227 replies to this topic

#166 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Gettleman won't be running specific plays but from what I have read he absolutely will be involved in what the team runs and their basic philosophy. He has said in every conversation that he wants to protect the quarterback (you can read that as - beef up the line and keep him in the pocket the vast majority of the time). He is not going to want Newton running like he did this year and last. Rivera is not a big read option guy either and Shula isn't as well. So I don't know why people think that Gettleman won't influence this because he will. The read option guy is gone to Cleveland. But don't get your panties in a wad, maybe Stewart, Williams or both will finally earn their money. And Newton will still run and break big plays, it just won't be on that many designed runs.

Tell me the 10 best offenses based on yards per game and how many use the read option. Yeah that would be Washington. And people forget that they had a 1600 yard rusher and it wasn't RG3. Traditional offenses make up the large majority of successful offenses in the NFL by far.

And the Panthers were one of them, along with top 5-8 in offensive DVOA. Let's not forget.

Nonetheless, that's just the genius of Cam and one of the reasons why Chud used him too much.

I agree, the other offenses have good 1000yd rushers. Not sure if we're ever going to get that with Cam, Tolbert, D'Angelo and Stewart all sharing the ball, till you get rid of either D'Angelo or Stewart. I'm all fine with the offense of 2011, with Cam accumulating 500-700 yds rushing--mainly off pocket breakaways and 3-5 planned runs a game, along with 4200+ yards passing.

PS: You wrote a good piece, response earlier to Teeray.

#167 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,646 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Keyword: "staple"

#168 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

I can't get behind doing away with it. That threat needs to be there.

Limiting it? Sure.

if you mean by keeping the defense honest via Cam, I would say Cam's ability to scramble will do that by itself, for your logic to work there would have to never be a broken play where Cam could just gash the Defense and that's just not going to happen, so regardless defenses will have to gameplay for it and look out for it on throughout the game. aka keeping them honest and less likely to rush the passer

#169 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

this would be a bad thing and leave a ton of points off the table and games put on the L column.

the threat has to be there. he has to make it be there. designed runs have to be a part of the scheme, not a significant part, but they have to be there none-the-less.

The threat is already there, it's always there and will always be there as long as Cam is our QB. As I told Scot only way your logic works is if Cam will never scramble on a broken play again, and that's just not going to happen he's going to scramble designed or not, your fear is predicated on a fallacy.

#170 xlightsoutx

xlightsoutx

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

You know what exposes men who play the QB position to hits? The game of football.

Some of you are fuging soft. Cam is going to take hits regardless. I'd rather him take them when he can brace himself and make himself compact, rather than when he is going through his throwing motion in the pocket, takes a hit, and now he needs shoulder/elbow surgery because he couldn't brace himself.

#171 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Along with others, I hope the read option in some form remains part of our offense. While I don't think it benefits our running backs (and limiting it may be why our backs ran a bit better as the year progressed), many of Cam's big gains have come off option plays. You take away that element of our game, and this offense becomes much more pedestrian.

One thing is a must...we have to be much less predictable with our formations than we were early this year, and we have to play fake more to keep defenders honest. Maybe someday we will have a finely tuned o-line and passing game, and Cam can just stand there in an empty set shotgun like Manning or Brady with the whole world knowing it's going to be a pass and still be successful. We're not there yet.

#172 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

ugh.

one of his strengths is as a pocket passer. he's got an incredible arm in addition to being a great runner. and again, no one is saying eliminate it...add to it. allow . him to be the true versatile QB, the true DUAL THREAT QB he can be, wants to be, and should be. a complete QB.

you limit him to being a read option QB and you stunt his growth as much as if you were trying to make him just a pocket passer or game manager.

do you think he wants to be labeled as a read option QB? if you think thats the case you're being dumb.

no one wants to take away the read option. they want to provide more options for cam and this offense. you limit it and you make this offense easier to figure out and stop. i don't care what hole you're trying to put him in, read option...pocket passer...that hole is going to end up burying his potential and eventually his career. the more versatile you make...the more versatile you ALLOW him to be, the greater he becomes.

You can't make the read option into some gimmick in the middle of the game. Cam should be in the pistol formation at least 70% of the time. Where the read-option give, read option keep, and play action pass can all flourish. When I watch the 9ers offense it almost look like they're cheating. In fact, if they win 3 superbowls in a row with that offense the commish might outlaw it. That's how potent it is. Even the low talent Skins looked unstoppable at times. And the seahawks was dropping 50 per. Why can't we do the same? because Cam is fragile? Come on, man!

#173 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

If you try to limit it, it becomes mostly useless. Same as if you try to force it like we may have doen at the beginning of the year, it becomes useless. It has to be used for a purpose that does not include "just sprinkle it in". The flow of the game and the defense should dictate that, not preconceived limits on how many times to use it in a single game.

