22 replies to this topic

#1 GoCarolina8990

GoCarolina8990

All Day

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

It seems as though some guys just get it. Its not a coincidence the two Harbaugh brothers are going head to head with each other in the Super Bowl.

Say, what does Jim Harbaugh have that Ron Rivera doesn't? Ron isn't very vocal on the sidelines, Jim is. Is that why Harbaugh is better? Tony Dungy wasn't very vocal on the sidelines if I remember but he was a good coach, so that negates that argument.

Imagine you are a player in the NFL and its your first day of work. You were in the conference listening to your Head Coach speak what would you want to hear? What don't you wanna hear? What gets through to you?

I hear the term leader of men a lot in determining who is actually going to make a good HC in the NFL what does this exactly mean, to you? and what qualities make a Head Coach good. Do some guys have qualities that are bad that we just don't see?

#2 Brokenbad

Brokenbad

Cam is my hero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Game planning.

Clock management, key decisions, utilizing talent...stuff like that ya know...

#3 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 11,886 posts

Coaching speeches are the most overrated thing in the NFL. They're more part of Hollywood than the gridiron.

It's about putting your players in the best position to win, knowing how and when to delegate, knowing when to take calculated risks, and maintaining order in the locker room.

There are a lot of different ways to do that, none of them easy.

#4 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 3,632 posts

An understanding of the game, a good "feel" for the game on how to manage situations, good personnel evaluator - both of players and coaches (the GM may make the personnel moves, but the coach has to figure out who to play and how to implement them in their system and game plan), and a good motivator to get the most out of his players,

I'd say that's the gist of it.

#5 Jim Harbaugh

Jim Harbaugh

__Ready To Win__

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

See my Great Career.

#6 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

What gets through to you?

Figuring out the above for each individual is what makes a coach good.
Figuring it out quickly makes one great.
Figuring it out quickly & consistently makes one a legend.

#7 dpanther69

dpanther69

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

You need to be a good evaluator of talent, coach to win and not to lose, a good clock manager and make the necessary gametime adjustments.

RR strengths:

He is a decent evaluator of talent (except for Nakamura). I would have perferred Reggie Smith.

Good with the Xs and Os on defense

A better motivator than we see on the sideline based on the fact the guys didn't quit on him (although I will not give him all the credit. The firing of Hurney I think made everyone decide to pull their head out of their ass)

RR weakness

His biggest flaw was he coached scared. In other words you need to play to win not to lose.

Plus poor clock management.

#8 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,571 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

it's won't be qualities much different than a good leader of any organization.

it's not the x's and o's.

it's not necessarily the joes.

it's what you do with them.

it's on having a good vision for what you expect that team to be and what you want them to do.

it's being passionate about that vision.

it's in being able to sell that to your team and get them to be as passionate as you are about it.

it's in being able to see what each individual has and what they are capable of and then getting that individual to have confidence in that, confidence in their role, and giving them the tools and trainers to help them maximize their potential.

it's in being flexible and able to adapt. you adapt what you do or want to do to fit the guys you have and getting them to adapt to what you want to do. it's also in game time that you adapt what you want to do to take advantage of what the other team is giving you.

it's in surrounding yourself with a staff of people that can help bring the best out in your players.

it's in increasing the ability to produce in each player and then putting your players in the right situations to find success.

it's in being able to make the tough decisions for the group at the right time, knowing who to trust in crunch time and getting your players to handle crunch time.

#9 chknwing

chknwing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

well, I think its the mentality of the approach they took. Rivera, for whatever reason, came in with an "Evaluation Process" type mentality. John Harbaugh came in with a Superbowl or bust mentality. If your not expecting the best from your players and expecting to win every game. You wont.

#10 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • 29,571 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

well, I think its the mentality of the approach they took. Rivera, for whatever reason, came in with an "Evaluation Process" type mentality. John Harbaugh came in with a Superbowl or bust mentality. If your not expecting the best from your players and expecting to win every game. You wont.

agreed.

harbaugh came in with a win now mentality.

rivera came in with a develop now, win later mentality.

harbaugh was also more prepared for the job.

#11 Cracka McNasty

Cracka McNasty

WWNPHD?

• HUDDLER
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

The best argument I can make in Rivera's favor is that people say he should be a "leader of MEN". We don't have a team of men. We have a team filled with kids and inexperienced "veterans". we are one of the youngest teams in the league, and it shows on a game to game basis (DISCLAIMER: I know that gross, smitty, kalil, etc. are not young, and I would consider them men. They are the ones who seem to respect Rivera the most from what I have seen). We are young, and young guys can be stupid, stubborn and arrogant. Once everyone on the team grows up a little bit, we could have something special.

just my opinion.

#12 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Champions are made in the offseason.

• HUDDLER
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

The most overlooked most important aspect to being a head coach is identifying your own.

By that I mean knowing your team inside and out. Knowing what players have what skills.

Secondly, after figuring out the team, assemble a staff that coaches to the specs of your roster.

Finally, putting a gameplan together that accentuates your teams strengths, masks the deficiencies, while simultaneously exposing the opponents vulnerabilities.

In today's NFL this approach is almost impossible as you almost always hire a staff before they even meet the team. So, there's that.

#13 dpanther69

dpanther69

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

agreed.

harbaugh came in with a win now mentality.

rivera came in with a develop now, win later mentality.

harbaugh was also more prepared for the job.

Well the time to win is now, I don't disagree with your points but in RR defense there is no comparsion in talent. The 9ers are probably from top to bottom one of the most talented teams in the league. I don

#14 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • 29,571 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Well the time to win is now, I don't disagree with your points but in RR defense there is no comparsion in talent. The 9ers are probably from top to bottom one of the most talented teams in the league. I don

they are considered that talented in part because of what harbaugh and his staff has pulled out of them.

what were they doing before he got there?

i'm not going to carry that discussion any further, tho. i've spent more than enough time on it in other threads.

i just believe 100% that harbaugh pulls more out of his players and takes them to a higher level of play and production than rivera has figured out to do and that he's better about managing a team and a game than rivera has learned to do.

#15 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

The best argument I can make in Rivera's favor is that people say he should be a "leader of MEN". We don't have a team of men. We have a team filled with kids and inexperienced "veterans". we are one of the youngest teams in the league, and it shows on a game to game basis (DISCLAIMER: I know that gross, smitty, kalil, etc. are not young, and I would consider them men. They are the ones who seem to respect Rivera the most from what I have seen). We are young, and young guys can be stupid, stubborn and arrogant. Once everyone on the team grows up a little bit, we could have something special.

just my opinion.

We really aren't that young, around middle of the pack actually. Our offense is slightly older than the D as expected.

http://www.nflen.com...-including.html.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.