790 replies to this topic

#151 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,509 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

It most definitely was. He was doing the exact same thing that Bwood was doing, he was just better at hiding it - apparently anyhow. 

Does he know for a fact that SZ is a black man?

#152 Crixtala

Crixtala

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationAsheville

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

You see, for the non-racist or person who at least actively combats his/her naturally racist tendencies, the word "black" is completely unnecessary in your description, as it is wouldn't be seen as a cause for the other accompanying negative comments. However, in your tiny, proud-to-be-bigoted little brain it is absolutely critical, because the person being black is part of the cause of the undesirable traits.

There within you'll encounter the difference.

You won't get that, though.

hitnail.jpg

#153 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,609 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

Does that fuging matter? Does he have to outright state "well assuming you are a black man" like Bwood's ignorant ass did? It was quite obviously implied based on the conversation that it occurred in. 

#154 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,509 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

Important to note I have no fuging clue who most of you are, so I have no reason to not ban you.

So I am not trying to protect anyone.

#155 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,609 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

Also yes, SZ posted pictures in the "show your face thread". He's most definitely a black man. 

#156 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

This is hilarious

Why?

#157 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

I once had a coworker tell an Asian coworker that "being positive" was "an Asian thing"...

That may be a complimentary stereotype to some, but it is also a racist statement because you are quantifying an entire race with a single statement.

#158 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,948 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

Depends on your view of "martial arts masters". But on a base level, yes. You associate martial arts with asians, and seeing this lithe, muscular asian man, you immediately think of him as a martial artist - so on a basic level, it is racial stereotyping.

Well I see what you're saying... and it makes sense... but is it necessarily "bad"?

Just because it's "racial stereotyping" does that make it "racist?"

I don't know this particular fellow... and my initial impression of him (although in this particular case is a "positive" one, unless I was looking for someone to rob or something) wouldn't preclude me from talking with him or anything...

The flip side of it is that I've met many, many people (white, black and otherwise) that my initial impression was not positive, but after I spoke with them they were perfectly decent people.

Initial impressions shouldn't be the deciding factor for anything... but everyone has them.

#159 The_Light_Brigade

The_Light_Brigade

Theirs but to do and die:

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationCaddyshack

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

So he sterotyped.  And sterotyping is racism.  So ban?  Maybe we should have a tibal council where someone can bring up a case.  Said case can be discussed, evidence presented and any punishment delt with?  Zod can be judge.

#160 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,750 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

I have said that on a couple of occasions including in that thread.

I would venture to say that, yeah, he did.

#161 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,317 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

I get what Kurb is saying.  Stereotypes exist for a reason, and I think they are hilarious.  If you can't laugh at yourself, or your own race, then I feel bad for you.

It's how you apply said stereotypes that make you a bad racist a-hole.

#162 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,609 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Well I see what you're saying... and it makes sense... but is it necessarily "bad"?

Just because it's "racial stereotyping" does that make it "racist?"

There are varying degrees of severity, with racism, much like anything. However it is key to the discussion to realize that yes it IS racist. What you would consider "positive stereotypes" can most certainly be used in a negative manner. For instance, making fun of an asian kid who's bad at math because "Asians are good at math". The point is that stereotyping a group by applying a stereotype based on the race of said group, is racist.

#163 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,089 posts

You see, for the non-racist or person who at least actively combats his/her naturally racist tendencies, the word "black" is completely unnecessary in your description, as it is wouldn't be seen as a cause for the other accompanying negative comments. However, in your tiny, proud-to-be-bigoted little brain it is absolutely critical, because the person being black is part of the cause of the undesirable traits.

There within you'll encounter the difference.

You won't get that, though.

I think that's one of the most important things in this thread.

We all have natural biases.  Blame our parents, the kids you grew up, the school kids you spent your youth around, whatever you like but I think its a natural part of being human.  The trick comes in with how effectively you suppress it.  Can you give someone who doesn't look like you a fair chance to account for themselves as a human being regardless of their skin tone, the tattoos on their face, the God they pray to, or the clothes on their back?

Racism is only a small part of the prejudices and biases that keep us apart.

#164 The_Light_Brigade

The_Light_Brigade

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationCaddyshack

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

Why?

Because I have a sense of humor.  The visual of Biscuit coming to this conclusion while in his sweatband, clumsily lifting weights.  All while a graceful, petite asian gentlemen goes about his workout.  Biscuit longing for the day to perform the crane on a post in the middle of a beach.  It makes me smile.  Don't judge me.

#165 The_Light_Brigade

The_Light_Brigade

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationCaddyshack

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

I think that's one of the most important things in this thread.

We all have natural biases.  Blame our parents, the kids you grew up, the school kids you spent your youth around, whatever you like but I think its a natural part of being human.  The trick comes in with how effectively you suppress it.  Can you give someone who doesn't look like you a fair chance to account for themselves as a human being regardless of their skin tone, the tattoos on their face, the God they pray to, or the clothes on their back?

Racism is only a small part of the prejudices and biases that keep us apart.

Well said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com