• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#76 Dash Global

Dash Global

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

If the QB has time its impossible to stop WRs that can run proper routes. I dont care who your DBs are.

Playing man, there is no way to stop a come back route, slants and drags are hard to defend as the DB will be a second / step behind the WR as he has to react after the cut, there is always soft spots in a zone.

#77 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 4,129 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Many of you have no clue what a front 7 like this does for the secondary. No idea whatsoever. And a historicly bad? Give klme a break. Its the same dudes from last year and then some

#78 PantherGuy

PantherGuy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

We improved or stayed the same at every position except LT. However, you have to consider the maturity of youth as improvement, as the aging of veterans over 32 or so as declining. I doubt Dwan has the year he had in 2012, for example, becuase he is aging and 2012 was his best as a pro. However, Short should allow the position to improve because he is rotating in and will be better than Chandler.

Well said. Not much to disagree with there.

#79 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,085 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

Many of you have no clue what a front 7 like this does for the secondary. No idea whatsoever. And a historicly bad? Give klme a break. Its the same dudes from last year and then some

Well, historically bad is silly. Too good of a front 7 and Rivera is a great D mind.

But we had a great pass rush last year....what happened in Chicago, Tampa, Atl were not examples of "well any DB will get beat with no pass rush". We simply had bodies at DB that shouldn't of been starting for a NFL team.

#80 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

But your Dwan point causes concern on O for me.....bc most likely guys like Smitty, Gross, RBs, etc will be worse. They are trending down bc of age.

I don't think we have offset by adding offensive depth

I agree. I think we are OK at RB, but WR and T--concerns. Is Hixon, Gettis, etc enough if Smitty hits the wall? No. If Gross goes down or slides, what do we do?
we really need a LT and WR next year.

#81 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,234 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

Gamble went down in week 4. That is 12+ games where someone covered the #1&2 WR. We finished middle of the pack, even if we only improve slightly, that should be good enough.

Our pass rush slowed down later in games, mostly because of a lack of depth. With Star and Short. That fatigue will not be there. We will be rushing fresh bodies all game long. That is huge.

Another aspect that gets overlooked is the fact that teams will now have to max protect. Leaving fewer players out in passing routes. That is in our favor as well.

The fearful will always find something to fret over. But, honestly, with this D. That shouldn’t even be a consideration.

#82 Verge

Verge

Huddle Troll Legend

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

Our numbers against number 1 receivers last year were pretty awesome. Great pass rush = good pass defense

#83 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,105 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

This guy gets it.

After holing up and watching film our Gm, a 26 year pro-personel guy, said he didn't see any glaring holes on this team. I think I trust that assessment. It's not like an ex-beat writer made that statement.

Posted Image

#84 scarface

scarface

• HUDDLER
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

1. Its the same secondary the Panthers had all last year that was 10th in defense. The only players lost are Gamble, that missed all season and Martin, that rarely played.

2. Webb was added at CB and Mitchell was added at S.

3. The DL is much, much more talented this year than last.

Conclusion: This thread makes no sense.

#85 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

If i said it once i will say it again, i really dont know what games some people were watching when stuff like this comes up.

#86 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,466 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

Nobody remembers that Mike Mintor was the best player in the secondary on the 2003 team.
Had a bunch of no name corners, and a stop gap at the other safety position.

Giants have won two recent superbowls without a star studded secondary.

We'll be fine.

#87 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

#Cary Williams#Corey Graham#Tarell Brown #Carlos Rogers

#88 shelbypanther

shelbypanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

Nobody remembers that Mike Mintor was the best player in the secondary on the 2003 team.
Had a bunch of no name corners, and a stop gap at the other safety position.

Giants have won two recent superbowls without a star studded secondary.

We'll be fine.

The corner that resembled a piece of burnt toast on the Super Bowl squad was Terry Cousin. Every damned big play an opposing offense ran that year against us, including Brady in the SB, sure enough, Cousin was trailing the play after getting burned. Cousin did more to lose us that Super Bowl than Dan Henning's early play calling or Kasay kicking the ball out of bounds ever did. :mad:

#89 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:50 AM

While I don't expect it to be historically bad I'm gonna wait til they perform well against some good QBs before talking about how good they are.

#90 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:58 AM

Nakamura and Martin will not be starting.

With just that sentence we are automatically better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.