102 replies to this topic

#16 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

Lemme clarify, my comment has nothing to do with "reaching" as that's become a mostly outdated term. It has to do with the fact I wouldn't prefer Hopkins at 14 over an Allen or a Patterson. Id rather pull the trigger on the best receiver prospect we could get at 14 than try to squeeze as much out of the draft as we could, truth be told, and am not sure how I'd feel about the move mentioned above.

My problem is this. There are several WR's we could take in this draft. But the cream of the crop is very few and Hopkins is one of those guys. And personally I think there are 4-5 WR with the talents that would be perfect for the Panthers. To me it would be Hopkins, Hunter, Patterson, Rodgers, maybe Allen. Patterson is very raw, but once one of those guys are off the board I feel it will be a domino effect and they will start flying off the board. It happens every year in the draft.

I wouldn't mind reaching for Hopkins at 14 if meant we were getting one of the best WR's in the draft and one of the best WR's to make an impact on our team in 2013. Once those 3-4 guys are gone I feel like we would just be picking up bullsht again like every other year. We can't afford to do that again, we need a legit future WR now.

#17 ZackAttack23

ZackAttack23

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

I have Hopkins going to Houston at 27. So this would be a possibility if we trade down in mid 20's.

#18 CatfanMO

CatfanMO

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationKC Mo

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

We are due to hit on a WR pick.

#19 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,452 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

My problem is this. There are several WR's we could take in this draft. But the cream of the crop is very few and Hopkins is one of those guys. And personally I think there are 4-5 WR with the talents that would be perfect for the Panthers. To me it would be Hopkins, Hunter, Patterson, Rodgers, maybe Allen. Patterson is very raw, but once one of those guys are off the board I feel it will be a domino effect and they will start flying off the board. It happens every year in the draft.

I wouldn't mind reaching for Hopkins at 14 if meant we were getting one of the best WR's in the draft and one of the best WR's to make an impact on our team in 2013. Once those 3-4 guys are gone I feel like we would just be picking up bullsht again like every other year. We can't afford to do that again, we need a legit future WR now.

I agree with your assessment that we need a future star now. I disagree that Hopkins is in the same tier as a Patterson or Allen. I feel their potential vastly out weighs his.

#20 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Just something to add to the conversation, been seeing a few "I like him in the first, just not at 14" posts in here, this isn't relevent anymore, if he's the player we want just pick him, doesn't matter if he's 1st or 32nd pick the right pick at 14 is the player we want.

Something that has been lost recently in draft talk is the impact of the rookie salary Cap, the reason before that we didn't want to pick up player x/y/z was because the salary that would be involved for at position x, drafted in the top ten, lets say you have a QB that may be fine but you have a question mark about him so you don't want to risk the pick at 7 because you will have to pay him $50 mill, he drops to the second round because of that and you sign him for $15m now today it's fixed cap meaning less loss if the player is a bust.

Because of this you will continue to see more and more QBs get drafted in the first, even for this being a down year for QBs you may see up to 5 go in the first. And also teams unless they just want more picks will be less interested in trading back and hoping the player they want drops to them and more about just picking the guy they want outright.

At 14 if a guy we want is there like Hopkins we need just draft him because of this.

#21 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

• HUDDLER
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

agree, also because of the rookie cap he's not a reach at 14, as I put it in my last post.

#22 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Just something to add to the conversation, been seeing a few "I like him in the first, just not at 14" posts in here, this isn't relevent anymore, if he's the player we want just pick him, doesn't matter if he's 1st or 32nd pick the right pick at 14 is the player we want.

Something that has been lost recently in draft talk is the impact of the rookie salary Cap, the reason before that we didn't want to pick up player x/y/z was because the salary that would be involved for at position x, drafted in the top ten, lets say you have a QB that may be fine but you have a question mark about him so you don't want to risk the pick at 7 because you will have to pay him $50 mill, he drops to the second round because of that and you sign him for $15m now today it's fixed cap meaning less loss if the player is a bust.

Because of this you will continue to see more and more QBs get drafted in the first, even for this being a down year for QBs you may see up to 5 go in the first. And also teams unless they just want more picks will be less interested in trading back and hoping the player they want drops to them and more about just picking the guy they want outright.

At 14 if a guy we want is there like Hopkins we need just draft him because of this.

At 14 Im taking austin if we go wr route.

#23 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

• HUDDLER
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

really? Would have never guessed that pick from you.

#24 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

Am I the only one who has 0% interest in Austin?

#25 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

JASON VERRETT 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 15,518 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

I like Hopkins. Not at 14 though. Once again, I think Gettleman's *ideal* scenario is to move down and take a WR. Ideal.

I think this is part of covering the bases for such a move.

Yup. Everything Gettleman has done in the offseason and leading to the draft makes it look like he's planning to trade down.

We're basically two weeks away from the draft and Gman has yet to bring in a top projected 1st rounder prospect other than seeing guys like Keenan and Tavon. Guys like Cyprien, Hopkins, Short, Elam, Escobar, etc. are guys projected late 1st - 2nd round. I seriously think he's going to move down on Day1.

#26 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

Is he the only receiver you'd take at 14? If so who's your 2nd favorite receiver?

I personally think he's not the right fit due to his size and lack of a vertical or strength to compensate for it.

Cam is notorious for throwing it too high and I don't have confidence Austin can go up and get it. Plus I just dream of a big redzone target who can win jump balls.

I personally like Keenan the best, could get on board with CP if the coaching staff believes they can coach him up.

Here's the receivers I like ( not gonna try to project where they will be picked)

Allen
Patterson
Terrance Williams
Robert woods
Deandre Hopkins
Steadman Bailey

#27 cultclassiccat

cultclassiccat

flash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationG spot

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

oops an accidental pie by

ps..prepare your anus for severe thrusts

#28 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Nope. I am with you. Not saying he's a scrub just not a great fit for us IMO.

#29 mjligon

mjligon

REAL TALK ----->

• HUDDLER
  • 2,785 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Nope. Don't like him for us. I just don't see where he would fit. Doesn't appear to be a potential #1 (for us)

#30 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed Moncrief 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,261 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

i have no problems of taking Hopkins at 14.if he is the guy, take him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.