Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WR's drafted by the Panthers since 2002 - the case to draft a WR in round 1?

67 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I would be fine with a WR at 14. A future LT if a worthy one is there as well. We should be able to get either the top WR or 2nd best WR in college football. That would be better than throwing darts at the middle rounds hoping someone falls to you.

If I was to make a case for WR, I would look at what Atlanta did. They have two heavy hitters with a pretty good TE to boot. The Seahawks game was the one I was interested in. That paired them wiith the Seattle'shot secondary. Atlanta won that battle.

It makes it very difficult for a secondary to cover two WRs that pretty much require double teams. Not to mention making the defense pay if they want to use some kind of spy or safety blitz. There isn't going to be a lot of help to the front seven without paying dearly. Also I think Cam is at the stage where he is going to take the next step in reading defenses. A deep threat that plays to his strengths will add alot of confidence at a time when his development needs it..

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rscott94' timestamp='1361381383' post='2139549']

Didn't we get new scouts when Rivera came in?
[/quote]new scouting dept after the 2011 draft. i mean gregory is still head of the dept, but he got a new team for the 2012 draft. hard to argue there wasn't some improvement.

and now we have a real talent evaluator that is one of the best and most respected in the league coming from a program with a ton of success drafting WRs and who do it often and early.

there is very little reason to believe that gettleman won't make better choices with WRs, that he won't be more active than hurney was, and that we won't be addressing it with a significant FA acquisition or early draft pick. he won't settle for who we have in house, nor should he.

Posted · Report post

Didn't realize receivers had such a high fail rate. Wow! Didn't know catching a football could be so difficult. I guess receivers probably have a low work ethic because they don't think they need to work on their craft.

Posted · Report post

To be honest it maybe a little to early to make a judgement on some of these guys. The normal adjustment period for WR is 3 years. Unless your talking about a Fitz, Megaton, Moss type.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='jtm' timestamp='1361381286' post='2139547']
Ricky Proehl was solid.
[/quote]

Sure was, for someone that wasn't drafted by us.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='koolkatluke' timestamp='1361390357' post='2139704']
To be honest it maybe a little to early to make a judgement on some of these guys. The normal adjustment period for WR is 3 years. Unless your talking about a Fitz, Megaton, Moss type.
[/quote]

I think Lafell is a fine second receiver. I can understand the case some might be making for a new #1 though.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Stroupe-a-loop' timestamp='1361390546' post='2139709']

I think Lafell is a fine second receiver. I can understand the case some might be making for a new #1 though.
[/quote]

I totally understand to. I don't see a future number 1 WR potential on this roster other then maybe Gettis and Bryant if they can get there poo together. But no there is no true replacement for 89 on this roster.

Posted · Report post

Just so everyone knows, WR rarely make an impact in year 1. You can count on one hand the number of WRs that put up over a 1,000 yards receiving their 1st year. I'm not saying don't draft a WR early, but I wouldn't reach for someone just bc we need a Smitty replacement.

Posted · Report post

if we keep improving like we hope we do we really wont be in draft position to draft a sure #1 megatron/julio jones type receiver, those are top 10 picks or greater. This may be our best chance to get on close to unless we go 2-14 again
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='IamSoClutch' timestamp='1361392392' post='2139754']
if we keep improving like we hope we do we really wont be in draft position to draft a sure #1 megatron/julio jones type receiver, those are top 10 picks or greater. This may be our best chance to get on close to unless we go 2-14 again
[/quote]

Well 2-14 could have happened this year...so...

Posted · Report post

[quote name='jtm' timestamp='1361391442' post='2139734']
[b]Just so everyone knows, WR rarely make an impact in year 1. You can count on one hand the number of WRs that put up over a 1,000 yards receiving their 1st year. [/b]I'm not saying don't draft a WR early, but I wouldn't reach for someone just bc we need a Smitty replacement.
[/quote]

This may be the worst argument I have heard for not drafting a receiver early..

2012- only 19 of 206 NFL Receivers to play last year league wide had 1k or more yards.

Netting less than 1k yards does not = non immediate impact in year 1.

Going by that logic all of these guys would have been a wasted pick because they did not have 1k yards their rookie years.(These guys were top 5 in receiving yards last year)

Calvin Johnson
Julio Jones
Andre Johnson
Brandon Marshall
Demaryius Thomas
Vincent Jackson

The list could run much deeper than that but I figured last years top 5 should suffice.

And whats more rare 1st receiver drafted early having success or a receiver drafted late having success?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='panther4life' timestamp='1361393882' post='2139801']
This may be the worst argument I have heard for not drafting a receiver early..

2012- only 19 of 206 NFL Receivers to play last year league wide had 1k or more yards.

Netting less than 1k yards does not = non immediate impact in year 1.

Going by that logic all of these guys would have been a wasted pick because they did not have 1k yards their rookie years.(These guys were top 5 in receiving yards last year)

Calvin Johnson
Julio Jones
Andre Johnson
Brandon Marshall
Demaryius Thomas
Vincent Jackson

The list could run much deeper than that but I figured last years top 5 should suffice.

And whats more rare 1st receiver drafted early having success or a receiver drafted late having success?
[/quote]agreed, and i'm not buying that 3 year break out stuff either. more players with 1000 yard seasons got their first one in year two than in year three and there's not a whole lot of seperation between the number of year three guys getting 1000 yards vs. year one guys...esp. now when the pro game is passing as much as the college game and more is required of the WRs coming out early, just like with the QBs, and more is coming from them earlier as well.

WRs coming into the game are more prepared for the pass heavy nature of the pro game than really there has been in a long time.