#31 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

Not sure where you are located, proudiddy, but Red Oak in Greensboro is hiring drivers to sling beer.

(I'm not employed with Red Oak, but word through the grapevine hit me today...then just saw them post it on FB)

...their beer is excellent local brew.

#32 Boner Champ

Boner Champ

Future Training Camp MVP

• HUDDLER
  • 5,473 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

I think your biggest problem is that you are stalling.

Your background will seem a bit dicey if there are tremendous holes in it. I also sense a bit of entitlement in your post. The truth is, you are not entitled to anything because you have a degree. Also, although you may think you are "killing it" in your interviews, you may want to consider the possibility that you are not doing well in those interviews.

You need to go get a job ASAP. It does not have to be something you want to do. It shows the people you are interviewing with, that you don't mind "working your way up" to get ahead.

I'm not an expert in your career field, however I am a hiring manager who looks at a few hundred resumes each month. I have hired 5 people who make six figures in the past year.

Best of luck, be humble, I'd hire someone who shows they have put in the work with lesser companies, than someone who has all the creditials but lacks a work ethic.

#33 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Actually, I wasn't lying the many times I've said that I want to be like you when I grow up. Problem is, I'm pretty grown up now, lol.

I worked for 10 years for someone else until I was 33 before I could make a living on my own. Up at 4am, working on my own business, real job at 8am, home at 6pm, family time until 8pm, work on my own business until 10pm. Work on my own crap on weekends. Rinse and repeat for 10 damn years.

#34 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

Not sure where you are located, proudiddy, but Red Oak in Greensboro is hiring drivers to sling beer.

(I'm not employed with Red Oak, but word through the grapevine hit me today...then just saw them post it on FB)

...their beer is excellent local brew.

Jbro used to work there. He hated it. They can't keep drivers.

#35 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,614 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

I worked for 10 years for someone else until I was 33 before I could make a living on my own. Up at 4am, working on my own business, real job at 8am, home at 6pm, family time until 8pm, work on my own business until 10pm. Work on my own crap on weekends. Rinse and repeat for 10 damn years.

2004 photographer Zod who kept linking Lenses together to get closer shots from outside the fence at training camp.

#36 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

2004 photographer Zod who kept linking Lenses together to get closer shots from outside the fence at training camp.

haha good times good times.

#37 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,780 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

Jbro used to work there. He hated it. They can't keep drivers.

I run into them every once in a while at some stores I do. Always a different guy. I know they're fixing to (or already have) open a new location in Wilmington as well.

I know a lot of people take the job then get tired of handling kegs all day lol.

#38 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

I run into them every once in a while at some stores I do. Always a different guy. I know they're fixing to (or already have) open a new location in Wilmington as well.

I know a lot of people take the job then get tired of handling kegs all day lol.

That wasn't it. JBro did that for years for another company. Its shit pay and long hours and a cheap ass owner.

#39 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,967 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

That's where I want to get man.

I want to get to that point... But, I have to find the starting blocks. I just want to get something to open up resources and I'll put the time in.

#40 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Far and away your best asset and/or enemy is yourself. I can relate to wanting to hold true to the values that you're vested in while it can be at odds with what makes someone fiscally successful. The end of the day will come down to what do you want, and what are you willing to do to get there. You are in the enviable position of having the intellect and ethic to get you where you want to be. What you lack is perspective and I think you've done yourself a favor by trying to get some from some good people here. All of the advice is good and the sentiment appears to be genuine.

#41 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,546 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

As a 23 year old pursuing his master's degree right out of undergraduate studies this thread is inspiring and disheartening all in one.

#42 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

I didn't even go to college but I'm working at sales at Gander Mountain and I'm rolling in the dough

#43 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 15,967 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

I think your biggest problem is that you are stalling.

Your background will seem a bit dicey if there are tremendous holes in it. I also sense a bit of entitlement in your post. The truth is, you are not entitled to anything because you have a degree. Also, although you may think you are "killing it" in your interviews, you may want to consider the possibility that you are not doing well in those interviews.