I wanna vote up every post you make but there is a limit.

#174 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 12,494 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

I think in the hype over the read option, people forget that most teams in the playoffs this year did not run the read option at all. Of those teams that did, San Francisco is not really a read option team. They ran it against Green Bay because it works and the Packers didn't adjust to it. Notice that they did not run the read option more than 2 time against Atlanta. When they did Atlanta snuffed it.

San Fran ran the read option all day against the Falcons. The QB only kept it twice because the DE never collapsed on the RB.

#175 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

I recall Palmer taking a bad hit outside of the pocket as a pocket passer. I think that in the same scenario Cam would have been able to take off. In my opinion the read option is a luxury, not something to base a professional football team's offense around.

Yes it is a Luxury to have because only 4 teams have the QB capable of doing it. 3 of those 4 teams were in the playoffs with top 5 running games. Now we want to limit that luxury so we can ground and pound. That ground and pound stuff hasn't work in a while that's why you only see only certain teams deep in the playoffs every year.

#176 micnificent28

micnificent28

• HUDDLER
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

He never mentioned taking it away as a whole, but to not use it as a base offense, a la chud.... Did you watch the first half of this season?

Some of you only see the first half of the season. They tried something it didnt work. They moved on and the offense was better for it.

#177 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

i swear to god every running qb comes looks great at first...then the defense gets tape on em and they fail or they end up hurt......... CLASSIC(never goes out style) pocket passing is where the game belongs and where it will stay. you cant stop a great passer no matter how much film you study because they make good decisions and most times are very accurate. they know to how read defense and go through progressions. they know when to extend a play or run for the first down..

this is great news because newton can become like a rodgers.....a guy who runs to escape pressure and extend plays not by design. its great to have a mobile qb like that and you could still mix a little read option here and there.. but for the most part it will be a pro style offense.

Oh, the great Aaron Rodgers? Isn't he that guy that got manhandled by that feeble minded no defense reading read option QB named Kaepernick? Apparently the great pocket was stopped, easily by the 9ers. What's your obsession with pocket passers? What does that even mean?

#178 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Oh, the great Aaron Rodgers? Isn't he that guy that got manhandled by that feeble minded no defense reading read option QB named Kaepernick? Apparently the great pocket was stopped, easily by the 9ers. What's your obsession with pocket passers? What does that even mean?

Get back to us when Kaepernick wins a Superbowl and an MVP! You're placing The Cart Before The Wheel.

Rogers, already has both. And remember, career bust--Alex Smith took this team to the Conference Finals last year.

Can we show some respect, balance and perspective, please??? So now you're dissing Aaron Rogers? SMH

Geesh! :sick:

#179 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

yeah of course you can get hurt playing in the pocket...you can always get hurt playing football...lol

and that makes even more undestanding why a guy should stay in the pocket because you are already going to take your fair share of shots....no need to run out there for more lol

but runnings qbs dont win superbowls like pocket guys do....most great qbs are pocket guys.

i love a guy who can run its makes him that more lethal....but dont make it your bread and butter. always go through your progressions first as a passer then run. i have nothing against running qbs......

Maybe the reason 'pocket passers' were winning those superbowls was because there weren't many hybrid QBs. Have you ever thought of that? Now there are 4, 3 made the playoffs and 1 in the superbowl. That says a lot. That doesn't bode well for pocket passers.

#180 poorboysrev

poorboysrev

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

You can't make the read option into some gimmick in the middle of the game. Cam should be in the pistol formation at least 70% of the time. Where the read-option give, read option keep, and play action pass can all flourish. When I watch the 9ers offense it almost look like they're cheating. In fact, if they win 3 superbowls in a row with that offense the commish might outlaw it. That's how potent it is. Even the low talent Skins looked unstoppable at times. And the seahawks was dropping 50 per. Why can't we do the same? because Cam is fragile? Come on, man!

They won't. How about you let them win one before you crown them the best team ever. The Giants have won 2 Super Bowls, The Packers 1, Saints 1 etc. All without the read option. Is the read option/pistol offense unstoppable in college? NFL defensive coaches will figure out how to stop it. There is no "perfect" system". It's fact that for our team(I guess I should say my team since you said you are only a Panthers fan because of Cam) The read option worked better when we finally started running more pro sets also. That is numerical fact. You saying Cam doesn't need to become better in the pocket is retarded. That's not changing him into Brady it's making him better. Cam is already a good passer and getting better. Once Cam started throwing out of more pro sets(2nd half of season) his stats/game got better. That's not coincidence. Big Ben was raw, and Cam is already a better passer than he was after year 2. There's nothing wrong with wanting him to get better at passing as well as run it. You don't turn the read option into a gimmick. You use it like teams use the no huddle offense. Whenever it's effective and needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.