Photo
- - - - -

Why Don't White-Collar Criminals Get Equal Time?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#11 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

White collar crime can be much harder to prove.

That being said, I want someone who breaks into my house punished to a greater degree than someone who embezzles from the bank I have my money in, simply because the person who breaks into my house is a greater threat to me and my family than the embezzler.

#12 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• LocationAlaska
HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

The Untouchables http://video.pbs.org/video/2320302253
Lanny Breuer is leaving his position as head of the Justice Department’s criminal division, The Washington Post reported Wednesday.
As assistant attorney general, Breuer led the effort to pursue allegations of fraud and corruption at major banks in the wake of the financial meltdown. The Post said it was unclear when Breuer will leave, and didn’t offer a reason. A DOJ spokeswoman told FRONTLINE that the department wouldn’t comment on the report.
Breuer was featured in FRONTLINE’s documentary, The Untouchables, which aired on Tuesday and explored the reasons why no Wall Street executives have been prosecuted for fraud in connection with the financial crisis. Breuer told FRONTLINE that the DOJ had pursued charges when officials found evidence of fraud. “But in those cases where we can’t bring a criminal case — and federal criminal cases are hard to bring — I have to prove that you had the specific intent to defraud. …If we cannot establish that, then we can’t bring a criminal case,” he said.
The edited transcript of his interview is here. Watch the full film here.

#13 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• LocationWilmington, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

...and you better believe that those Wall Street guys know how to cover their tracks.

#14 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

seizure of assets and public whippings... f*ck jail. You walk in a billionaire, you leave penniless and scarred. now go start your life over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users