#121 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,855 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

nobody has gotten me mad tantric. i think those who know me here know they won't be able to either when it comes to, how do you say...Capital G. :lol:

Not you..lol but the Hatted Mad one..

#122 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,249 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

I have said many times that I am 100% in favor of helping those who try to help themselves. It is only those who want to take zero accountability and put forth no effort to improve their lives that I take issue with.

Remember the parable.....about teaching a man to fish. There is a certain level of accountability and responsibility that is expected.

i just want to mention that this is so fuging telling right here. changing jesus parables into the mantra of the republican party in an attempt to reconcile the one with the other and keep the The Golden Calf of Bristol fans of the world voting R.

ell oh fuging ell

#123 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

http://www.dailymail...depression.html

petains a bit to some of the discussions in this thread

#124 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,216 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

http://www.dailymail...depression.html

petains a bit to some of the discussions in this thread

Doesn't surprise me at all. Some all powerful being specially creating you and watching after you. Prayer that gives you a sense of control whenever your life is falling apart or anytime you feel vulnerable. The idea that everything happens for a reason and will turn out for the good of you. Eternal life. Many of those things are quite comforting especially if it doesn't come along with a bunch of religious dogma.

However I personally am more interested in truth and not believing a lie than be delusionally happy.

#125 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

those that seem to not believe in stuff seem to be the ones that start threads and or post the most on a topic that supposedly doesn't exist.

yet the christians are insecure? umm. yeah.

#126 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,249 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:03 AM

those that seem to not believe in stuff seem to be the ones that start threads and or post the most on a topic that supposedly doesn't exist.

yet the christians are insecure? umm. yeah.

surely you are joking pstall, for surely you can tell that it is possible to believe that god does not exist while understanding that the existence of god IS a topic at the same time

frankly it takes a tremendous amount of security, not insecurity, for people raised in the context of the church to raise these sorts of questions and to give them the diligence they are due. insecurity, i think, leads necessarily to search for a god to ascribe meaning and purpose.

also remember that people use this god to invoke legislative jurisdiction over multiple facets of peoples' lives that are incredibly controversial, which means people aren't just attacking it because ho hum there's nothing better to do, they're questioning it because determining the answer is essential to how we as a society determine our collective mores (or interpret them should they be given to us.) i'll never understand why christians are so quick to throw down the "why do you care so much" card while lining up at the voting booth to cram upper paleolithic cosmology down the public's throats because ken ham said it's true on klove.

#127 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,216 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

I double pie thou twice for that post if I could.

From my experience Christian s do Not want to talk theology. My father in law will. He enjoys talking to my husband and I because were the only ones that will go there. He's found that those with orthodox beliefs drop the conversation within 5 mins. He thinks its cause they really don't care they just want the good emotional highs. My father in law is an christian BTW.

Pstalls just being dismissive liker the masses are.

I think most don't want to talk about because they can't. Most Christians don't reads much of the Bible' there Bible Iq is low. I guess that could go back to not caring and just wanting that good feeling.

#128 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

Some of Jesus' harshest criticism's were for the church leadership who either did not interpret the scriptures correctly or were using them for their personal benefit. These are the same leaders who constantly sought his demise.

It is very discomforting to see some of the casual "Christians" post stuff that is not even in the bible.

Next thing you know, "cleanliness is next to Godliness" will have to be discussed. On the other hand, not many nonbelievers discuss theology that much. Theirs is more of a drive by attack using scriptures, many times not even pertaining to the present conversations.

#129 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,216 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

Some of Jesus' harshest criticism's were for the church leadership who either did not interpret the scriptures correctly or were using them for their personal benefit. These are the same leaders who constantly sought his demise.

It is very discomforting to see some of the casual "Christians" post stuff that is not even in the bible.

Next thing you know, "cleanliness is next to Godliness" will have to be discussed. On the other hand, not many nonbelievers discuss theology that much. Theirs is more of a drive by attack using scriptures, many times not even pertaining to the present conversations.

They've actually done studies about religion knowledge and Atheist/Agnostics always out perform by far. This is one of the many I've seen

http://www.pewforum....t-Religion.aspx

#130 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

Hi Cat, I was speaking in general just about the Huddle.

I would agree that Christians know very little about Islam, and vice versa. I know the basics of several of them, but do not spend huge amounts of time. Judaism would be somewhat more familiar because of the old testament. But, even the sects of Judaism become blurred at times.

#131 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

And I'm being general with the huddle as well.

Here's the deal. I understand there are two sides of the coin here and I get where some of you who are agnostic etc are coming from.
It comes across to me some of you are almost trying to convince yourself that your position is right. That's what I meant about the insecure comment. My opinion.

Every person from every walk of life has their own insecurities. That's life.

But always looking for concrete evidence on a subject of faith is oxymoronic. Faith is slippery and elusive at times and is far easier to find on your own then have it explained by someone else.
In addition I may toss out some things for a reaction to prove a subtle point about someone making comments that are counter to what one believes. Putting the shoe on the other foot and all.

I genuinely hope those here that are not chritians find and figure out the things they wrestle with if they really want to understand. Those that have commented here seem to be searching instead of just bashing.

#132 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

surely you are joking pstall, for surely you can tell that it is possible to believe that god does not exist while understanding that the existence of god IS a topic at the same time

frankly it takes a tremendous amount of security, not insecurity, for people raised in the context of the church to raise these sorts of questions and to give them the diligence they are due. insecurity, i think, leads necessarily to search for a god to ascribe meaning and purpose.

also remember that people use this god to invoke legislative jurisdiction over multiple facets of peoples' lives that are incredibly controversial, which means people aren't just attacking it because ho hum there's nothing better to do, they're questioning it because determining the answer is essential to how we as a society determine our collective mores (or interpret them should they be given to us.) i'll never understand why christians are so quick to throw down the "why do you care so much" card while lining up at the voting booth to cram upper paleolithic cosmology down the public's throats because ken ham said it's true on klove.

Absolutely correct.

Considering religion effects even us non believers on a daily basis through the actions of others, I think it is more than appropriate that we discuss it.

#133 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,216 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

Hi Cat, I was speaking in general just about the Huddle.

I would agree that Christians know very little about Islam, and vice versa. I know the basics of several of them, but do not spend huge amounts of time. Judaism would be somewhat more familiar because of the old testament. But, even the sects of Judaism become blurred at times.

Gotcha

I'm quite curious as to why you have not looked into other religions.

#134 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

theology will not make a change in a persons heart the way Jesus will.

and believers are just as impacted on a daily basis by non believers. we are all in the same boat, we just have different chairs on the deck and some have window seats and others don't.

#135 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

Gotcha

I'm quite curious as to why you have not looked into other religions.

Grew up like many of you in a conservative, bible thumping background. Walked away from that a bit during college and after. Late twenties found me heading back the old direction, but with some different views. Creation has a lot to do with it. No matter what black hole, big bang, blah, blah, blah, I read, I still felt intelligent design was where it started.

After that, Christianity was way more believable an option. Other religions did not have a complete a picture for me. I will confess that I did not spend years searching through them, but was thrown off by certain things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.