#47 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

alot more occam's razors are around that usually take away the sexiness of things. just sayin

#48 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

it's intentionally insanely complex... i constructed it that way to make a point. the issue that we're discussing here is at its core incredibly complex and points to questions that run much deeper than "hey that there flag means heritage now off with you carpetbaggers" or "oh i say jeeves isn't that fellow a neanderthal, imagine bearing such dixieland regalia"

debate rages heavily because standard arguments fail to address the entirety of the issue - which is why we're arguing about it on an internet forum when a country singer inadequately addressed it.

I cant argue with you. You are right this is very complex. I just remember a time when the majority of whites that I spoke to would not even admit that there were tensions. Racism was a myth, or an ancient disease carried by blacks to infect the "pure hearts" of the "good white common folk". I know many still feel this way, but I have never seen so many people willing to actually discuss it as I have in recent years. In and out of the web. This change is perhaps not so coincidentally centered around the election of President Obama. People are much more willing to speak out and it is becoming hard for otherwise reasonable people to ignore the obvious. That is progress to me. I interpreted the song as coming from a man who realizes his heritage is tarnished and it bothers him. He hasn't made the leap to shed that heritage but it is better than ignoring or refusing to believe it.

So I guess what I am saying is that while the song was inadequate at best, it accomplished its true purpose in giving voice to one more demographic in this crazy mixed up nation we call home.

#49 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

rapgenius is a cesspool for the most part but their page for this song is p good

http://rapgenius.com...l-racist-lyrics

I can understand why an artist like Paisley would be attracted to an artist like LL Cool J. I can’t for the life of me understand why he’d choose LL Cool J to begin “a conversation” to reconcile. Rap is overrun with artists who’ve spent some portion of their career attempting to have “a conversation.” There’s Chuck D. There’s Big Daddy Kane. There’s KRS-ONE. There’s Talib. There’s Mos Def. There’s Kendrick Lamar. There’s Black Thought. There’s Dead Prez. And so on.
In an artform distinguished by a critical mass concerned with racism, LL’s work is distinguished by its lack of concern. Which is fine. “Pink Cookies” is dope. “Booming System” is dope. “I Shot Ya” is dope. I even rock that “Who Do You Love” joint. But I wouldn’t call up Talib Kweli to record a song about gang violence in L.A., and I wouldn’t call up KRS-ONE to drop a verse on a love ballad. The only real reason to call up LL is that he is black and thus must have something insightful to say about the Confederate Flag.
The assumption that there is no real difference among black people is exactly what racism is.

If you replaced white man here with “aryan,” it would also work.

LL seems to not understand the false equivalence here — a sartorial choice is not the same thing as a symbol of centuries of pain, captivity, and dehumanization

HANDS OF ZEUS @BigGhostFASE

LL really said "if you dont judge my durag I wont judge your red flag" on that country joint yo... Like this what MLK died for?
6:28 PM - 08 Apr 13

Did LL just offer to “forget” about centuries of slavery if Mr. White Man will just not judge him by his gold chains? WHAT?

Lee commanded the Confederate army in the Civil War. His aggressive, brilliant generalship won the South a series of unlikely victories in 1862-63.
LL understands the need to pay his respects to the man who led over a million men into battle to keep his ancestors in slavery.

#50 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

rapgenius is a cesspool for the most part but their page for this song is p good

http://rapgenius.com...l-racist-lyrics

Absolutely true about LL not being the prime target for a discussion about race when there are so many other rappers who are FAR more qualified. But maybe it was just one moderate to another. Nothing more. They don't speak for the rest of us, nor should they. Let their music stand alone. I am not championing it by any means. I just recognize it for what it was.

#51 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

Posted Image

#52 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

damn

#53 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

ever seen "The Producers"?

#54 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

I'm not even going to listen to the song since for the last few years Brad Paisley has been awful and I guarantee that it's some cornball poo. I'm just going to say that people need to stop being sensitive little pussies. The confederate flag no longer represents racism, for a really long time now it represents a way of life that is unique to the south. Yes there are racist assholes who fly the flag but there's also a ton of people who are just proud of their heritage and don't really give a poo about black people one way or the other.

There will be an inevitable shitstorm about this song though where people will say they're being held down by the white man. Which pisses me off because I personally didn't have jack poo to do with slavery and you've never had to face the hardships that the actual slaves really did have to face. As a society we really need to just get over this poo because if we'd just stop talking about it then it'd go away.

#55 Sean Payton's Vicodin

Sean Payton's Vicodin

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:32 AM

song is so fuging terrible it makes me hate both black people and white people

#56 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:28 AM

I seriously doubt any civil rights leaders envisioned a world where we are forced to hold hands with one another at gunpoint. People have to want to get passed this issue. And its never gonna happen. if every time someone makes an honest effort to open up a real dialouge that forgives injustices on all sides of all arguements(cause this is not just black and white), is chastised in the public so aggressively. In turn, no ones gonna try again. So without a real open conversation, it all sounds like a broken record to me.

#57 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

Pay no attention to issues that really continue to hold black folks back (like our faulty socioeconomic system, justice system, hiring standards, education system, etc.) and pitch a fit about a song by two millionaires who couldn't give a real poo about any of you.

Seems like an adequate use of time and energy to me.

#58 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,785 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

yeah for being an uncle tom

Brad and LL were on GMA this morning... interesting interview...

I think he would not be happy to hear you say that.

#59 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

Brad and LL were on GMA this morning... interesting interview...

I think he would not be happy to hear you say that.

Okay fug him then

#60 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,066 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

Bill Maher's take: "If you don't judge the gold chains, I'll forget the iron chains" - wow, LL Cool J, I must say that's a pretty good deal for racists & slavers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.