You need to go get a job ASAP. It does not have to be something you want to do. It shows the people you are interviewing with, that you don't mind "working your way up" to get ahead.

I'm not an expert in your career field, however I am a hiring manager who looks at a few hundred resumes each month. I have hired 5 people who make six figures in the past year.

Best of luck, be humble, I'd hire someone who shows they have put in the work with lesser companies, than someone who has all the creditials but lacks a work ethic.

Idk BC, I try to be honest with myself in everything I do and I wouldn't call it entitlement. That may very well be what it is, but it's not what it feels like. It's more like, I've put in the work so all I'm asking for is a little kickback - which isn't necessarily the best approach either.

Man, prior to college, I worked so many jobs I can't even count, literally. It probably is well over 20. Some I don't even remember. One example: I worked with a landscaper for two entire days. I had just moved in with my uncle down in Greenville, SC due to some family issues. He said they knew them through their church and they sent me off with them... I was 18. I spend the entire first day weed eating a commercial lot in the heat of mid-summer - no hat or anything. I get sunburned. They pick me up the next day, I ride off with them, and they take me out to some huge office complex, walk around, tell me to pick all of the weeds by hand out of pinestraw around the huge building. I start doing it, come to find out, they say they have something else to do and leave me out there. I end up having to call my uncle to pick me up from the location because they didn't come back and I never got paid for it. They were a legit business - business cards, advertising, trucks, everything, and I was working with the owner. They never even tried to get up with me to pay me for those days. A couple weeks later, I took a job with Wendy's, I worked 3 hours. I moved back home to Fayetteville the next day, and obviously never went back. LOL.

So, I wouldn't call it a sense of entitlement. I went through the wringer man and I'm not looking to get strung along again. If you want me to come in and work my way up, I got you. No one will outwork me. But, don't tell me you're going to move me into management and then treat me like Cinderella while you sit around and shoot the breeze with my peers.

Perhaps that is a problem I have to overcome, but I feel I'm worth a little more now as a graduate from a prestigious university than I was as a high school dropout with no structured support system. I think I have a right to feel that way, but it doesn't mean it will resonate with others.

But, I think that kind of lends itself to the whole "background being dicey" thing. When you've spent your life working dead-end, menial paying jobs, what are you going to talk about in an interview with a private financial services firm? "This one time, I got an 'Outstanding Team Player' certificate at Home Depot because I came in when it wasn't my shift and emptied out all the trash in 5 minutes." So, in regards to the interviews now, you're right... In the professional ones, there's no doubt in my mind that I'm not "killing it" because I'm lacking experience, so I can't really speak on specific questions they ask me regarding what I've already done.

As far as retail jobs, I KNOW I'm killing it, but when they're looking to hire someone for $8.50 and see I'm asking for $14 at the least, then I'm pretty sure that "kills" the interview for them.

I'm humble, but I'm smart, I work hard, and I know my worth. Too often, people are looking to take advantage of others and perhaps I'm over vigilant and it comes off as brash to some. I don't know...

#44 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 15,967 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

Far and away your best asset and/or enemy is yourself. I can relate to wanting to hold true to the values that you're vested in while it can be at odds with what makes someone fiscally successful. The end of the day will come down to what do you want, and what are you willing to do to get there. You are in the enviable position of having the intellect and ethic to get you where you want to be. What you lack is perspective and I think you've done yourself a favor by trying to get some from some good people here. All of the advice is good and the sentiment appears to be genuine.

Thank you buddy. Greatly appreciated and well put.

#45 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 15,967 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

AND TO EVERYONE that has or will respond to this thread, I truly thank you and appreciate it. It really does mean a lot. I've kind of been sitting on this for a few months now and don't want to put it on Facebook at the risk of coming off as a complete trainwreck and failure - which I'm okay with on the Huddle, LOL. So, to have all of you giving me meaningful advice and feedback... It's awesome. It IS like the old Huddle. And I do take heed and analyze each and every thing you guys have suggested.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com