#541 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,477 posts
  • LocationUNC Chapel Hill & Wilmington

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

For what it's worth, I was at the Duke/UNC game, front row of the student section legitimately standing on the floor. The one ref I was talking about was making the shittiest calls I have ever seen in a basketball game.

Did we lose because of him? Not a chance, Duke was balling hot. But he still pissed me off because I don't believe blind idiots should be refs.

With that said, there isn't a fanbase in the world that doesn't complain about refs. It happens in every sport. Duke fans, UNC fans, Panthers fans, Bobcats fans, whatever else you're a fan of fans. Don't try to pin one fanbase for complaining when we all do it.

#542 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

If anyone thinks a ref has never made bad calls or even multiple bad calls during a game, then they are just plain stupid. I wouldn't go so far as to say a ref does it intentionally, but home cooking is home cooking (and that goes for games called in the Dean Dome too btw). The calls I was referencing were obvious bad calls. I never said it cost us the game, because quite frankly dook was the better team this year.

Enough bad calls can certainly change the outcome of a game though. When you starting adding up the free throws and foul trouble I don't know how you could argue otherwise.

#543 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

For what it's worth, I was at the Duke/UNC game, front row of the student section legitimately standing on the floor. The one ref I was talking about was making the shittiest calls I have ever seen in a basketball game.

Did we lose because of him? Not a chance, Duke was balling hot. But he still pissed me off because I don't believe blind idiots should be refs.

With that said, there isn't a fanbase in the world that doesn't complain about refs. It happens in every sport. Duke fans, UNC fans, Panthers fans, Bobcats fans, whatever else you're a fan of fans. Don't try to pin one fanbase for complaining when we all do it.

Then show me on here where Duke fans are complaining about refs and calls. My point is me along with most Duke fans are rational and understand there are going to be bad calls on both sides so we don't get on forums or Facebook and complain about the calls. Can you imagine how many unc fans would be on here complaining if they were in the predicament Duke was in the other night with 2 of the best players in foul trouble the whole night.

#544 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

Oh wow, the 3 duke fans on this board dont complain about the refs when they post. Arent you just sooooo special

I would argue that just means you arent passionate enough about your team. Or not drunk enough

#545 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Oh wow, the 3 duke fans on this board dont complain about the refs when they post. Arent you just sooooo special

I would argue that just means you arent passionate enough about your team. Or not drunk enough

Or we are rational and actually have friends watching the game with us so we don't get on a forum to bitch and complain about the refs.

#546 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Or we are rational and actually have friends watching the game with us so we don't get on a forum to bitch and complain about the refs.

Dont run from it now, I know youre proud of it. Here, I made this award just for you

Posted Image

#547 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

Dont run from it now, I know youre proud of it. Here, I made this award just for you

Posted Image

I would never run from being rational, you heels fans should take note.

#548 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Usually I would agree with you. But sports are not rational, thats what makes them fun

#549 beckersteen

beckersteen

Nihilum

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • LocationConcord

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

Are you seriously sitting here trying to toot your own horn about how rational you and duke fans are because you don't complain about refs on a message board? And that unc fans are irrational because they do complain? I know for a fact every fan base complains about refs. That aside, to try and label a whole fan base as rational or irrational based on specific subjects is idiotic especially for someone trying to gloat about how rational they are.

#550 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

Really? unc has been #1 or #2 in least amount of fouls called on them since 2008, hell even in 2010 when you went to the NIT and had a 5-11 record you were #1 in least amount of fouls, #1 in foul margin, #2 in FT attempts, and #1 in FT margin.

Okay? We still recruit bigs that bang inside. No one here is saying UNC gets shafted. All i've ever said was that refs suck top to bottom and need revamping all over.

#551 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Okay? We still recruit bigs that bang inside. No one here is saying UNC gets shafted. All i've ever said was that refs suck top to bottom and need revamping all over.

But once again how does recruiting bigs that bang inside lead to unc being called for the least amount of fouls in the ACC?

#552 4Corners

4Corners

Trill Laimbeer

• HUDDLER
  • 13,450 posts
  • Location704

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Crying about the refs and the calls/no calls are a waste of time. If it happens to you, it sucks. If it doesn't? you're the first fan to cheer about it. It's like arguing about Calipari as a coach. Everyone knows the guy is a scumbag cheater, but aside from fans of a very small handful of schools, EVERY fan would want their school to have this guy as their coach. College basketball is in contention for worst officiating in American sports, but it's not always due to the poor calls/no-calls and the extremely objective judgement calls.

The thing that bothers me is when certain coaches feel it necessary to constantly badger and intimidate referees. Certain coaches cant go 10 minutes without "coaching" the officials as well as their players. In my opinion, coach/official interaction should be limited and technical fouls should be used to protect the integrity of the game. Now, I don't have an issue with guys asking questions about the call...or receiving clarification...or even politely telling the zebras they disagree. It's when certain coaches go out of their way to wave down the official or use abusive language to belittle and intimidate officials in games.

I can assure you the second half ass wooping UNC got from KU was not due to the bad calls. It was due to poor shooting and getting dominated inside. But it's hard for a lot of people (some UNC fans included) to understand or even comprehend what losing 75% of your team and being a transition year means. A lot of the haters (and idiot carolina fans) think if they don't win 30 games a year by an average of 20 points that it's a huge disappointment and not good enough. A lot of the people on here bad mouthing Carolina were the same very insightful individuals labeling UNC a "NIT team" and informing everyone how "bad" UNC was a few months ago.

Well it was a bad UNC team year, this was the lowest seeding Carolina has ever had in a NCAA tourney, but we still gave a very good Miami team a challenge in the ACC tournament game and won a game in the NCAA tournament. Whether you want to admit this or not, it was a down season for the Heels and how Roy Williams won 25 games with these guys is amazing.

This idiot I lived with in ECU is a UNC fan and he told me that UNC should fire Williams after Sunday. Who the hell would they hire? Roy is an elite coach, can still recruit with the best, and the future is bright! A lot of talent on the team next season (pending they stick around) and Im excited.

Also - If any of you haven't heard Reggie Johnson will not travel with Miami to the S16. More motivation for a team with it's chip on their shoulder? It seems like Miami just keeps being handed things to motivate them.

#553 4Corners

4Corners

Trill Laimbeer

• HUDDLER
  • 13,450 posts
  • Location704

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

But once again how does recruiting bigs that bang inside lead to unc being called for the least amount of fouls in the ACC?

He can't answer that and neither can you.

#554 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

He can't answer that and neither can you.

Because that's not the reason.

#555 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,477 posts
  • LocationUNC Chapel Hill & Wilmington

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

Then show me on here where Duke fans are complaining about refs and calls. My point is me along with most Duke fans are rational and understand there are going to be bad calls on both sides so we don't get on forums or Facebook and complain about the calls. Can you imagine how many unc fans would be on here complaining if they were in the predicament Duke was in the other night with 2 of the best players in foul trouble the whole night.

And I repeat: There isn't a fanbase in the world that doesn't complain about refs. It happens in every sport. Duke fans, UNC fans, Panthers fans, Bobcats fans, whatever else you're a fan of fans. Don't try to pin one fanbase for complaining when we all do it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MARCH MADNESS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.