Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Giants release DT Chris Canty

89 posts in this topic

Posted

Like I said

FA - all about defense

Draft - all about offense

not a bad plan.

i think that first round will be offense and 2nd defense. just a feeling i've got.

Posted

Not yet. Besides. why screw up the chemistry between Johnson, Hardy, Edwards? Dwan proved his worth. Canty in our scheme and our line is an enigma. We know what we have with Dwan.

we know that he was good in pass D, but pretty much a liability against the run.

canty is pretty well known by the GM. he'll know if he's a fit or not.

1 person likes this

Posted

one thing about canty is that he's the one of the guys that gettleman brought into the giants.

another is that he's a humongous guy...6'7 compared to dwan @ 6'3, and he's much better at holding his own than dwan.

i'd say if he's better than dwan, that's plenty reason to disrupt any "chemistry" that might be there. they can form chemistry with canty just like they did with dwan.

Posted

yeah I'd say yes to this one. According to roto, he graded strongly last season but wrestled with some injuries.

It'd really be just a better, younger option than Ron Edwards

Posted

It'd really be just a better, younger option than Ron Edwards

They play different positions!

Posted

Let Dwan walk, cut Ron.

Sign Canty, draft a NT in 1st round.

Let's make our DL fearful again.

Davis/Anderson - Luke - Beason

CJ - 1st rounder - Canty - Hardy

I like that front 7.

Posted

And he has played in a 3-4 defense in Dallas...

Posted

They play different positions!

pretty confident he could play anywhere on the line and find success

Posted

good point.

still he could be signed for cheaper than his remaining deal and the giants pick up the rest, right?

need a cap guy in here.

off Rotoworld

According to Canty, he was not offered a pay cut before being handed his walking papers. Signed to a six-year, $42 million deal in 2009, Canty was a 16-game starter in 2010 and 2011, but bookended those campaigns with injury-plagued seasons. Knee and groin woes limited him to nine games in 2012, though he still graded out as a top-20 defensive tackle in Pro Football Focus' ratings. He shouldn't hurt for one-year offers.

so hes a UFA and should be pretty cheap for a 1 year deal which we could squeeze in. Since only the top 51 salaries count towards the cap a year deal for like 3 mil or something would be easy peasy lemon squeezy.

1 person likes this

Posted

Come back home Chris - go Hawks!

Posted

off Rotoworld

so hes a UFA and should be pretty cheap for a 1 year deal which we could squeeze in. Since only the top 51 salaries count towards the cap a year deal for like 3 mil or something would be easy peasy lemon squeezy.

the one year deals are what we'll be seeing a lot of the next few years and i have no problem with that.

Posted

So let me get this straight. Some of you would rather have Canty. Who's coming off a leg injury, knee to be exact. Over Dwan Edwards who solidified our Line and helped it become better? The guy who was just released to make room for the Giants Cap. I'm going to let that one simmer in your brains for a minute. Yes, that's right. LET GO to make room for the cap.