Photo
- - - - -

Tavon Austin projected to be top 15 pick.

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#76 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

I'm the original Austin lover on the Huddle... dating back to like at least 2010 if I can recall correctly... Brought him up in a Noel Devine thread I think...

Anyways... Athletically, I think Austin has the potential to be better than Smitty... There, I said it... This includes the ability to be a threat deep or out of the backfield... After he has the ball in his hands, there hasn't been anyone in football in a long time that is as dangerous as him...

I don't recall any durability concerns... I don't recall anything to make me think he doesn't have the drive to succeed...

IF he can have the fire and passion that Smitty has, there is no question in my mind that he can be comparable to Smitty more than anyone else he is drawing comparisons to...

His hands are great. His moves are great. He is high character and is obviously a hard worker because he has adapted to the system changes at WVU without blinking. He's fast. He's elusive. He's way more than a slot receiver.

Day 1, he'd already be #3 on the roster, no problem. I think he'd also push LaFell for the #2. Smitty has said that he wants to move to the slot, so you all can stop mentioning that like it is a bad thing. People make plays out of the slot. Hell, we could move LaFell and Austin out wide and grant Smitty his wish for all I care. The end result either way would likely translate positively for the Panthers offense.

I want him.

#77 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

never said smith was in his prime....did you not see where i said he has slowed down??? i meant when he was in his prime(early 2000's)....

nyg.......dont they have hakeem nicks and victor cruz/////both are star deep threats.

you dont need a star slot(like tavon is supposed to become) to strategize on defenses. WELKER ONLY RUNS A 4.6.....

i also can name just as many, if not more superbowl teams who have used deep threats to take the top off defenses and open up the middle.........

tell me again who is this big time star slot wr that plays for the nyg..................

#78 Jesse

Jesse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

I don't give a poo if he's a deep threat or not. All we need is someone who can move the sticks on those 3rd and 5 downs. He can even play tailback like Sproles. I think he'll be a playmaker in the NFL.

#79 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

I don't give a poo if he's a deep threat or not. All we need is someone who can move the sticks on those 3rd and 5 downs. He can even play tailback like Sproles. I think he'll be a playmaker in the NFL.

Keenan I need my man to get healthy

Posted Image

#80 SmashNDash

SmashNDash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

The dude looks like a playmaking monster, however I'm extreme worried about his transition to the NFL. Go watch tape of Noel Devine, another WVU product who came out 2 years ago. Devine has very similar speed/quickness,very similar vision, and the same size. After 2 years, he's already in the CFL. Not to say Tavon isn't better, but these guys don't always transition well, there is a reason you can name all 3 or 4 successful WR under 5'10.

I'd be game if we could get him in a trade back scenario, but we need immediate starters, and impact players.

#81 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Austin at 14? You might as well go all the way and say he should be the number one overall pick. Man, this guy is overhyped. Yet with all that said, I do hope we trade back and get more picks. With no real free agents coming to Carolina, the draft will be our free agency. Austin as a late first would be fine with me, although I would rather draft other guys.

#82 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

Comparing him to Devine isn't fair.... at all...

Devine was blessed with hype way back to his high school years. Deservedly so.

He had a ton of character concerns though, and those manifested a little further once he came into the NFL. He basically quit on the Eagles. I don't think his heart was truly ever in the game, which is a shame considering the talent he was blessed with.

I think his character concerns and heart are what is going to keep a lot of folks away. But, he could be good in the NFL too. If he wanted to.

Austin is a totally different player.

#83 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,523 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

yeah cant really compare Noel and Austin together. Noel was beat up at WVU Austin didnt taken to much punishment. Different head coach for both of them their Jr/SR year (devine/Stewart) Austin/Holgersen.

#84 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,951 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

Austin at 14? You might as well go all the way and say he should be the number one overall pick. Man, this guy is overhyped. Yet with all that said, I do hope we trade back and get more picks. With no real free agents coming to Carolina, the draft will be our free agency. Austin as a late first would be fine with me, although I would rather draft other guys.

I think the Genesis of your argument is your lack of faith in Austin.

#85 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,433 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

Would not be mad at all with this. Dude so fast, quick and elusive. It's insane. He's a great receiver and returner and is proven in both areas. There are no questions or doubts on him.

#86 SauceBoss

SauceBoss

IT IS WHAT IT IS

• HUDDLER
  • 2,253 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

everyone's sold! gaping holes on defense for everyone!!!

#87 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,605 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:13 AM

I didn't mean to give the impression that his height is enough to make me not want him, but I can see how it'd be taken that way. If a player is just straight up dominant and awesome I don't care how big they are. But Austin doesn't give me the impression of straight up dominant and awesome. Sure he juked and wiggled his way around college kids, but didn't make me think he'll definitely be doing the same in the NFL. Would I take that chance with our 2nd rd pick? Sure. Not our first. (and no, I'm not saying I expect he'll be available with our 2nd).

In hindsight, Smitty was an amazing pick and blahblahblah we all know he's awesome. But Smitty is awesome because of something you just can't predict easily. His heart and desire. Does Austin have that? Who knows, but he'll need it to be great.

He does not have to juke or wiggle. The guy flies by people like they are standing still

#88 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,066 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

Hate to say it because I am going to get flamed, but I would not be OK with this selection at 14.

Just saying.

#89 Brokenbad

Brokenbad

Cam is my hero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

I think there will be MUCH better options at 14.

Let someone else be dissapointed with him, see Devery Henderson, Donnie Avery, and Tedd Ginn jr.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com