5 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,451 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

My first football coach has passed away.

To be honest, since he was also the father of my best friend growing up, he was a lot like a second father to me. And sometimes, almost more of a dad than my own was, if I'm being completely honest.

It was almost 40 years ago that he first coached me on how to play the game that I'd only been watching for the past few years. I still remember being an eight-year-old sitting in a classroom seeing him draw a formation on the board, learning the explanation of holes and gap numbering and etc. Indeed, he taught me everything I needed to know to play the game of football.

(he also taught me a number of words that my Mom preferred I not repeat) :lol:

His name was Virgil, but as you might expect, none of us addressed him by his name or even as "Mister". It was always "Coach". Thinking about that, it's funny for me to realize I'm at the other end of things now, with little fellas running up to me and saying "Hey Coach". Things really do go in circles, don't they?

I'd be remiss not to mention that besides being a good coach, he was also a good man. Extremely devoted to his family, a bit of a hellraiser when he was young but mellowed when it came time to grow up. And in his later years when he was no longer coaching, became a literacy volunteer teaching adults to read.

Got the word of his passing just a little while back. Technically, I've been an orphan for a while now. But today, I feel even more like one than I did before.

So long, Coach...and thanks.

For those who played, how do you remember your first coach? Is he still around?

#2 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,210 posts
  • LocationRichardson's toilet

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

I remember absolutely nothing about my first coach and I'm guessing its because he wasn't a very good one.

#3 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,451 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

Been a long time for sure. I have a decent long term memory for things like that.

My short term memory's starting to go as I get older though :(

#4 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Yeah, he is.

He was my Pop Warner coach & became the varsity DC a few years later. When I was a freshman, there were a rash of injuries & I got bumped up to varsity. Found out later that it was pretty much all him convincing the HC to give me a shot.

I'm not one of those guys who think that football taught me teamwork, brotherhood, yadda yadda, but being a 5'5"119lb & having your coaches not worrying about the guy you're covering does build confidence...

#5 Dex

Dex

Knight of Sunlight

• HUDDLER
  • 6,836 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

My high school coach was the only one that mattered. Now I work with him and it's weird. I always feel if I say something wrong or do something wrong it's going to be "100 UP DOWNS RIGHT NOW DAMNIT! COWBOY UP!"

#6 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,290 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Sorry to hear Mr Scot. It sucks when we lose people who were important to us. ((((hugs))))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com