Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Deangelo Williams Restructures Contract

Carolina Panthers

Best Answer catfang, 15 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

Nice!!  Man its good to have real football people running the FO.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#166 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,963 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

Does this make Barner a wasted pick now? or is this restructure in prep for a trade?

Williams is still a 30 yr old RB....he still doesn't fit many of the looks Cam has often thrived in since entering the league.

So no, Williams still largely represents the past....and not a big part of the offense if you are looking at the next 3-4 year window

#167 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,584 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

do people not realize that this is the EXACT same thing Hurney would do time and time again. we'd enter the offseason over the cap (like always), he'd restructure several players pushing cap hits into the future which would have course ensure that we'd be over the cap next season which would start the cycle all over again. this type of move doesn't help cap hell it extends it.

even so i recognize these type of restructures are somewhat of a necessary evil in some situations but honestly we're not in that situation right now where we need to do this. also these moves are best to do with players you know for sure you want to keep around for awhile because of the increased dead money hits if you have to cut them. kalil and olsen were restructured in this manner earlier this offseason, when we needed the money, and they're obviously players we want to keep around long term. doing this for an aging injury prone RB when we don't even need the money for any immediate use makes zero sense

if he blows out his knee in training camp, well thats an extra 4 million in guaranteed money we end up paying that we wouldn't have before this move. if we cut him next year we end up sucking up even more of a dead money cap hit. the only way this move is better is if we keep for at least two more seasons if not three, and even then it's only better than the previous (horrible) contract not better than cutting him

sorry for the real talk, everyone go back to celebrating (just like 99% of people here did when he signed the original contract extension that looks so horrible now)

#168 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

do people not realize that this is the EXACT same thing Hurney would do time and time again. we'd enter the offseason over the cap (like always), he'd restructure several players pushing cap hits into the future which would have course ensure that we'd be over the cap next season which would start the cycle all over again. this type of move doesn't help cap hell it extends it.

even so i recognize these type of restructures are somewhat of a necessary evil in some situations but honestly we're not in that situation right now where we need to do this. also these moves are best to do with players you know for sure you want to keep around for awhile because of the increased dead money hits if you have to cut them. kalil and olsen were restructured in this manner earlier this offseason, when we needed the money, and they're obviously players we want to keep around long term. doing this for an aging injury prone RB when we don't even need the money for any immediate use makes zero sense

if he blows out his knee in training camp, well thats an extra 4 million in guaranteed money we end up paying that we wouldn't have before this move. if we cut him next year we end up sucking up even more of a dead money cap hit. the only way this move is better is if we keep for at least two more seasons if not three, and even then it's only better than the previous (horrible) contract not better than cutting him

sorry for the real talk, everyone go back to celebrating (just like 99% of people here did when he signed the original contract extension that looks so horrible now)

ultimately, gettlemen is working with the hand he was dealt with, and he's done a good job of it thus far.

...and very few people actually celebrated the retarded contract hurney gave wlliams.

#169 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,963 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

ultimately, gettlemen is working with the hand he was dealt with, and he's done a good job of it thus far.

...and very few people actually celebrated the retarded contract hurney gave wlliams.

Hurney would have dealt with the hand he dealt himself as well....

Bottom line is we have a new GM. Normally that means drastic change. To date, the band is together. Hurney's roster.

James Anderson being released IMO is the only thing people can realistically say they don't think Hurney would have done. That isn't much when you consider we have a new GM...

Gettlemen must not think Hurney built a bad team....if he did he would have brought in an axe. Or maybe JR thinks it is good.

And no, most of the Huddle endorsed the Williams deal. Go pull an old thread.

#170 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,077 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Well here we go with the song and dance.

"Gettleman is just another Hurney, we're screwed!!!!!!"

#171 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,963 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

Well here we go with the song and dance.

"Gettleman is just another Hurney, we're screwed!!!!!!"

Not just another Hurney. He has some clear differences being a football guy.

Some people think Jerry Richardon is a powerful and very influential man here. The type who doesn't even allow a new GM to make a call on a hot seat coach...despite being termed the fix it guy. How that isn't more talked about...I don't know

Some think he rides around in a golf cart all day and doesn't ultimately set the direction we go in many aspects.

#172 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,518 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Why people continue to defend Hurney's loser ass is beyond me. The fuging guy traded up to pick Armanti and Everette Brown and tried to trade away the 2011 first round pick for Jimmy fuging Clausen. Quit defending that asshole!

#173 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,077 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

Not just another Hurney. He has some clear differences being a football guy.

Some people think Jerry Richardon is a powerful and very influential man here. The type who doesn't even allow a new GM to make a call on a hot seat coach...despite being termed the fix it guy. How that isn't more talked about...I don't know

Some think he rides around in a golf cart all day and doesn't ultimately set the direction we go in many aspects.

No argument here on Jerry Richardson.

As I've said before, I will not issue judgement until I see some football played.

#174 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

it appears to me that gettleman is leaving Rivera with no excuses. Hes giving him everything he needs to succeed this season especially depth in case of injuries.

#175 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,315 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

Why people continue to defend Hurney's loser ass is beyond me. The fuging guy traded up to pick Armanti and Everette Brown and tried to trade away the 2011 first round pick for Jimmy fuging Clausen. Quit defending that asshole!

Not to be pedantic, but he traded the 2nd round pick. If it was our 2011 first we'd all be dead by now.

#176 Password is Taco

Password is Taco

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

It feels so comforting knowing we have someone legit running things and not a circus clown.

no more d-will contracts, no more armanti picks.

fug YEAH gettles

#177 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,963 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

it appears to me that gettleman is leaving Rivera with no excuses. Hes giving him everything he needs to succeed this season especially depth in case of injuries.

A "passing league"....and we reside in a passing division.

What has Gettlemen improved outside the DT spot? And bench depth at other spots? Ron needs secondary talent.....that cost him games and made decent coaching look bad. OL also is a big issue.

#178 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,518 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

Not to be pedantic, but he traded the 2nd round pick. If it was our 2011 first we'd all be dead by now.

I was referring to the rumor that in 2010, Hurney was trying to trade up to draft Clausen in the first round but there were no takers.  If he had succeeded, we would have given up the 2011 #1 over all for Pickles in 2010.

#179 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

To think Hurney couldn't work Hurney magic on his boys....is a tad far fetched IMO. Also leans heavily to just having a bias against the old and opting to look at the new in a favorable light.

These restructures where so obvious Joe Person pointed them all out. The lone exception being the Stewart one and no one understands what it does.

Hurney was here for a decade....he could do basics. Again, his biggest struggle was going to big on initial extensions for his guys and trading draft picks.

People at like if he was still here he couldn't pull of glaringly obvious moves....

I remain in the camp Hurney was done with football and willing to fall on Richardson sword for him. He was here for a decade....his teams still accomplished more despite the post 2010 statement and Delhomme ordeal than most teams did in that span.

Has Gettlemen really taken is in a new direction or just kept the band together...and had a draft class.....and done the type bargain shipping we have for years. Again, Gettlemen is a football guys so I would imagine he is better at adding talent. But people IMO are spinning Gettlemen as this guru....when Hurney would have done much of the same. Gettlemen will take years to show what he is....

And I again, my stance is rooted in the fact I believe the guy on the golf cart has big input in things.....he just doesn't talk to the media like some owners

Great post. Absolutely agree with everything you said.

#180 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,315 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

I was referring to the rumor that in 2010, Hurney was trying to trade up to draft Clausen in the first round but there were no takers. If he had succeeded, we would have given up the 2011 #1 over all for Pickles in 2010.

oh my god. . .I don't even want to imagine that. And I think my brain skipped over the "tried to" part in your original post, my bad.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com