151 replies to this topic

#136 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,333 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

I have a hard time calling somebody a racist based off these comments. He just sucks at what he does...and is an attention *****

and Cam has an amazing smile

#137 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

Nothing at all. I'm not defending the comment, I'm just curious what it has to do with one's race

"Fake smile" as in "putting on a face". It has strong racial implications, like saying a black guy is "well spoken".

#138 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

Actually, I did answer your question. You can spin and dismiss it because it goes against your preconceptions, but that doesn't make it any less valid.

And "fake smile" is racial? Really? Wow. That may be the single stupidest statement made in this thread. And that's an accomplishment in a thread where Blue Boy posted (not that you'd know that anymore)

In other words "he's racist just because I know he is" :lol:

But hey, why should I be surprised. You've implied that I'm racist too (again, a common tactic employed by someone who's losing on the factual end of things).

Pitiful. Although you and I disagree on a lot of issues, I expected better from you than to stoop to that kind of tactic. Disappointing, really.

I'm sure you'll respond with some form of "well, you are" or "you talk like one" or some such stupidity. Fine, then find examples of racist things I've said and quote them. Obviously, you should be able to do that, since you wouldn't just suggest it without something to back it up, right?

2-0

#139 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

"Fake smile" as in "putting on a face". It has strong racial implications, like saying a black guy is "well spoken".

I'm aware the reasoning behind black people being well spoken supposedly being racial is because it assumes blacks aren't supposed to speak well. What's the assumption behind a fake smile, black people are naturally dishonest? Hard to tell tone on a computer so I don't want this to come off as sarcastic, I'm seriously asking.

#140 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

There's the old concept of "shuck and jive", or putting on a face for white people that saying a black man has a "fake smile" strongly implies. At the very least it is extremely careless of Nawrocki to use it in a written piece as such. By itself, it's iffy but not over the top. Combined with everything else, it doesn't look good at all

#141 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,647 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

It does? Sheesh

#142 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

Señor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

There's the old concept of "shuck and jive", or putting on a face for white people that saying a black man has a "fake smile" strongly implies. At the very least it is extremely careless of Nawrocki to use it in a written piece as such. By itself, it's iffy but not over the top. Combined with everything else, it doesn't look good at all

I think that's kind of the point of all of this. I don't know if the guys racist or really care because I never heard of him before any of this, but frankly he chooses to criticize from such stupid angles that it opens him up for questioning. You could only know this stuff second hand at best, so saying it with such certainty means he's either trying to be sensationalistic or is stupid, bottom line.

Nawrocki couldn't know that he'd "poison the qb room" because he never sat in meeting with him, and to write it as fact is moronic. Just say you've heard bad reports about his character with specific incidents, and this isn't a problem at all.

#143 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

It does? Sheesh

Moreso when you later compare Geno Smith to Aaron Brooks.

#144 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,220 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:18 AM

It does? Sheesh

Anything does...if you stretch it far enough.

By Delhommey's reasoning, if you tell a black guy he's nicely dressed, you're subtly comparing him to a pimp. Therefore, you're racist.

Criticize a guy's footwork, and what you're really doing is creating a subtle reminder of the chains that slaves used to wear on their feet.

It's all from a book titled "How to Call Anybody a Racist (The Art of Using Character Assassination to Bolster Weak Arguments)."

Granted, the technique requires a willingness to stoop to a certain level in order to use it, but he's successfully demonstrated that this isn't problem for him.

#145 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,220 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

Talked with Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan on SiriuxXM NFL Radio, Pat seems to think Nolan is being run around by a team hoping to torpedo Geno's stock.

That would actually make a lot of sense.

Lord knows team's go into "poker face" mode this time of year. Disinformation is everywhere.

That'd point out a pitfall of getting info from someone with a vested interest.

#146 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:59 AM

Good to see Mr Scot hasn't lost his love for teh Narwookie.

The entire argument of, "I found this one time where he said bad stuff about a white QB therefore he can't be guilty of racial stereotyping and preconceived notions" Is about as compelling as the "I had that one black friend back in the day, therefore I cannot be racist" argument.

The problem that Mr Scot and so many miss is that too many times a black QB has to prove they are not a negative while white QBs have to prove that they are a negative or else it defaults into predictable stereotypes.

It is known as "default assumptions" and it has been studied extensively.

There is an old riddle about a man that is driving his son to a baseball game, on the way they get in a major car accident and the father is killed and the boy is seriously injured. The son gets to the hospital and when they rush him into surgery the doctor says "I can't operate on this boy. He is my son." How is that possible?

For many years, this simple riddle has fooled people. Why? Because of default assumptions.

It doesn't mean that Narwocki is a bad person or is getting a KKK newsletter. Just means that he like so many other people is susceptible to racial stereotyping and that is the actual issue.

#147 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,220 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:06 AM

Good to see Mr Scot hasn't lost his love for teh Narwookie.

The entire argument of, "I found this one time where he said bad stuff about a white QB therefore he can't be guilty of racial stereotyping and preconceived notions" Is about as compelling as the "I had that one black friend back in the day, therefore I cannot be racist" argument.

The problem that Mr Scot and so many miss is that too many times a black QB has to prove they are not a negative while white QBs have to prove that they are a negative or else it defaults into predictable stereotypes.

It is known as "default assumptions" and it has been studied extensively.

It doesn't mean that Narwocki is a bad person or is getting a KKK newsletter. Just means that he is susceptible to racial sterotyping.

Good to see you're still able to look only at a few examples that can fit your preconceived notions while ignoring all the numerous others that don't :rolleyes:

#148 Icege

Icege

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:59 AM

why are so many people butthurt and doing their best He Who Must Not Be baited Routine?

#149 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:04 AM

nolan nawrocki was one of those dudes who liked blaine gabbert more than cam as a prospect. racist or not (he's probably racist), he's clearly p dumb

e: on barkley:

A cross between Drew Brees and Colt McCoy

hahaha what kind of player comp is that

#150 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

Given that there are quite a bit more African Americans in the NFL draft, and given that he's done this for years. Shouldnt it be likley that we shouldve found scores of subtle racist profiles from him? Granted, I havent scoured his books, but it seems that only a couple of profiles are being used as evidence, out of hundreds. That doesnt seem like a strong corelation.

I won't argue that Nawrocki hasnt had questionable analysis ( personally I dont see how a fake smile is relevant to a scouting report), but Ive always felt (to paraphrase a quote) that one shouldnt attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by inepitude.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com