Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Even though it should not make a difference

39 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

And I just noticed that in the locked thread concerning gay athletes you mentioned me and my bunched up shorts as well, which I will take as a compliment.

Posted · Report post

I personally have no problem with it. Whether it was Cam Newton or any other player... I'd still buy/wear his jersey.

I don't think there will be any implications as far as sponsorships unless it's positive... I think a lot of companies would flock to that player. I do think there would be a lot of bashing by fans of opposing teams... a LOT, and most of it would be totally inappropriate.

I don't always agree with stirs, and hardly ever agree with cwg, but at least stirs is just asking questions and trying to have a discussion... cwg you're just being a dick.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Darth Biscuit' timestamp='1364390373' post='2177547']
I don't always agree with stirs, and hardly ever agree with cwg, but at least stirs is just asking questions and trying to have a discussion... cwg you're just being a dick.
[/quote]

Welcome to Tinderbox.

Posted · Report post

Is Cam sponsored by a coal mining company, the Southern Baptist, Hobby Lobby, or Chick-fil-a? If not, he's proably fine as most other companies aren't run by troglodytes.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='stirs' timestamp='1364387292' post='2177509']
Okay, despite CWG and Panthro, let's continue.

My opinion would be that if this person is a starter, that shoe deals, who's prime target is young males, might go away, with the possible exception of Nike. But, they might be replaced with more lucrative deals in other areas.

From the locked thread, I can see I was correct in my ascertion about shirts possibly falling off. I figure it might be a reflection of society like the vote last year.

One other area that might be interesting to discuss might be the face of the franchise. If Aaron Rogers or Cam Newton were the one. How would the face of the franchise be marketed?

In my opening statement and thread title, I said it should make no difference, but there will be some fallout, just wondering what it would look like to begin with.

And Panthro/CWG, keep you "I might suck cock" comments to a minimum.
[/quote]

Not sure where I ever said you or anyone else did. I was referring to people that think its a choice to be gay...as in waking up daily and making a choice not to be gay....

For the first time in history the majority of Americans are for gay marriage. It has increased a percentage point per year since 2004 and is now at 51%.

While some of the small minded people might not buy their jersey I would think more people would swarm to them in support.

It would impact the NFL positively all the way down to youth sports....it crushes the inbred redneck stereotypes and opens the door to all football loving kids to play a sport they love without fear or judgement.

If you think a company would pull endorsements you are crazy...the back lash to that company would be huge.

Posted · Report post

I'm not a dick, I'm making the point, like you did, that nothing would change that would affect anyone here at all. It's stirs own issues that are in discussion here, not the actual idea of a openly gay NFL player.

OK I just do it in a dickish way, because it's more fun than attempting to have a rational discussion with someone as off the rails as stirs.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Panthro' timestamp='1364250208' post='2175357']
If I buy a gay persons jersey I may start sucking cock....and that would be horrible

Git R Done
[/quote]

start?!!!

that was so there!!!

being this is a repeat thread that didn't go well on round 1, I swear I am banning the first of you that throws this off the rails to the extent that round 1 went! Let's prove to each other that the huddle can indeed talk about controversial topics without getting immature about it!

Posted · Report post

oh and in my opninion...there's always going to be people that have negative feelings towards a gay NFL player just the same as a gay actor, doctor, teacher, etc. I do think, and hope, that it's gradually becoming more and more acceptable and main stream and see a day where it isn't going to be near as big of a deal to be gay. I really personally don't care what you and your significant other do with each other. I used to be really uncomfortable with it to be honest and hated to see public displays of affection, but hey, if you are happy, then the world is a wee little bit happier too and that should work for all.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Darth Biscuit' timestamp='1364390373' post='2177547']
I personally have no problem with it. Whether it was Cam Newton or any other player... I'd still buy/wear his jersey.

I don't think there will be any implications as far as sponsorships unless it's positive... I think a lot of companies would flock to that player. I do think there would be a lot of bashing by fans of opposing teams... a LOT, and most of it would be totally inappropriate.
[/quote]

I never buy player jerseys, and that wouldn't change. :)

I doubt many companies would flock to or leave a player because of it. Most smart companies don't like political or social controversy in any form, and leaving a player who said he was gay or flocking to a player who came out would cause some controversy.

Posted · Report post

You guys are so touchy. At least some are discussing in a rational manner.

I remember the social norms in Nascar changing like 20 years ago. It was not an overnight thing, but instead of it being sponsored solely by motor oil, auto parts and beer, things like Gatorade, Tide and other things started to creep into the sport. This was mainly due to the women who started attending the sport.

This is the same point I was trying to make. The "money" will follow public opinion. I did not say that anyone would pull a sponsorship. I did not say anyone would pull a sponsorhip. I did not say anyone would pull a sponsorship. (for Panthro)

What I did say was that some who have a very narrow base that they sell to, might not renew their sponsorship. But, at the same time, like Nascar, you might see a whole new set of sponsors in the NFL.

Posted · Report post

Hot damn stirs, one guy coming out of the closet is not going to have Woolite, Glad Plug Ins and Mazda Miata sign multimillion dollar contracts with the NFL. Or Hungry Man or Old Spice refusing to sponsor the games.

Posted · Report post

Kwame Harris the smoking gun?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/29/kwame-harris-tells-gay-players-dont-feel-alone/

To our conversation, he had no real endorsements, but might gain some now.