Photo
- - - - -

Bucky Brooks' latest mock (has us passing on Patterson). Hmmph.

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#121 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:57 AM

Patterson doesn't catch the ball with his hands with anywhere near the consistency that I want to see with a #14 pick when you could have had a better player. Nor has he shown that he can consistently go up and compete for the ball in the air against DBs. He is simply a really big athletic guy that was able to use that athleticism to make plays in college. He is not AJ Green. He is not Dez Bryant. He is not Julio Jones. He isn't even Mike Crabtree. Not even the 3rd best WR in his own class IMO.

I'm not sure I disagree with any of that.

He'd be a helluva risk at #14, no denying that.

#122 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,630 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:59 AM

Can't wait to hear what people think about me wanting to gamble on Denard Robinson...

#123 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:00 AM

So, number 1 rated WR in a talented WR draft class is not legit because you take the meaning of the word raw to extremes.

They said Cam couldn't run a pro offense. Said he was raw. They wondered if he had the intelligence to learn a pro system/playbook/calls. He was just a great athlete masquerading as a QB...

You're going to need a better arguement than that.

1. There are some places that don't have him as the number 1 rated WR so it's not a consensus.

2. If that word keeps showing up in every breakdown "He is talented but really raw" over and over again. I'm sorry but that's a negative in my eyes.

3. If we are going to keep using Cam as a example. Then Patterson must have had the greatest season of any WR in SEC history and lead a team to a National Championship . Because that's what Cam did. How about you name me a "WR" who was this raw had this little of College production and Experience that was picked in the top 15 of the draft?

4. It's a talented WR class because you can get the same talent and impact from the 3rd and 2nd round prospects as you can get in the 1st. Not because you have a great, elite, can't miss WR prospect.

#124 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,081 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

Patterson doesn't catch the ball with his hands with anywhere near the consistency that I want to see with a #14 pick when you could have had a better player. Nor has he shown that he can consistently go up and compete for the ball in the air against DBs. He is simply a really big athletic guy that was able to use that athleticism to make plays in college. He is not AJ Green. He is not Dez Bryant. He is not Julio Jones. He isn't even Mike Crabtree. Not even the 3rd best WR in his own class IMO.

Well, you probably know more than me, but the scouts are saying that he can and will fight for the ball in the air. And, like I have said, there are many comparisons to Percy Harvin, who is arguably just as important, if not more than Green, Bryant or Jones to their respective teams. Scouts are giving this guy more credit and attributing way more explosiveness and upside than you seem to be. Just saying.

#125 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,740 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:06 AM

It was Dwan that took on most of the double teams and still held the point, not Ron. Please, go back and rewatch the games, I already have. You'll see that you're completely wrong.

Also, if you were really as astute at football as you think you are you'd realize size is only a part of the equation. There are a lot of big bodies out there that get knocked around while some of the smaller guys do their jobs. You'd also know that there are different techniques that are employed and there are different ways to use DT's, they're not all the same.

If you have weak LB's and you depend on a NT/UT combo as your base then you're probably right, but if you want to play a gap control D like we do a lot of size isn't that big of a factor.

You're welcome for the intro to football class.

Check out NFL Game Rewind, it's well worth the investment.

Thanks I have learned so much.

Edit: I have decided to elaborate.

I'm not one of these joker posters

I don't claim to know everything. From what I have gathered from other posters as well as what i have read, there are only 2 4-3 defensive teams that have two UT's as their DL. One being the Lions, I mean Suh, come on. I would like to be informed about this honestly. I have not seen Dwan hold up to double teams as well as you have apparently. I remember a poster giving statistical data about run defense efficiency and Dwan was one of the worst. I know data is different than game tape, but I remember Dwan playing better when Ron was in at NT. What happens when Richardson comes in. Do you think Dwan can handle those double teams? I'm not trying to argue here, i want to know. You talk about our LB strengths and our gap control D and size not being a factor, what does that mean exactly. I have a general understanding of gap control, but i don't understand gap control D. You may be some former football player who knows a general understanding of this.

#126 ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

Well, you probably know more than me, but the scouts are saying that he can and will fight for the ball in the air. And, like I have said, there are many comparisons to Percy Harvin, who is arguably just as important, if not more than Green, Bryant or Jones to their respective teams. Scouts are giving this guy more credit and attributing way more explosiveness and upside than you seem to be. Just saying.

