227 replies to this topic

#76 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

The theory that 'hybrid' QBs can't succeed so they must turn them into pocket passers only is alarming to me when there is one in the superbowl. Mind you there are only 4 in the whole league. That's extremely successful. Now we have a GM telling THE Cam Newton that his talent is not valuable here in the NFL so we gonna get you kill like reid got Vick killed behind a bad OL is alarming. So they can turn around and say 'running QBs can't make it in the leauge'. So they can contitinue and draft their Clausons, Grossmans, Daltons, Lucks, etc. and do away with the Wilsons, Kaepernicks, Cams, Vicks, RG3s, etc. Just systematic bull crap.

On the bright side I am now convinced you're trolling - I refuse to believe anyone could accidentally just miss the point that badly.

Thank you for the clarification.

#77 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

A lot of overreaction going on here (oh what a surprise).

Gettleman said nothing about eliminating the read Option. He just said if you use it too much or as as staple, you expose your quarterback to excessive hits. Who on this site hasn't said that!?

And when Gettleman looks at the tape, and see's how the Panthers running in out of the Shotgun with the adjacent back, he'll notice how that alignment slows/bogs down the offense as well.

I'm sure we'll see more pistol this year when it's run. But let's all calm down. LOL.

Yes he's old. Yes he's new. But he's not stupid or overreacting. It was probably just an off the cuff answer--during his interview, that we're running wild with here. The Panthers aren't going to eliminate the Read Option or the threat of it.

The OP also shaded his answer into a particular direction as well, which has obviously worked.

#78 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,919 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

No, I'm talking about people, people who have played quarterback at a high level;

If you are going to pull random quotes why not from the guy we are actually talking about??

Honestly, I take more hits in the pocket than I do outside the pocket. In the pocket, I don't see who's coming. That can be more dangerous than when you're running you've got your eyes on a swivel, aware of your surroundings,” Newton said today.
If I'm running, I know this may sound kind of crazy, but I feel more comfortable with protecting myself rather than in the pocket and being defenseless.”

http://blogs.charlot...the-pocket.html

#79 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,288 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

His jukes are quite lanky, and he doesn't slide he kind of bumbles over... but yes he does get it done.

Cam is smart not to slide. He is protecting himself. It ain't pretty, but it is smart. Much smarter runner than RGIII.

#80 Stumpy

Stumpy

Cam Ward Trolls Hard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationHickory

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

The theory that 'hybrid' QBs can't succeed so they must turn them into pocket passers only is alarming to me when there is one in the superbowl. Mind you there are only 4 in the whole league. That's extremely successful. Now we have a GM telling THE Cam Newton that his talent is not valuable here in the NFL so we gonna get you kill like reid got Vick killed behind a bad OL is alarming. So they can turn around and say 'running QBs can't make it in the leauge'. So they can contitinue and draft their Clausons, Grossmans, Daltons, Lucks, etc. and do away with the Wilsons, Kaepernicks, Cams, Vicks, RG3s, etc. Just systematic bull crap.

So, are we including Jake Locker in your "hybrid QBs" here? Considering you haven't brought up his name one time, and you said there were only 4 in the league... Or are you simply referring to CERTAIN hybrid QBs? If you are going to pull the race card, don't hide behind some bullshit like "hybrid QBs."

And if you really believe teams would be willing to sign a player to $100m contract just so they can sabotage him behind a bad OL to prove that black QBs can't succeed, then we may have just found the only poster who could make King Tarq sound reasonable in a race discussion.

#81 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

wow.. this place is oozing with fail.

all year it's been widely known, and accepted, that running the read option as our base offense has been detrimental to our team and players development. While everyone NOT NAMED Chud saw that our offense was being severely handcuffed week to week.

now our new GM points out the OBVIOUS, which includes limiting this ridiculous notion of running a read option 20 times a game, and the huddle explodes with discontent.. (almost on queue)

#82 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

I'm still on the fence about whether this is a troll or not...but...

Noone is advocating wasting Cam's talent. But it's silly to believe that if he's not running the option as the primary running play he's being wasted. Cam has tremendous potential (and existing talent) as a passer - he is not The Golden Calf of Bristol. The threat of him taking off and running can be just as effective as the act as long as it's done sparingly. You then have the added benefit of Cam not being exposed to as much punishment.

Dude, Cam is NOT the most athletic QB that ever played the game. Mike Vick was more explosive than Cam. Now they're 'managing' him like Vick with a bad OL. Vick had the threat of taking off too. He needs design runs like Wilson and Kaep so the OL can block for him. WE DON'T HAVE NE'S OL. He can't seat in the pocket all day. Just because I don't agree with your crap that never work for mobile qbs doesn't mean it's trolling.

