent ones.

So you're arguing in support of changing the offense, rather than supporting Shula? If we just wanted to change the offense to a more simple system, we still could have found someone who hasn't been a complete failure.

#47 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Perhaps not you specifically, but many are saying in essence, "well Shula will be better than Chud for reason x, y, and z". Or that he's better than Shurmur.

Please remember we had the whole universe of coaches to choose from, both NFL and NCAA (at least those that were open to a new job). It is going to be tough to convince me that anything in Shula's history indicated that he was our best selection.

So others say to just be patient and let things play out. The only problem is we are potentially wasting a critical year of having a really special QB. We need to stop settling for someone that might be okay, and build an organization top to bottom that gives us the best chance for success.

#48 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Those are fair points OP. What about his time @ Alabama?

Mike Shula took over a Bama program that had just been sentenced to five years NCAA probation, banned from bowl games for two years, and penalized the forfeiture of 21 scholarships over a period of three years (due to a Bama booster paying $200,000 for high school DT Albert Means).

In his four years as head coach under the harshest NCAA penalties ever placed upon an SEC team, Bama went 26-24.

Nick Saban took over from Shula after the NCAA penalties had already had their effect and won the national championship in 2009 with seniors and red-shirt seniors recruited by Shula.