Photo
- - - - -

What did you see to support the claim our secondary improved over the course of last season?

Carolina Panthers

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#46 SauceBoss

SauceBoss

IT IS WHAT IT IS

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

And can someone post the time of possession statistics from the first 8 games and the last 8? B/c stats do lie. Our offense got better, therefore the D was on the field less. I'd be interested to see this.

#47 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

Wow you're a homer. Let me know how Drayton Florence is a playmaker? Go back in time to this forum last fall and see how many people wanted Captain's head and how he and Norman couldn't cover squat. So all of a sudden this is rectified by some sort of poo magic? We do not have a starting quality corner on this team, and the safeties aren't much better. We may be able to stop the run now, but why run on this team when you can light them up all day? Just remember the last 2 mins of that Bears game last year and you will see that carry over this year. Here's to hoping we sign a veteran after June 1, a starting veteran.

Homer it is!

I rather have faith in my team who is taking the steps toward the right path than sitting behind the laptop and whine about the same crap over and over.

Go back and check the last 5-7 SB teams and name me one legitimate shutdown corner. You won't find one!

The secondary is a unit unlike a receiving corp that history have shown that you can get pass by it with a group by committee if you have a good front 7, which we do.

#48 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,193 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

I'm telling you guys get ready to really like Mike Mitchell at SS. He will have a Marlon McCree type impact on this team.

i hope so.

i think we'll be ok at safety, esp with the addition of lester.

#49 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,050 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

end thread?

nah...who am i kidding. this will get  spun to show that it doesn't prove anything.

Who doesn't think that the passing defense had issues last year?? Using whole year stats does not prove that the secondary improved or not. Secondly as I said earlier, 4 of the touchdowns scored by New Orleans and Atlanta were in junk time when we were sitting on big leads and playing prevent. The purpose of the game is not to limit passing yards but to win the game by scoring more points which we did in the last several games. The guys I think really improved all played at the end of the year and improved from game to game. Dockery started 2 and Thomas started 4. So tell me how whole year stats are even remotely relevant.

Frankly that chart doesn't prove anything in regards to the discussion and anyone remotely aware of the season would know that.

#50 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,050 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

Wow you're a homer. Let me know how Drayton Florence is a playmaker? Go back in time to this forum last fall and see how many people wanted Captain's head and how he and Norman couldn't cover squat. So all of a sudden this is rectified by some sort of poo magic? We do not have a starting quality corner on this team, and the safeties aren't much better. We may be able to stop the run now, but why run on this team when you can light them up all day? Just remember the last 2 mins of that Bears game last year and you will see that carry over this year. Here's to hoping we sign a veteran after June 1, a starting veteran.

So you don't think that young players starting for the first time get better with time? How they were last year is how they will be forever?? I wonder if that applies to all positions? I wonder if Johnson and Hardy improved from year to year? Nah, they sucked just like they did year 1.

Amirite???

#51 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,193 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

Who doesn't think that the passing defense had issues last year?? Using whole year stats does not prove that the secondary improved or not. Secondly as I said earlier, 4 of the touchdowns scored by New Orleans and Atlanta were in junk time when we were sitting on big leads and playing prevent. The purpose of the game is not to limit passing yards but to win the game by scoring more points which we did in the last several games. The guys I think really improved all played at the end of the year and improved from game to game. Dockery started 2 and Thomas started 4. So tell me how whole year stats are even remotely relevant.

Frankly that chart doesn't prove anything in regards to the discussion and anyone remotely aware of the season would know that.

wow you're in a pissy argumentative mood aren't you?

that chart was saying that we got better from 2011 to 2012. big picture, the defense did more of what it was supposed to last year as opposed to the year before.

#52 Chief Keek

Chief Keek

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

Not much evidence to show that supports the claim because it was towards the end of the season but that doesn't mean they didn't improve. Thomas, Dockery, and Campbell looked good out there and made big stops in a lot of the games we won.

I think the experience will help Norman elevate his game. Also with the addition of Florence, Mitchell, Moore, and Lester I think the secondary will be fine. Not to mention having a nasty front 7 will go a long way providing support to the secondary.

#53 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

end thread?

nah...who am i kidding. this will get  spun to show that it doesn't prove anything.

