Drafting a Guard in the first round

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#41 ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

SUPPORTER

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

OG simply isn't a premium position though. Even if he is the best prospect in the draft - which I don't think he is - it doesn't mean that he's going to go in the top half of the 1st round.

Usually more skill positions go in the early rounds. But this class is severely lacking in top end talent at the skill position. Instead its just loaded with mid level prospects that will be available in the later rounds.

If Floyd, Milliner, Joeckel, Fisher, Lotulelei, Ansah, L Johnson, Jordan, or Mingo are gone. I'd rather see us take the impact that Warmack can make for years with Cam than taking a flier on a player like Patterson or Richardson.

#42 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:52 AM

Usually more skill positions go in the early rounds. But this class is severely lacking in top end talent at the skill position. Instead its just loaded with mid level prospects that will be available in the later rounds.

If Floyd, Milliner, Joeckel, Fisher, Lotulelei, Ansah, L Johnson, Jordan, or Mingo are gone. I'd rather see us take the impact that Warmack can make for years with Cam than taking a flier on a player like Patterson or Richardson.

Good point.

To hell with Mingo though. That dude just screams BUST. I've never seen such pedestrian stats out of a guy so highly regarded. Vernon Gholston all over again.

#43 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:54 AM

DeCastro is an extremely polished guard out of Stanford who started for three consecutive years. While he is considered an early entry junior, he spent four years at Stanford and has already graduated. He is a disciplined and NFL-ready player who likely will warrant a starting spot immediately through his play. He could be one of the highest draft picks at the guard position in recent years, and he could easily go in the top 10.

http://www.nfl.com/d...stro?id=2533043

#44 ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

SUPPORTER

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:57 AM

DeCastro is an extremely polished guard out of Stanford who started for three consecutive years. While he is considered an early entry junior, he spent four years at Stanford and has already graduated. He is a disciplined and NFL-ready player who likely will warrant a starting spot immediately through his play. He could be one of the highest draft picks at the guard position in recent years, and he could easily go in the top 10.

http://www.nfl.com/d...stro?id=2533043

Compare that write up with what was said about Warmack in your previous post.

#45 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

I have, more than once.

I still don't think Warmack holds a top 15 grade simply by virtue of his position, same with RB's right now in the league.

I'm not saying Warmack isn't good or deserving of the hype, but his impact in the overall scheme of things will be minimized by his position. This, mind you, is coming from someone who believes strong line play is paramount to success.

#46 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

Keep Pounding...all the way to...the draft! :D

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

I think it's a complete waste. That position doesn't hold any value. Decent G's are too easy to find.

If this was true, then why haven't we found a solid pair of starters? That interior line, especially the guard position has not be the same in years. It's always a different guy. Then some other guard returns. Then one gets injured, then we draft one. It's never ending. Center is set. Tackles are..somewhat set. but the guards are the biggest question. Other than Amini, the other guard position is a huge question.

#47 ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

SUPPORTER

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

Worst case he sures up that side of the oline. our run game improves. he makes Bell better. and Cam stays up right more often.

Best case we have an All-Pro on the team.

Worth the pick either way for us IMO.

Again there is a hand full of players I'd rather have, but that number is less than 14.

#48 Green Eggs and Cam

Green Eggs and Cam

NOT NEWB

• LocationGA
ROOKIE

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

You simply don't get much bang for your buck by drafting an OG in the first.

#49 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:22 AM

If this was true, then why haven't we found a solid pair of starters? That interior line, especially the guard position has not be the same in years. It's always a different guy. Then some other guard returns. Then one gets injured, then we draft one. It's never ending. Center is set. Tackles are..somewhat set. but the guards are the biggest question. Other than Amini, the other guard position is a huge question.

We have one solid starter in the making but expecting Amini to just hop for D2 to the NFL without struggles is foolish. He got better as the year went on and there's no reason to think he won't continue to improve,

Hangartner was pretty damn good in 2011, so there was no reason to expect him to be as poor as he was this year. Once he had to move from RG to C it really through off the entire interior OL.

If I had to pick a G I'd take Cooper over Warmack for his versatility. After Kalil went down we saw how badly we needed a better back-up plan, Cooper gives you that.

#50 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

You simply don't get much bang for your buck by drafting an OG in the first.

That is my entire arguement in a nutshell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users