Photo
- - - - -

Revis trade to bucs almost finalized?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
99 replies to this topic

#91 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Eric Wright is garbage dude. The rest is solid.

Agree. Wright is at best a nickel corner. The other 3 are excellent.

#92 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Buccaneers new starting secondary: LCB Darrelle Revis, RCB Eric Wright, FS Dashon Goldson, SS Mark Barron.

nasty

Wright is garbage and depth is an issue but other than that, it's pretty, pretty good.

#93 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

We're a running squad. If we can get our rush offense going, we won't have to worry about Revis like The Falcons and Saints will.

I hope to the football gods we draft a #2 TE now. It's gonna help Cam in the long too.

#94 MasterAwesome

MasterAwesome

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

The "no guaranteed money" aspect of the trade isn't that big of a deal. The way I see it...if Revis doesn't pan out or gets re-injured and they cut him early, then they just completely threw away a 1st round pick and their 4th next year.

#95 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

HUDDLER

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

The "no guaranteed money" aspect of the trade isn't that big of a deal. The way I see it...if Revis doesn't pan out or gets re-injured and they cut him early, then they just completely threw away a 1st round pick and their 4th next year.

But they won't suffer any major cap penalties.... of course it's a big deal....

#96 MasterAwesome

MasterAwesome

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

But they won't suffer any major cap penalties.... of course it's a big deal....

Right but then if that scenario played out, what would they have to show for the Revis trade? Nothing except for some lost valuable draft picks. So you're saying they'd at least find solace in the fact that their salary cap is still in tact? Hooray for moral victories I guess...

#97 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

We're a running squad. If we can get our rush offense going, we won't have to worry about Revis like The Falcons and Saints will.

I hope to the football gods we draft a #2 TE now. It's gonna help Cam in the long too.

I am not sure I would call a team that will pass more than it runs, a running team. But if you meant that when we are successful, we run the ball very well. Then I agree. If we can stay at the 57-43 split, we should be as good as anyone. I ain't worrying over the O. My ONLY concern. Can we get enough stops? Which is why I want a DT or two. Then add that TE.

#98 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

HUDDLER

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

Right but then if that scenario played out, what would they have to show for the Revis trade? Nothing except for some lost valuable draft picks. So you're saying they'd at least find solace in the fact that their salary cap is still in tact? Hooray for moral victories I guess...

And what if it works out? There are two sides to a coin you know. That risk is there for every trade.

If they get 4 years out of Revis at a very high-high level this is a very good trade for them. And once again, the can always cut him w/o the huge cap hit penalty.

The risk and reward is big enough by itself and when you add in the contract, I'm not sure how this is a bad deal for the Bucs.

#99 Sloth

Sloth

idk

HUDDLER

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

Revis is much less of a risk than just picking at 13 would be. They know Revis can play and that his floor is "competent". No guarantees for whomever they might have picked at 13.

The only harmful thing that could have hit the Bucs was if they had to surrender a bunch of high picks - which they didn't - or had to assume a crippling contract - which they also didn't..

#100 MasterAwesome

MasterAwesome

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

And what if it works out? There are two sides to a coin you know. That risk is there for every trade.

If they get 4 years out of Revis at a very high-high level this is a very good trade for them. And once again, the can always cut him w/o the huge cap hit penalty.

The risk and reward is big enough by itself and when you add in the contract, I'm not sure how this is a bad deal for the Bucs.

My point was that if everything works out and he plays at a high level for years to come, then they're paying him bucket-loads of money anyways...the fact that it's "non-guaranteed" wouldn't affect the contract in that scenario. The fact that the contract is non-guaranteed would positively affect the Bucs if they have to cut Revis at some point, but if they cut Revis prematurely then that's accepting that the trade didn't pan out and they just lost a first round pick for basically nothing. Unless of course the Bucs win the Superbowl in the next few years while Revis is on the team...but if that doesn't happen, then I don't see how the Revis trade can be considered a success if the Bucs:
1) Lose out on a 1st round pick this year/4th round pick next year (potential key cogs to their team for years to come)
2) cripple their salary cap which could have gone towards some solid free agent pick-ups
3) have to deal with his "diva" behavior in the locker room...maybe not a given that that's going to be an issue, but it has been in the past and so there's always that possibility

Of course I acknowledge the fact that having none of the salary as guaranteed is a bonus for the Bucs, but I'm just saying that either:
1) Revis plays at a high level and stays healthy and the Bucs pay out his contract (at least for a few years) = lots of $$ against the cap; Bucs maybe make the playoffs a couple times but no Superbowls
2) Revis gets hurt or doesn't pan out and the Bucs cut him prematurely (saves the Bucs that potential huge cap hit if guaranteed money was involved, but it means they basically gave up a 1st and a 4th for nothing)
3) Revis plays well for a couple years and contributes to them winning a Superbowl and then maybe gets cut once his cap hit gets extremely high (the non-guaranteed aspect of the contract would then benefit the Bucs greatly)

Only Scenario 3 would make that trade a success in my eyes, and that's a long shot. Even if the Bucs become a perennial playoff-team with Revis, that's nice and all but it's all about winning the Superbowl. I don't blame the Bucs for making this trade since teams are always going to look for ways to make their team better in hopes of winning a Superbowl, but I just don't see this trade panning out.