How does a chart comparing 2011 to 2012 end a thread discussing whether the secondary improved over the 2012 season? This thread how nothing to do with 2011 so that chart is irrelevant to the discussion at hand

#54 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,193 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

How does a chart comparing 2011 to 2012 end a thread discussing whether the secondary improved over the 2012 season? This thread how nothing to do with 2011 so that chart is irrelevant to the discussion at hand

the thread title isn't that specific.

What did you see to support the claim our secondary improved last season?

what that chart shows is growth from year one to year two. the results support the claim that the defense got better against the pass. they did their job better.

2011 results were the starting point. 2012 is the ending point.

#55 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

the thread title isn't that specific.

What did you see to support the claim our secondary improved last season?

what that chart shows is growth from year one to year two. the results support the claim that the defense got better against the pass. they did their job better.

2011 results were the starting point. 2012 is the ending point.

Ok I'll clarify in the OP. However, actually reading through the thread you would see the point was to discuss how the secondary improved over the season.

#56 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

i hope so.

i think we'll be ok at safety, esp with the addition of lester.

I'm telling you Mitchell is going to be a player this year. Gettlemen Pro Player evaluation skills mixed with the size & speed combination this guy has (6'1 215-217LB running a 4.46).  Add in the profootball focus breakdown and the better coaching he will get with us then he did with the raiders. I'm really getting a good vibe out of him.

#57 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

Stopping the run makes calling the defenses a lot easier. Our secondary got better because we upgraded Nakamura. Thomas and Dockery got experience. Moore and Munnerlyn are solid nickels.

#58 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,345 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

How many playmakers did we have in the secondary in '03? 

#59 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,193 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

Ok I'll clarify in the OP. However, actually reading through the thread you would see the point was to discuss how the secondary improved over the season.

actually reading through the thread i saw pissing matches and name calling.

not worth reading the whole thing. just skimming is enough, thanks.

thanks for the clarification in the title.

specifically...the team as a whole just got their crap together.

the coaching staff quit being fancy and instead of lots of blitzes and stunts just relied on their DL for the pass rush. keek controlled the middle of the field, and the defense ran most of the time in nickel packages (after the first down) and sometimes in dime packages. they did a lot of zone and a little man, but quite often it was in zone nickel packages. 

norman was in over his head and needed to sit down. the guys they asked to step up did. godfrey started playing more later in the year at FS.

first down the panthers pretty much shut down the run in their "base" using their front seven and forced the offense to focus on passing the next couple downs and that's when the D went to nickel packages using 5 DBs instead of an LB. it was just a matter of flooding the area with DBs and all you needed to do was crowd the receivers and pretty much just not screw up.

that's my explanation anyway. the proof is in the end results and the improvement overall in the D from the first half of the season (where they were ranked poorly across the board) to the last half (where they worked their way up into the top 10).

#60 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

actually reading through the thread i saw pissing matches and name calling.

not worth reading the whole thing. just skimming is enough, thanks.

thanks for the clarification in the title.

specifically...the team as a whole just got their crap together.

the coaching staff quit being fancy and instead of lots of blitzes and stunts just relied on their DL for the pass rush. keek controlled the middle of the field, and the defense ran most of the time in nickel packages (after the first down) and sometimes in dime packages. they did a lot of zone and a little man, but quite often it was in zone nickel packages. 

norman was in over his head and needed to sit down. the guys they asked to step up did. godfrey started playing more later in the year at FS.

first down the panthers pretty much shut down the run in their "base" using their front seven and forced the offense to focus on passing the next couple downs and that's when the D went to nickel packages using 5 DBs instead of an LB. it was just a matter of flooding the area with DBs and all you needed to do was crowd the receivers and pretty much just not screw up.

that's my explanation anyway. the proof is in the end results and the improvement overall in the D from the first half of the season (where they were ranked poorly across the board) to the last half (where they worked their way up into the top 10).

The 4th post I compared the first half of the season to the second. Didn't need to read far to see I was talking about just last season.

Anyway, you say they forced opponents into passing downs and put more DBs on the field. Yet the opponent was still getting yards, putting up points, and completing a high percentage of passing. How is that improvement?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com