Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TruthVsComfort

Five NFC teams that failed to fill needs (ATL & CAR included)

120 posts in this topic

We're going to regret passing on Keenan Allen

i'm not suggesting ignoring much higher rated. just don't be a slave to BPA. it can be as harmful as being a slave to addressing needs.

if an area of need rates lower than the BPA by a few spots, go with the need.

Yup, being a slave to anything is a bad idea - but BPA should be the priority because you never known when a need will arise. Nobody perceived LB as a need last year, but we're damn lucky we drafted Luke. It may seem like a waste to have used our top two picks on DT's but what happens in Dwan goes down? 

If Smitty goes down (God forbid) we're in trouble, but you can scheme around the loss of a WR much easier then you can scheme around the loss of a DT... not much you can do scheme-wise to stop a team from running the ball down your throat. 

I think you are much safer erring on the side of BPA then you are on need... attempting to fill needs through the draft almost unavoidably causes you to reach for players and leave other more talented players on the board. 

To some extent, yes... it's a consideration - but successful teams don't let need overrule BPA. 

When the 14th pick came up if there was a HB and a DT on our board with the same grade or a very similar grade, then we would break the tie based on need, but according to Gettleman that wasn't the case. There was no WR that graded anything close to Star or KK on our board when those picks came up. 

Board goes vertical and horizontal.....NEED determines who on the horizontal board gets picked.  Board is different for every team.  Some really good players don't even get put up.  For example, TE and DT.  Need bigger at DT so DT was picked.  We already know Gettlemen had 3 guys showing up on his horizontal board.  Need dictated the pick.  I would argue their are fair odds someone like Hopkins could of been that 3rd guy discussed.

Same goes for most all of the draft.

It remains to be seen, but we weren't the only ones passing on him and there's good reason for that. 

Doubt it!

Board goes vertical and horizontal.....NEED determines who on the horizontal board gets picked.  Board is different for every team.  Some really good players don't even get put up.  For example, TE and DT.  Need bigger at DT so DT was picked.  We already know Gettlemen had 3 guys showing up on his horizontal board.  Need dictated the pick.  I would argue their are fair odds someone like Hopkins could of been that 3rd guy discussed.

Same goes for most all of the draft.

Yup, the board is filtered by need - I'm not denying that - but ultimately BPA rules the day. 

Waaaah... I want it all, now! Jesus. We aren't 1 WR away from winning it all this year. Let Gettleman build up/sort out the damn roster. You people are caricatures.

This

Waaaah... I want it all, now! Jesus. We aren't 1 WR away from winning it all this year. Let Gettleman build up/sort out the damn roster. You people are caricatures.

everybody should want this team to win considering they have been rebuilding for several years and havent had a winning season since 08.but hey, whats another 4 years.

This

Based on?