1 game with over 100 yards receiving last year. Thats no Percy Harvin.

#127 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,630 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

1. There are some places that don't have him as the number 1 rated WR so it's not a consensus.

Cam wasn't the consensus top QB, but he sure made consensus ROY.

2. If that word keeps showing up in every breakdown "He is talented but really raw" over and over again. I'm sorry but that's a negative in my eyes.

Raw, for me, is a very weak negative.

3. If we are going to keep using Cam as a example. Then Patterson must have had the greatest season of any WR in SEC history and lead a team to a National Championship . Because that's what Cam did. How about you name me a "WR" who was this raw had this little of College production and Experience that was picked in the top 15 of the draft?

Comparing QB impact to WR impact is assinine. Cam did it with no real WR's, but it doesn't work the other way around. I'll do some homework tomorrow on other WR's who were tabbed raw, but to try to quantify the level of rawness is impossible as it's completely subjective. Patterson's problem isn't college production, it's college snaps.

4. It's a talented WR class because you can get the same talent and impact from the 3rd and 2nd round prospects as you can get in the 1st. Not because you have a great, elite, can't miss WR prospect.

Sure, there's no Calvin Johnson, but the group as a whole is very strong. Patterson, in many cases, leads the way.

Word.

#128 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:17 AM

And there are some scouts who aren't doing that.

http://aol.sportingn...t-woods/slide/9

Height: 6-1 7/8
Weight: 216 pounds

There are some who see Patterson as a big, explosive SEC receiver in the mold of Atlanta's Julio Jones. Others see him as an on-paper dazzling talent with questions about his hands, route-running and overall consistency. Patterson's upside will make him a first-rounder.

#129 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:54 AM

Word.

Better then that Jack name me a WR in the history of the NFL drafted in the top 15

with 46 rec. 778 yards and 5 td?

I would also like to point out that you have already made a Judgment on Joe Adams and his stats were

56 rec 652 yards and 3td. Not that far off.

#130 Woodie

Woodie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Raw is made up of shades, and no two raw players are the same, so comparisons are pointless.

Some players, like Cam, are considered raw because they haven't done something (like take snaps from under center or reading a defense) and people assume it will take time for them to learn how...if they can ever learn it. But others, like Patterson, are considered raw because we have seen them do everything they will be expected to do in the NFL, but have clear weaknesses that must be corrected before they can live up to their potential.

I like Patterson, and was high on the possibility of taking him at 14. However, the more I hear and see about him, the more wary I become. There is no doubt that he is explosive...particularly with the ball in his hands in the open field. My concern comes with pretty much every other aspect of his game. They were talking the other night on Path to the Draft about how he jumps for most balls, even when he doesn't need to, and that receivers like that are almost always body catchers...and when I watch clips of him, that is exactly what I see. He also is not a skilled route runner at this point. And from what I have heard and read, he is not considered the most intelligent of guys and was not giving teams a good impression in the interviews at the combine.

With that said, I think he will be a good receiver, and definitely worth at least a 2nd, but I am not sold on the fact that he will fix his flaws to the extent that he will ever become a clear #1 receiver. But I do believe he can be at least a solid #2, so if we do take him, I think he does add value and makes the team better.

#131 SmashNDash

SmashNDash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

Can't wait to hear what people think about me wanting to gamble on Denard Robinson...

I'd be okay with Denard in a later round, 4th or later. Every QB convert is not Edwards. Unlike Edwards, Robinson actually played against high level competition week in and week out. Also unlike Edwards, he had great production at RB and WR when his arm was too injured to play QB. The guy has great vision and speed, has great potential at WR.

#132 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

Great post Woodie . I will give you pie when I get to my desktop.

#133 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,611 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

FWIW, they're bigger than AJ Green's too.

Too bad it didn't help him hold on to the ball.

Maybe his hands are too big that he cannot get them up where he needs them.

#134 Panthers69473

Panthers69473

THE HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

I am so tired of seeing these clowns mock Richardson to us

How many years in a row have people mocked a dt to us in the first? It seems like almost every year the majority of mocks have us taking a dt and we never do will they ever learn? Lol

#135 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

As a RB, sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com