Photo
- - - - -

Dave Grohl: 'TV talent shows make everyone sound like fuging Christina Aguilera'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#13 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

That reminds me, the other day one of my buddies said "MAN, that is a REALLY good Foo Fighters song" and I said "You could say that about all of them".

Truth.

#14 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

HUDDLER

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

"And it makes me wonder"

Who the real genius behind Nirvana was.

they all kinda were/are if you think about it

#15 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

Keep Pounding...all the way to...the draft! :D

SUPPORTER

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:35 AM

Um, Christina Aguilera CAN sing... He should have said Britney Spears. That Bitch can't sing for poo.

#16 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

HUDDLER

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:39 AM

Anybody can sing, that's the point. Get a good enough engineer, enough decent studio musicians, songwriters, couple good make-up artists and, most importantly, somebody who can work the auto-tune like a mutha and you've got yourself a star. No matter if they have the chops to do anything... as long as they look good, that seems to be the primary deciding factor these days.

Unlike the Neil Youngs, the Dave Grohls, the Foo Gighters and a million other bands who learned how to play musical instruments (most "artists" today couldn't play checkers, let alone a guitar), honed their skills and went looking for a singer (usually some poor soul trying to make it thru open mic nites in some dive, without any electronics to alter the voice) and then grind it out on the local bar circuit looking for the opportunity; these kids somehow got the notion they should be considered as "artists."

The music industry is nearly dead, inundated with engineered musical talent who all sound alike, hire the same handfuls of hack songwriters, and don't have to do anything but look good on stage. It's pathetic, embarrassing, a slap in the face to the true musicians and artists who made the record industry in this country. Like everything else in the United States, it too has devolved into, "You mean I have to work to earn something?"

Anyone watch any of the "Behind the Music" series, or the recent "History of the Eagles" on Showtime? That's where true musical talent comes from. That's what songwriting is all about. That's how successful bands are created.That's how the music industry became big. Not some mother dragging her 14 year old daughter down to a talent show tryout because she sang in the 6th grade musical a couple years back and, "Lawd, she sounded like a angel..." Please....

#17 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

HUDDLER

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

He's obviously missed people like Casey Abrams on those shows... There are unique people out there... but America/show judges are just too dumb to let them win...

FWIW Foo Fighters are pretty overrated to me... just like the pop singers he's apparently bashing...

I agree with him though, that those shows disregard musical talent in favor of JUST vocals... but meh... Nobody that isn't a singer already is really trying seriously to be on one of those shows in the first place...

#18 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

Administrators

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

I am ghey for Dave. Touched his ass in concert 10 years ago and haven't washed the hand yet. He shits gold to me. I totally agree, the other thing the music industry can do without is at 1:00 of this: