• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#181 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,876 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

All those stats tell me is that he has been a pretty solid CB for us, and thats without taking into account the type of defense we were running when Fox was here. We have had a lot of players come thru and play in the secondary since he was drafted and he has been the steady one all the way up to now. If he wasnt worth it we would have let him go a long time ago just like everybody else. He has been here 9 years and we couldnt find a more talented DB to put in the secondary. That says a lot about everyone else not him. Cant argue that.

Gamble has had a huge drop-off after 2008. He went from impact player and a top 15 CB annually to middle of the pack. 2009 and 2010 were still under fox.

Yes a team might still think he can be serviceable or "pretty solid" but my opinion is he has lost the edge.

#182 ncmonzta

ncmonzta

CBA=Offer U Can't Refuse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

Gamble was good years ago. I agree with happy panther. I got tired of seeing gamble line up ten yards away from the receiver only to still get burned deep. That's why gamble looked good at times because he usually the let receiver to catch the ball in front of him and then make the tackle. It seems most people here love him because he was a class act as far as staying out of trouble and keeping quiet. He's been decent over the years, but nothing to rave about.

#183 Lords0fPain

Lords0fPain

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

I didn't know I had to source sorry bud

shame on you, it's only in the paper, on the nfl shows talk/tv, and on football sites. Easy find for those in doubt. What on earth where you thinking???? lol

#184 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,963 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

Gamble was good years ago. I agree with happy panther. I got tired of seeing gamble line up ten yards away from the receiver only to still get burned deep. That's why gamble looked good at times because he usually the let receiver to catch the ball in front of him and then make the tackle. It seems most people here love him because he was a class act as far as staying out of trouble and keeping quiet. He's been decent over the years, but nothing to rave about.

Good. Paid to be better than good. He also got a bump bc every other CB and S he shared the field with in recent years was below average

#185 mario

mario

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

Gamble has had a huge drop-off after 2008. He went from impact player and a top 15 CB annually to middle of the pack. 2009 and 2010 were still under fox.

Yes a team might still think he can be serviceable or "pretty solid" but my opinion is he has lost the edge.

In 2011 he allowed 45% of the passes thrown his way to be completed (4th best in the league). For the sake of comparison, Munnerlyn allowed a 73.8% completion porcentage, which was the worst in the NFL that season.

Not only that: Gamble allowed a 53.3 passer rating when targeted, which was 3rd best in the NFL, only behind Darrelle Revis and Asante Samuel. Munnerlyn? 126.9 passer rating.

But yeah, middle of the pack guy after 2008. Sure.

#186 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,847 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Gamble played at an elite level the last couple of seasons. However, the injuries did him in.

His contract was a bargain if he could have stayed healthy, but it is what it is.

#187 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,871 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

In 2011 he allowed 45% of the passes thrown his way to be completed (4th best in the league). For the sake of comparison, Munnerlyn allowed a 73.8% completion porcentage, which was the worst in the NFL that season.

Not only that: Gamble allowed a 53.3 passer rating when targeted, which was 3rd best in the NFL, only behind Darrelle Revis and Asante Samuel. Munnerlyn? 126.9 passer rating.

How many times was Gamble targeted compared to how many times Munnerlyn was targeted? Just wondering.

#188 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,397 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

How many times was Gamble targeted compared to how many times Munnerlyn was targeted? Just wondering.

Again with this, please tell me WHAT team would not target the less talented CB more on a opposing teams defense if they are trying to win? Its called STRATEGY. The more CBs you have that teams are not willing to throw at the better. Thats just says other teams new how good Gamble was and chose not to challenge him, sayin that they didnt do it because they didnt "feel like it" is a weak argument. And its more Hurneys fault for not putting someone better over there.

#189 mario

mario

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

Pretty even. 61 targets for Munnerlyn, 60 for Gamble.

#190 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,397 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Good. Paid to be better than good. He also got a bump bc every other CB and S he shared the field with in recent years was below average

Okay, but how could we have seen better than good from him if he played with below average talent so many years? How could you even come to the conclusion that he was a good CB and not great if he was never really tested? I think that is something we only know if he goes to a more talented team and still performs at a high level.

#191 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,876 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

Ah yes the fallacy of incomplete evidence.

http://en.wikipedia....icking_(fallacy)

#192 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,871 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Again with this, please tell me WHAT team would not target the less talented CB more on a opposing teams defense if they are trying to win? Its called STRATEGY. The more CBs you have that teams are not willing to throw at the better. Thats just says other teams new how good Gamble was and chose not to challenge him, sayin that they didnt do it because they didnt "feel like it" is a weak argument. And its more Hurneys fault for not putting someone better over there.

I was just wondering chill the f out.

#193 nickzz

nickzz

o

• HUDDLER
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

Ah yes the fallacy of incomplete evidence.

http://en.wikipedia....icking_(fallacy)

he placed top 3 in two of the most important statistical categories for a cb. what else would you have him include?

#194 beastson

beastson

Philly Cheese Steak

• HUDDLER
  • 10,032 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

Sigh

#195 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO