#2 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Why the fug am I not hosting this game right now...

#3 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,732 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Just wait 'til next year.

#4 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Can you give me some Big Ass Healthy Line Men, and some Big Ass F*Ckin Playmaking Receivers, with those "French Fries" and "Pound Cake", while you at it!!???

#5 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,997 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Posted Image

#6 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Ole Colin has it all. Decent defense great oline running game. TE. Just serviceable receivers though. But my God. I don't know if I can stand the cam and Colin comparisons.

#7 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • 7,193 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

The notion of building an elite defense these days is silly. You need an adequate defense. You need a ton of playmakers and good offensive system. None of the teams left in the playoffs have a top defense other than the Niners and they're off today but the offense bailed them out.

#8 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Agree that he's thinking it should have been us, especially given how we played Atlanta this year.

#9 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Ole Colin has it all. Decent defense great oline running game. TE. Just serviceable receivers though. But my God. I don't know if I can stand the cam and Colin comparisons.

This is why I'd rather see Atlanta win.

And that was a catch on that poorly thrown ball by Ryan going to review now.

He had his hands underneath it. Unless they're going to say the ground aided in him catching it, despite the fact it didn't touch the ground.

#10 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Agree that he's thinking it should have been us, especially given how we played Atlanta this year.

#11 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,193 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

frikkin mike shula.

seriously?

#12 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

The notion of building an elite defense these days is silly. You need an adequate defense. You need a ton of playmakers and good offensive system. None of the teams left in the playoffs have a top defense other than the Niners and they're off today but the offense bailed them out.

I agree with you whole heartedly. And that was one of the things that pissed me off with Rivera early in 2012. He had this 'bend but don't break defense'. And all that defense did, was keep the Panther offense off the field long enough, for the opposition to score a TD, while depriving the Panther offense of more possessions.

I can't tell you how many times, I yelled at my TV early this season, telling Rivera "Just let the damn team score, so the offense can get the ball back". That's one of the reasons, why the Panthers were in so many high scoring games in 2011. It was because the "poorer" defense allowed quick scores, so the offense could get the ball back and score.

And sure enough, if you look at the overall 2012 stats. The Panthers had a good offense (#12), but they didn't have the ball enough, and their #5 in DVOA offensive ranking illustrates this?

That was Rivera's fault--early in the season, believing too much in his defense at the expense of the offense ('bend but don't break', allowing teams to dink and dunk against them up the field).

And to make matters worse, he did the same in the 4th Qtr of games (placing his faith in his defense, instead of allowing his offense to get the first down or score/keep scoring), just to watch the defense blow those as well, instead of believing in his offense to get the 1st down or score, holding on to win the game.

#13 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

frikkin mike shula.

seriously?

Exactly.....

#14 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

They were off last week too. I'm confused with those top rated defenses. Even the Seahawks with their highly rated defense wasn't doing much stopping.

#15 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

They were off last week too. I'm confused with those top rated defenses. Even the Seahawks with their highly rated defense wasn't doing much stopping.

Because most of the better defenses today, aren't as good as the better defenses of yesteryear (both in key area strength, and the fact that the offensives have better rules in their now).

So because of this, teams like Houston, Frisco, Denver, Baltimore (?) and Seattle can fatten up against most of the scheduled opposition. However, when they play elite offensive teams (like in the playoffs), they come back to earth and look more normal.

Truly dominant defensive teams, that can maul you with the DLine or strong Middle or Outside Linebackers, can shut you out on a good day. In today's NFL, so many good defense, are good in the secondary, or it's a give and take. Even the Giants, who have a great DLine, are/were inconsistent, cause their secondary sucked. And even their vaunted Dline was highly inconsistent this year.

So as you guys were saying, in today's NFL, no really good teams (are you listening Rivera, Gettleman and Richardson) is going to spend the bulk of their money on their defense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com