66 replies to this topic

#1 ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Cunning Linguist

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

Are we going to have enough cap space to sign these guys next year? Well and maybe Byron Bell if he continues to get better?

#2 SuperJTheGreat

SuperJTheGreat

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

The rate we're going we might just cut, Gross and CJ. And still be over the cap.

#3 ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Cunning Linguist

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

I just dont see us giving another huge contract until the Cam extension, and I think Hardy is going to want that.

#4 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

Answer: yes, but Lafell better not ask for too much. DWill will be gone, Gross' salary will be cheaper. If Beason has a good, healthy year, he could be dealt.

Marty Hurney was worse than Matt Millen. Perhaps the worst GM in the NFL aside from Jerry Jones and Al Davis in the 2000s. I hope he does not live in NC any longer because he would be in danger.

#5 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

At this rate, you let Lafell walk and give Hardy a extension.

#6 Navy_football

Navy_football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Yes, the cap space will be there if the Panthers want them. I think that's the point of this year's releases and pay cuts. Pay players what they're worth. If the Panthers do that, they'd easily make the cap.

#7 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,193 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

At this rate, you let Lafell walk and give Hardy a extension.

given a choice between the two...you do that.

lafell is basically moose-lite. if we draft WR well this year, we let lafell move on. don't need to be over-spending for a pretty average receiver.

we gain more by extending hardy.

that said...i don't see us keeping hardy either. he'll be commanding more money...not CJ money, but still more than we should be spending on one position. look at paul kruger's contract as a baseline.

#8 ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Cunning Linguist

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

Well if Gettleman wants to keep his giants philosophy it would seem he would do his best to keep Hardy.

#9 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

Answer: yes, but Lafell better not ask for too much. DWill will be gone, Gross' salary will be cheaper. If Beason has a good, healthy year, he could be dealt.

Marty Hurney was worse than Matt Millen. Perhaps the worst GM in the NFL aside from Jerry Jones and Al Davis in the 2000s. I hope he does not live in NC any longer because he would be in danger.

idiot post, he was a major part of us going to the Super Bowl and a pretty decent run from 2003 -2008

I know recent history he's been terrible but I cant stand moronic revisionist history.

#10 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

on topic now, in reality what we need to do is bite the bullet and kill two years of our salary cap situation to get out from under some of these bad contract that Hurney signed us to, I'm curious how many of the Contract have dead clauses in them to where the team can kill it after a certain point if they want to, I know there was one with Beason but I think we let it pass last year.

#11 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,588 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

Are we going to have enough cap space to sign these guys next year? Well and maybe Byron Bell if he continues to get better?

I ain't gonn lie to ya son. There are a myriad of ways to gain cap space. So the answer is, yes, if we want,

Gettlemen says he wants big guys and TD makers. Hardy qualifies, Lafell, not so much. And Bell better improve like nobodies bidness if he wants another contract.

Hardy is the only player getting a bigish contract next year. Gettlemen will offer him a fair contract. Whether a flake like Hardy will accept it is anyones guess. I say, flake or not, he will want to stay.

Lafell may warrant more than the vet minimum, so this one is up in the air. Again, he will get a fair offer. If he thinks it is fair, he will stay. If he thinks he merits more money, he may test the FA market. I just don't see many teams trying to pry him away with a big money deal. He is good at what he does, but good does not warrant big money anymore.

Bell has almost no chance of being a starter after this year. He will get the vet minimum as depth.

And lastly, not another one of these crappy threads? Search is your friend. Or try actually reading some of the threads on cap space. jk, or am I ?

#12 Thorrez

Thorrez

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Why would it be a problem to fit LaFell and his veteran minimum under the cap? Ok, maybe not that little but I cannot see him making more tham $2-3M.

Hardy thinks he is the best DE every. Hate to lose him but he will get his payday elsewhere. Maybe, maybe we can frontload and keep him (hit the year before cams extention), but that is unlikly.

#13 Panther_Brotherhood

Panther_Brotherhood

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

Lets keep Lafell and make him a lifetime Panther ;)

#14 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

Are we going to be able to sign Cam? Thats the real question.
Cam's contract is coming up any day now.

#15 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

I ain't gonn lie to ya son. There are a myriad of ways to gain cap space. So the answer is, yes, if we want,

Gettlemen says he wants big guys and TD makers. Hardy qualifies, Lafell, not so much. And Bell better improve like nobodies bidness if he wants another contract.

Hardy is the only player getting a bigish contract next year. Gettlemen will offer him a fair contract. Whether a flake like Hardy will accept it is anyones guess. I say, flake or not, he will want to stay.

Lafell may warrant more than the vet minimum, so this one is up in the air. Again, he will get a fair offer. If he thinks it is fair, he will stay. If he thinks he merits more money, he may test the FA market. I just don't see many teams trying to pry him away with a big money deal. He is good at what he does, but good does not warrant big money anymore.

Bell has almost no chance of being a starter after this year. He will get the vet minimum as depth.

And lastly, not another one of these crappy threads? Search is your friend. Or try actually reading some of the threads on cap space. jk, or am I ?

We are the team that finally decided to take a chance on him in the 6th... at that point guys start to get worried if they are even going to get drafted. Rivera (if I were to guess) motivated Hardy the past offseason to get his ass in the weight room to put on some serious beef, and it sure as hell paid dividends. If he has another good year we'll offer him a contract in the 8-11 mil range and he'd be crazy not to take it.

Lafell should be offered 3mil/year. I think that would be a fair amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com