Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

top dawg

Bucky Brooks' latest mock (has us passing on Patterson). Hmmph.

198 posts in this topic

I would rather have D Hopkins, T Austin, or A Dobson.

I don't understand the obsession with Patterson. He didn't do poo against good competition. Just go look at his stats. Only 750 receiving yards and over 200 of that was against fuging Troy. He didn't do poo in SEC play.

In his defense UT stunk all around. And NFL teams are drafting on potential for guys like this.

I would rather have D Hopkins, T Austin, or A Dobson.

DeAndre Hopkins is somewhat slower than I'd like, not necessarily the best route runner himself, and allows himself to get jammed off his route sometimes, but I'd love if he would slip down to the second. Tavon Austin is electric, but you just can't ignore his small size. He is not as big nor nearly as strong as Steve Smith, so I would have consistent worries about him getting jacked up like D-Jax. His size alone makes me balk at taking him in the first. Aaron Dobson has shown some skills, but he really hasn't faced any top level competition. He has so-so speed and has some injury issues. He definitely doesn't merit a first round pick at this point---not saying that he won't develop into a fine WR at some point.

The main question is whether or not any of these guys, including Patterson, worthy of a pick at 14, and how quickly they could make an impact.

In his defense UT stunk all around. And NFL teams are drafting on potential for guys like this.

Yes, but the question is whether or not he's worth a pick at 14. Can he make an immediate impact come September?

">

He had at least one that was obvious where he extended his arms. But, just because you don't extend your arms doesn't mean you are not catching with your hands. Somebody like him, particularly with strong hands, can easily learn to extend his arms with drills. To me, that shouldn't necessarily be the litmus test as to whether you are going to draft a guy in the first round. It's one thing to scrutinize among many. You have to get the big picture.

I think that it's laughable that people talk about CP's lack of production in the SEC. Dude was only there for a year, and led the conference in all-purpose yards, that's all. Shows some promise. He has great upside.

IMO catching the football with your hands, which he does not do with any consistency(hence the multiple games with only 2 or fewer rec), should absolutely be a litmus test for a team drafting WR based on need early in the first.

I don't disagree the guy has upside. He lead the conference is all-purpose yards, but do we need an "all-purpose" guy at 14? He will serve a team best as that while people sit around and hope he can develop into an NFL WR. He simply has not shown the skills nor production as a WR.

The main question is whether or not any of these guys, including Patterson, worthy of a pick at 14, and how quickly they could make an impact.

True. But he could play as our #3 until smitty wants to start playing slot or decides to retire.

I bet he goes before #14 though

Historically the top player at all skill positions are gone within the first 15 to 20 picks regardless of where they grade out. It is very likely that he wont be there when we pick just because he might be the best WR in the draft. Reaching is a fact of life in draft.

the question with Patterson is if you think he can learn these things because his athletic ability is through the roof. It's all about wanting the best bang for your buck. Do you think Patterson can become an elite talent or do you think Hunter or Hopkins are better options because they are more complete right now? I choose Patterson strictly from the standpoint that even if he fails to see his "roof" he will still be an impact player. While I think Hunter and even Hopkins will be good players, Patterson excites in a way that few players are able to. Patterson catches with his body, doesn't extend his arms and runs shitty routes. All those things are very coachable. Not trying to start ANOTHER discussion about Patterson but this is how I view things.

the question with Patterson is if you think he can learn these things because his athletic ability is through the roof. It's all about wanting the best bang for your buck. Do you think Patterson can become an elite talent or do you think Hunter or Hopkins are better options because they are more complete right now? I choose Patterson strictly from the standpoint that even if he fails to see his "roof" he will still be an impact player. While I think Hunter and even Hopkins will be good players, Patterson excites in a way that few players are able to. Patterson catches with his body, doesn't extend his arms and runs shitty routes. All those things are very coachable. Not trying to start ANOTHER discussion about Patterson but this is how I view things.

That's what I'm thinking. You are not gonna pass on a guy you absolutely think is going to be a beast, even if if is not NFL-ready on draft day. It's all going to come down to his workouts and what Gettleman thinks.

BTW, ButWhysTheRumGone sounds like a good name for a race horse.

yea, queue the Toby Keith Beer for my horses video, except i hate Toby Keith (ripped off many a good artist, Robert Earl Keen). But back to Patterson. Once again it all depends on who is there at 14, and who we pass over with that pick if we do decide on Patterson. But I think he is gonna be sensational, regardless if he turns into an Elite receiver.