Photo
- - - - -

Let's talk about atheism (WALL OF TEXT IN OP DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU)

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#51 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

the concept of god and soul are for me less a way to explain things or control people (though they have been used for both those purposes,) than a rejection of the impermanence of life... a consequence of the desire to believe that we are important and that no matter how insignificant and powerless we may feel in our lives, we have significance. I don't really see any evidence of permanence, significance or order in our universe and I don't really feel drawn to a belief in permanence... as such... meh.

#52 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

HUDDLER

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

since many think man invented his own god, although it doesn't make sense he would make a god to tell him not to even lust after a woman, but i digress.

Right. Because religious authority figures always live by the same rules they ask their followers to obey.

#53 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

HUDDLER

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

the concept of god and soul are for me less a way to explain things or control people (though they have been used for both those purposes,) than a rejection of the impermanence of life... a consequence of the desire to believe that we are important and that no matter how insignificant and powerless we may feel in our lives, we have significance. I don't really see any evidence of permanence, significance or order in our universe and I don't really feel drawn to a belief in permanence... as such... meh.

I guess I can agree with this for the most part, but I just find there are too many things that I, we, whatever, don't really understand at the present time about life itself, physics, the human brain, space, time, individual consciousness and perspective, etc. to come to a firm conclusion that our existence has absolutely no signifigance... Basically, we know a lot, but we don't really know anything. It is kind of a paradox. We know enough to hold the power to create more of ourselves and the power to destroy all of ourselves. But we don't really know what causes our Darwinian instincts other than the preservation of our species. If there was no point to our existence, why do living things have an apparent innate characteristic that drives them to survive and perservere? Is it as simple as knowing that death is finality?

I don't know.

#54 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

I guess I can agree with this for the most part, but I just find there are too many things that I, we, whatever, don't really understand at the present time about life itself, physics, the human brain, space, time, individual consciousness and perspective, etc. to come to a firm conclusion that our existence has absolutely no signifigance... Basically, we know a lot, but we don't really know anything. It is kind of a paradox. We know enough to hold the power to create more of ourselves and the power to destroy all of ourselves. But we don't really know what causes our Darwinian instincts other than the preservation of our species. If there was no point to our existence, why do living things have an apparent innate characteristic that drives them to survive and perservere? Is it as simple as knowing that death is finality?

I don't know.

A good set of explorative questions.

If I had no belief about the end of my days, why would I not totally take the easy and most decadant path for everything and damn all consequences. So I live only 45 years as opposed to 60? Who cares, I totally did what I wanted with whom I wanted and made about me totally. What would be wrong with that?
A few Huddlers calling me a douche. What do I care. I am out of here soon.

#55 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

HUDDLER

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

I don't know.

i don't know either... and I certainly understand pretty much nothing... that said, life justifies itself... we want to live because we are alive... fear (because that's pretty much what you're talking about) is an extremely useful survival tool, as such its propagation in sentient species has been incredibly efficient... species who show no fear don't survive very long unless they're incredibly prolific. What it comes down to me is that generally speaking, humans (if we can even be called that given that 90% of the cells in our bodies are foreign) have been alive for too little time on too small a scale to be of any importance universally. Even IF god exists we are insignificant to it...

Regarding what you're saying, it's sort of a chicken and the egg argument... one man says "we are special because of how we think..." another man says "we only imagine ourselves to be special by virtue of our thought processes." I guess it depends which side you fall on.

Again, I don't know... I simply don't see moral structure in the universe... and to me, that's sort of the tipping point for the traditional concepts of religion and god... morality. If it's our invention... well... i just don't know.

#56 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

HUDDLER

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

A good set of explorative questions.

If I had no belief about the end of my days, why would I not totally take the easy and most decadant path for everything and damn all consequences. So I live only 45 years as opposed to 60? Who cares, I totally did what I wanted with whom I wanted and made about me totally. What would be wrong with that?
A few Huddlers calling me a douche. What do I care. I am out of here soon.

why don't you do that now? is it honestly your fear of judgement that keeps you in line?

being an evil bastard has never crossed my mind... and contrarily, it hasn't kept many of the faithful from being such when they wanted to.

#57 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Mine is not fear based, first off.

Why not go out like Chris Dorner. In the end, does it matter? To whom?

#58 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

HUDDLER

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Mine is not fear based, first off.

Why not go out like Chris Dorner. In the end, does it matter? To whom?

then why are you a "good person?"

#59 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• LocationAsheville, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

We are floating around on a fuging rock in space. We are a miracle that we have come this far, that we can type on these little machines that somehow send a signal to something that we put up in space. It is incredible. After many years of soul searching I have come to the conclusion that we do not know a damn thing. And we probably never will. The most used case for atheism is the Big Bang Theory. So where did that energy come from? Is it God?

We don't know poo from Shinola, so I'm not gonna let some one else dictate or scare me into living a certain way. And if there is a God and he is like that. Then fug him. I'm not hurting anybody, I'm happy, I try and make other people happy, I try to respect everyone and everything.

But one thing i'm certain of; if there is a God, it's the Sun. Cause we are fuged without it.

#60 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

We are floating around on a fuging rock in space. We are a miracle that we have come this far, that we can type on these little machines that somehow send a signal to something that we put up in space. It is incredible. After many years of soul searching I have come to the conclusion that we do not know a damn thing. And we probably never will. The most used case for atheism is the Big Bang Theory. So where did that energy come from? Is it God?

We don't know poo from Shinola, so I'm not gonna let some one else dictate or scare me into living a certain way. And if there is a God and he is like that. Then fug him. I'm not hurting anybody, I'm happy, I try and make other people happy, I try to respect everyone and everything.

But one thing i'm certain of; if there is a God, it's the Sun. Cause we are fuged without it.

Why do you try to make people happy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users