141 replies to this topic

#76 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Perhaps you weren't aware that my 6-8 year old flag football team was undefeated this past season. That puts me head and shoulders above Jeff Davidson.

:lol:

#77 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • 8,797 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

I disagree

San Fransico

#78 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

Perhaps you weren't aware that my 6-8 year old flag football team was undefeated this past season. That puts me head and shoulders above Jeff Davidson.

Yes, but in all fairness, you were head and shoulders above Jeff Davidson before flag football season.

#79 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

I'd take the best available WR,DT,LT,FS, or CB over any guard in the draft 14.

#80 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

One reason Guards are being discussed in the first round is because the first round sucks this year.

However, last year, DeCastro was rumored to be a top 12 pick, and he fell to around 22 (Steelers).

#81 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

like safety, a first round G is a luxury pick, which we dont have unless we trade back.

#82 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

This as a blanket statement is bull poo. If you run an offense that relies on your guards getting out around the end or up to the second level, you better believe they are impact players. You want Deangelo, Stew, and Cam to break off long runs? You better have a guard that can put is hat on a backer or safety downfield. Kalil is great at this. Silatolu is going to be very good at it. Those blocks are the difference in a 5 yard gain or a 25 yard gain. That's not an impact?

Definitely an impact. Drew Brees is able to do what he does because of their guards not their tackles. Stand in the pocket and see down the field even tho he is short because the guards are keeping defenders away from him.

#83 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,104 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

One reason Guards are being discussed in the first round is because the first round sucks this year.

However, last year, DeCastro was rumored to be a top 12 pick, and he fell to around 22 (Steelers).

First, good point about Davidson.

Second, the Steelers draft a guard in round 1. I'd say the Steelers are quite successful, no?

#84 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,569 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

I agree too. However, the first round this year really sucks compared to previous years. Maybe I am wrong here, but i look at it this way:

If I can draft a top CB, DE, LOT, or QB in the first, then that is five years I am not having to pay a player on a second contract at that position. Some DEs make $15 million, for example. No Guards do. A solid G runs you about $5-7 million on a second contract.

We can have 2 starting veteran guards for the same price one DE is paid.

So basically, I am suggesting that you have one DE, DT,and CB on a rookie contract at all times. If not, you run the risk of having 20% of your salary cap at one position that is NOT QB.

Next year, we could be sitting at the negotiating table with Greg Hardy's agent, who will be throwing Charles Johnson's contract at Gettlemen. If he comes close to getting CJ $$, we are talking about $22 million for defensive ends.

By playing one DE on a rookie deal at all times, your DE expense is about $8 million cheaper. hypothetically, the DE plays out the 5 year rookie contract while his counterpart enters a 5-year second contract. The savings, $8 million or so, is enough to pay for 2 veteran guards on second contracts.

I realize that it is not that easy, but the concept is solid.

Do the same thing at CB. One second contract, one rookie deal. When the CB hits 30, re-sign your player on a rookie contract to a second contract and draft a rookie.

Do the same thing at DT.

Do the same thing at WR. Essentially--and extremely hypothetically--you draft one of these key positions most years. Marty did not do this--he neglected CB, WR, DT, and even QB. Instead, he drafted safe, easy-to-find positions like RB (2), OL, LB most recently.

So, essentially, your first rounders are loosely restricted to a few, expensive positions, unless a player is overwhelmingly better than the rest.

Chance Warmack could be that exception. However, I KNOW some starting-quality rookie Guards will drop to the fourth round.

Very well put.The new CBA facilitates a team to pay less for the most expensive positions under the rookie contract.The cap differential is to great for GM's to ignore.

#85 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

First, good point about Davidson.

Second, the Steelers draft a guard in round 1. I'd say the Steelers are quite successful, no?

At 14, who would be better than Warmack? Who would make the biggest impact? This draft is weak at the top, so a dominant G is not ridiculous. I hate drafting a G first, but i see it.

#86 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

Warmack and Cooper must be special, looking at some mocks and they are going top 10 according to quite a few

#87 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Very well put.The new CBA facilitates a team to pay less for the most expensive positions under the rookie contract.The cap differential is to great for GM's to ignore.

THanks jarhead. I just think we think only about needs in 2013, not about cost, cap, and the future as much. It makes my brain hurt.

#88 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,569 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

Warmack and Cooper must be special, looking at some mocks and they are going top 10 according to quite a few

Where they are projected and when they will picked are often different.

#89 kman72

kman72

Sports Maniac

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

You take the best player available... Warmack will be a 12 yr starter in this league. The only position I would consider taking over Warmack would be a Future LT (Johnson) he isn't going to fall past San Diego. There are no other players that are a sure thing, ill take a stud over a bust any day.

#90 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

Where they are projected and when they will picked are often different.

of course, but that's besides the point

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.