Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

49ers outgained Ravens 182-93 (6.3-2.7 ypc) on the ground

45 posts in this topic

Posted

Ravens were ranked a modest 11th while the Niners ranked 4th in the league in 2012

Last year the Giants ranked 32nd in the rushing yards

The year before the Packers ranked 24th

...keep telling me you need to dominate on the ground to win the game guys

I don't think anyone believes you absolutely have to dominate on the ground to win, but there is no doubt it helps. The forty niners made a few more mistakes (turnovers, key penalties) than the Ravens did, and in the end, that is what cost them the game.

Posted

Ravens were ranked a modest 11th while the Niners ranked 4th in the league in 2012

Last year the Giants ranked 32nd in the rushing yards

The year before the Packers ranked 24th

...keep telling me you need to dominate on the ground to win the game guys

SF lost this game because of bonehead mistakes and turnovers in the first half.....not because they have a good running game.

Posted

wait there are still people who believe we should devote resources and effort into crafting a running attack? But haven't they seen an NFL game at all the past 5 years?

Posted

i agree you dont need a super running game but a solid one. running backs not that valued now because it has turned to a passing game. look for rbs who can catch the ball out of the back filed too.

defense still wins championships.

Posted

Out of the 12 teams in the playoffs, 8 of them had top 16 rushing attacks. 4 of the top 5 rushing teams during the regular season made it to the playoffs. Baltimore was 11th in rushing during the season and was 5th in yds per game during the playoffs. Just because they didn't run it more than the 9ners in the Super Bowl doesn't mean they were slouches.

We don't need anymore overpaid running backs...correct. But to say it isn't vital for success is thinking one dimensionally I'm glad some of you don't have Gettleman's ear.

Posted

9ers have a strong run D, but had some really pooty play from their DBs. You take what the defense gives you. If their D was the opposite, then I'm sure the Ravens gameplan and stats would have reflected that as well.

You have to be able to do both, and take advantage of the weakness of the D. Being one dimensional either way won't get you very far.

Posted

What I'm getting from this thread is that San Fran is a known running team, and lost to a team that had 6 MORE rushing attempts; somehow this means the Panthers should run less.

Mister Love: Intelligence :: Drew Brees' mole : cute things that make you say Awww

Posted

MisterLove, we get it, Hurney overspent like crazy on our backfield, nobody disagrees with that point. The way you are wording your post is essentially saying that having a good running is actually detrimental to a team's ability to win - this is not the case, you just need to have a balance between production and price. just because Ray Rice wasn't the key factor in winning this game doesn't mean he isn't an integral part of their offense. judging by the carries Rice and Pierce got, even while being ineffective, the Ravens must have felt that a balanced offense is a winning formula.

Posted

I like you Mister Love, but not sure I'm seeing your point. If the Ravens ran the ball better, they don't even have to worry about that tense ending.

Posted

mr belding is a simpering retard and didn't realize i didn't say anything about attempts

Posted

I like you Mister Love, but not sure I'm seeing your point. If the Ravens ran the ball better, they don't even have to worry about that tense ending.

the myth that running the ball well makes you win

Posted

one day you guys will get it, until then the point flies over your mental midget heads entirely