YouTube better than TV?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,541 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

According to this presentation, more 18-34 year olds watch YouTube than any cable network. I don't know why this blows me away but it does.

http://www.charlotte...le-with-tv.html

#2 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,075 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

That's the internet age. Cable and satellite are sorely outdated. Same poo all day everyday.

Most people only watch for good TV shows now anyways, and you have plenty of options for that.

#3 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

YouTube sucks on my home computer... Nothing loads... I think it is my ISP throttling it or something.

#4 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,541 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

That's the internet age. Cable and satellite are sorely outdated. Same poo all day everyday.

Most people only watch for good TV shows now anyways, and you have plenty of options for that.

This is true. Once it becomes as easy as just turning on the TV, cable/satellite will fade fast.  

#5 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,961 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

YouTube offers unlimited instant, on-demand viewing and new material every minute.  All you need is an internet conncection and a PC, or laptop, or smartphone, or tablet...

It's only a matter of time before cable goes the way of print media.

#6 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

I go to Youtube for sneezing pandas and have never equated it as a TV replacement.  Other sites that have streaming episodes/movies, sure.  I even use my googletv and appletv to stream those sites to my TV.  But youtube is just a replacement for America's Funniest Videos for me.  Watch it for a few minutes, laugh at dumb stuff, then move on. 

#7 Boner Champ

Boner Champ

Future Training Camp MVP

• HUDDLER
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

I think they meant YouPron

#8 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,961 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

I bet a lot of those 18-34 year olds use Youtube as their main source of music too. You can stream just about any song or album on there, for free obviously. 

#9 Krucid

Krucid

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

Until the cable and satellite companies get their heads out of their asses, sites like youtube will continue to become more popular. Cable and satellite providers are going to eventually have to change the way they offer tv services. For instance, they need to start letting people order only the programming that they want.

My mother has like 200 stations but only watches maybe 5 stations. However, to get those stations she has to buy the expensive package.

Youtube and similar places are definitely the future.

#10 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,332 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

As an 18-34 year old, I also go to the huddle instead of reading books.

#11 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,541 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

As an 18-34 year old, I also go to the huddle instead of reading books.

what have we become!?!?!

#12 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • 3,405 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

I watch youtube more than regular tv. I usually always watch it while I'm at the gym doing cardio, writing the paper, or doing something else mundane. You can't see poo like this on cable television anyways

#13 RedMage138

RedMage138

YES!YES!YES!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

Two_Best_Friends_Play.png

These guys get more of my time on a daily basis than TV does.

#14 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,181 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

Im a HD snob...if unnamed streaming websites could get the games in HD then my cable bill ends!!

Also in theory paying for the channels you want is nice but the content providers like FOX(Fox, FX, Fox News, Fox sports etc) or a Viacom(MTV, NICK, VH1, Palladia, Comedy Central?) makes you pay their whole network pkg..or makes the cable, Satelitte company pay for it..

Bc who the hell would buy CSPAN2 or the channel that shows a space satellite? I dont watch golf or racing either..

Low ad revenue Channels like Pallidia (which I like alot) are subsidized by the MTVs and Nicks...sad but ala carte live tv is not a reality yet.

If I could get my sports easily then an apple tv or like sevice will be running my media viewing.

#15 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts
  • Locationthe.black.lodge

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

Im a HD snob...if unnamed streaming websites could get the games in HD then my cable bill ends!!

Also in theory paying for the channels you want is nice but the content providers like FOX(Fox, FX, Fox News, Fox sports etc) or a Viacom(MTV, NICK, VH1, Palladia, Comedy Central?) makes you pay their whole network pkg..or makes the cable, Satelitte company pay for it..

Bc who the hell would buy CSPAN2 or the channel that shows a space satellite? I dont watch golf or racing either..

Low ad revenue Channels like Pallidia (which I like alot) are subsidized by the MTVs and Nicks...sad but ala carte live tv is not a reality yet.

If I could get my sports easily then an apple tv or like sevice will be running my media viewing.

Cable providers are going to be too late with the ala carte style suscriptions imo.  It would be great but the whole smart tv/app type set-up will take over the cable format.  You'll get a package, and go to the Palladia/FX/AMC "apps".  Apps will take over channels essentially imo since they are completely integrated across devices/tvs/etc.   

I'm already in the full AppleTV (hdmirror, netlifx, hulu) package essentially.  

Get the highest internet speed possible and know the internet backroads and it's set.  Its just the sports that are the tricky one, but that's what a bar is for :)    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com