Why can't we do things that got Kaep to the superbowl? Instead of that balanced crap. Eli barely made the playoffs in their superbowl runs. The Giants wasn't that successful. Now we want to bring that crap here. The Giants are an underdog team every single year. Even against the talentless Redskins this year. For crying out loud!

#83 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Where did he say they can't succeed? He's arguing that in the long term it's not worth it due to the injury risk. If you disagree, fine, but don't misconstrue the argument.

San Fran is in the SB because the are immensely talented in all facets of the game. Certainley the option adds another obstacle for opposing teams, but even with out they still have a top rushing attack, defense and Wr's.

Newton's talent goes beyond running, he is smart, fantastic arm, good mobility and has show flashes of talented accuracy. Gentlemen is asking Newton not to give up own his talents, but to depend more on a specific set.

You pick the some of the worst pocket passing Qb and compare them to the best "hybrid" Qbs. That's hardly a fair comparison. There are talented pocket passing Qb's you chose not to list

#84 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Dude, Cam is NOT the most athletic QB that ever played the game. Mike Vick was more explosive than Cam. Now they're 'managing' him like Vick with a bad OL. Vick had the threat of taking off too. He needs design runs like Wilson and Kaep so the OL can block for him. WE DON'T HAVE NE'S OL. He can't seat in the pocket all day. Just because I don't agree with your crap that never work for mobile qbs doesn't mean it's trolling.

Why can't we do things that got Kaep to the superbowl? Instead of that balanced crap. Eli barely made the playoffs in their superbowl runs. The Giants wasn't that successful. Now we want to bring that crap here. The Giants are an underdog team every single year. Even against the talentless Redskins this year. For crying out loud!

this guy isn't a troll.. he's just not old enough to buy a pack of smokes, much less post on this forum...

#85 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,288 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

anyone who compares Cam to Vick or RGIII.....needs to watch a lot more football of the 3 of them.

#86 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hey Gettleman, 1 of 2 QBs in the Superbowl are run option.

3 of 6 QBs in the NFC playoffs this year were run option.

#87 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

If we try to make Cam a traditional drop back passer, you are going to sabotage his career. What keeps Cam from being average, is his running ability. That part of his game is what makes him dangerous and impossible to defend.

What worries me about older guys like Gettleman, is that they are always the last ones on the curve so to speak.

They have this attitude that "This will never work, we have always done it this way and we will always do it this way". As if the NFL has become static and is never evolving.

I hope that Gettleman is a guy that understands that college and high school football has evolved, and in the NFL if you are not evolving to deal with it you are devolving just to spite it.

Thank you! Might I add, Cam is not a gifted passer. Cam is not gonna dissect an offense by taking what the defense give him. He is a call-a-play-make-a-play in the passing game guy. Now you take away his design runs. Come on, now! Even Cam said it himself that if he were a great passer like Brees he'd stay in the pocket and throw darts all day. Although I am paraphrasing. That is NOT good, I tell ya.

#88 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

But Cam has great vision, great jukes, is much bigger and knows when to slide or run out of bounds.

I like him running out of the pocket (with space), than the consistent hard hitting short yardage runs for first downs or TD's. That's what they need to lessen, be careful of or stop (especially with Tolbert there).

You're funny. You notice I mentioned Vick, right? I remember Cam had a few small finger injuries running the ball like a full back on short yardages. That crap needs to stop not the read option. There is a reason full backs are 280lbs. I really hate this organization and I like Cam. Don't know what to do.

#89 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

You're funny. You notice I mentioned Vick, right? I remember Cam had a few small finger injuries running the ball like a full back on short yardages. That crap needs to stop not the read option. There is a reason full backs are 280lbs. I really hate this organization and I like Cam. Don't know what to do.

Why are you posting here if you hate the panthers?

*cuz your trollin*

#90 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,734 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

This crappy franchise better recognize that or Cam will walk. I don't think Cam would appreciate it if he can't do his first down signal or TD celebration and his team is not winning while getting hammered every time he drops back. Bad combination, that's the crap that gets entire coaching staff and GM fired. Cam into Eli? Why!?

On the bright side I am now convinced you're trolling - I refuse to believe anyone could accidentally just miss the point that badly.

Thank you for the clarification.

This is what sold it for me. He's seriously arguing that Cam is going to be more upset about the fact that they are losing because he's not getting the chance to do his signature celebrations while doing so?

Cam takes losing better when he's allowed to do the superman??

Are you fuging kidding me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com