#91 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

Dwan wont be easily replaced. We haven't had a DT with 6 sacks since Jenkins left. He needs to be a priority. I figure a 2 year deal for 6 million could land him. The cap hit could be 2 million year 1.

We dont need someone who'll give us 6 sacks in 2013. We just need consistency and solid plays. The "6" sacks blows your eyes when you look at Dwan's stats, but he was an average player last season. There are better DT that we could replace him with. Look for a guy like Antonio Garay, or adding a NT like Sione Po'uha and drafting a Sheldon Richardson to replace him.

#92 SparkyDevil

SparkyDevil

• ALL-PRO
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

We dont need someone who'll give us 6 sacks in 2013. We just need consistency and solid plays. The "6" sacks blows your eyes when you look at Dwan's stats, but he was an average player last season. There are better DT that we could replace him with. Look for a guy like Antonio Garay, or adding a NT like Sione Po'uha and drafting a Sheldon Richardson to replace him.

Well said. We'll have to sign a cheap veteran or two and draft someone, but Dwan is hardly someone that is difficult to replace.

#93 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:47 AM

Dwan was not a NT but a 3 technique guy whose job was to penetrate and get to the quarterback which is exactly what he did quite well. You must be confusing him with Ron Edwards who was the NT. We finally were able to get a push up the middle which is one of the reasons that Hardy was so effective this year. Teams couldn't double him like in the past.

Well said. We'll have to sign a cheap veteran or two and draft someone, but Dwan is hardly someone that is difficult to replace.

Who are all these cheap 3 technique guys out there better than Dwan? And I don't care who they are, few if any defensive tackles who are drafted come in and star right away. Most take at last 1 year or more to develop. This is exactly the philosophy Steve Smith was railing against when he lambasted Hurney for starting a rookie and causing problems like we did with Silatolu last year. Dwan is that proven veteran who would come relatively cheap if we would sign him for 2 years instead of just 1.

#94 kepickle

kepickle

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:31 AM

well Hardy lined up at DT alot last yr & done good & he's 290 & when Rivera was the DC for the Bears he started a DT who weight 290 & Rivera has never worried about stoping the run so

#95 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,622 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:39 AM

Someone will offer him a 2-3 year deal between 9-12 million, which is more then the Panther's would be willing to offer him. I figured he wasn't coming back though after his 6 sack season. Just figured he'd be asking for a significant pay increase.

#96 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,629 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

if we cannot afford to bring back some like Dwan Edwards we are screwed.Where are all the guys saying oh dont worry about the cap......easily fixed......? We can sign who we want

#97 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,622 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

if we cannot afford to bring back some like Dwan Edwards we are screwed.Where are all the guys saying oh dont worry about the cap......easily fixed......? We can sign who we want

Well what ever the team offered him, he felt insulted by it basically because it was a one year deal. Looks like he wants a multi year deal worth some decent money and that another team has offered him that. If the Panther's want to keep him, they'll have to up the ante.

With the market the way it is, I think it'll be hard to offer decent - good players that can fill a role solidly with one year offers. It'll be bargain bin hunting if that's how Gettleman wants to run it.

#98 thennek

thennek

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

I remember the 2011 season when the DL was horrible. It was horrible even though Hardy and Johnson were on it. One of the reasons why Johnson and Hardy had such great seasons last year was because of D. Edwards. There is nobody on the Panthers team right now that is ready to step up and take his place. Edwards will be missed if he is not re-signed.

#99 Who Said What?

Who Said What?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationEverybody knows Carolina's my home

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Id be piss if we cant retain him.

better make it up and sign Roy Miller and Sedrick Ellis

I like Sedrick Ellis. This is the former early pick we should be talking about instead of Darrius-Heyward Bey.

#100 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

With the market the way it is, I think it'll be hard to offer decent - good players that can fill a role solidly with one year offers. It'll be bargain bin hunting if that's how Gettleman wants to run it.

I thought the trend this year was that players aren't getting big contract and more short contracts.

At least that is the trend with pass rushers......http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/market-for-pass-rushers-ends-up-being-a-disappointment/

#101 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

Dwan was not a NT but a 3 technique guy whose job was to penetrate and get to the quarterback which is exactly what he did quite well. You must be confusing him with Ron Edwards who was the NT. We finally were able to get a push up the middle which is one of the reasons that Hardy was so effective this year. Teams couldn't double him like in the past.

I think I been watching this team for the last decade that I can even tell you who were on the practice squad 5, 8, 10 years ago. I know who's Ron and who's Dwan. I also know that Dwan is our UT and Ron our NT. Im not confusing the two. :)

You guys are forgetting that we still have to replace 'RON' also, and not just Dwan. What I meant is that we could go a Sione Po'uha and Sheldon Richardson in the draft. Richardson replacing Dwan. He may not find the success Dwan has last season "6 sacks" in 2013, but he should be able to penetrate enough to find stability. That's Richardson's game; creating pressure.

#102 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

I think I been watching this team for the last decade that I can even tell you who were on the practice squad 5, 8, 10 years ago. I know who's Ron and who's Dwan. I also know that Dwan is our UT and Ron our NT. Im not confusing the two. :)

You guys are forgetting that we still have to replace 'RON' also, and not just Dwan. What I meant is that we could go a Sione Po'uha and Sheldon Richardson in the draft. Richardson replacing Dwan. He may not find the success Dwan has last season "6 sacks" in 2013, but he should be able to penetrate enough to find stability. That's Richardson's game; creating pressure.

I was wondering if you forgot that we were having to replace Ron as well as Dwan if we don't resign him. I certainly don't think we should be trying to replace both of them especially when Dwan played so well.

If you remember the practice squads of 10 years ago then I am sure you remember the disaster starting 2 rookies at DT in 2010. I can't believe anyone who went through that would wish that kind of disaster on us in 2013. I don't care how dominant they were in college, when they come to the NFL they are playing against a guy every week who was better than the best guys they played against in college. And don't tell me how great they will be. I remember hearing that from Saints fans when they told me how dominant Sedrick Ellis would be coming out of college. How did that work out??

#103 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 9,596 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

We really need to sign at least one starting caliber free agent DT. Entering the draft with the DTs we have on the roster now would be a disaster, nobody we have signed currently should ever be a starter in the NFL.

We only have two early picks, I can't see us using both of them on DT (and if we did that would screw us at other positions). Entering 2013 with two rookies starting at DT, one of them being a mid-late round pick... ugh.

#104 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • 3,407 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

This free agency is turning into a disaster

the sky is falling..

#105 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

Some of you are seriously overrating Dwan if you think he is that important. He was a cheap signing like a week or so before the regular season. OK DTs honestly aren't that hard to find. He is a solid penetrator but weak against the run. Garay isn't going to give us that same kind of pass rush, obviously, but he is a much better run stuffer and can still prevent QBs from stepping up in the pocket.

And we've seen it with our team in the past. Hollis Thomas was very good for us. And who here remembers Louis Leonard? He was looking very good. Shame he got hurt. OK to Solid DTs aren't too difficult to find. We just need to find ourselves a long term DT and one who can make a strong impact in the run and pass game. But replacing Dwan isn't hard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com