Photo
- - - - -

Am I the only one that wants us to be a conservative ground and pound offense?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
89 replies to this topic

#13 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

I don't want us to have a conservative offense because that will easily lose you some games... But I wouldn't be opposed to a 55-45 run to pass offense.

#14 xerxes

xerxes

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Meh average of possession is kinda random. Here's the listings. What matters is being about to possess the clock when you need to and score when you need to. 

I would agree we need to get "more conservative" in the sense that we need to be able to pull out the power running game when we need to control possession; however, the modern NFL is not based on the ground. All the rules favor the pass game now. If you can't pass, you can't win.

#15 sanjay_rajput

sanjay_rajput

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

Is it impossible to be good at passing AND running the ball? People want one or the other, but why not both? Pass early, get a lead, run the ball and contol the game to put it away!8

Its not impossible and we have the personnel to do both (running more) .....I think you run the ball first which opens up play action... throw in some read option and Cam's scrambling ability you have a lethal balanced offense........  I think this year we are going to have better WR corp.... Smitty, Olsen, Hixon, & Lafell to stretch the field..... Gettis or Pilares  in the slot for short yardage ..... or two TE set with Olsen and Brandon Williams (if he lives up to his expectation) 

#16 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

What is the point of having a qb like Cam Newton if you want to turn him into a game manager. Hell Derek Anderson could do that.

#17 The Huddler

The Huddler

^ 99 OVR ^

SUPPORTER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

Balance. Balance. Balance.

We should be balanced on offense. Also I think that balance should be achieved on offensive plays. Furthermore when the Panthers have the ball, for every pass that is thrown a running play should be run to equal proportions, otherwise known as balance.

BALANCE!!!

theres at least two on this boat. Im with ya 100% on this

#18 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

I agree with offensive balance as long as it's effective.  But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. If you're running it down someone's throat, then no need to pass. If you are having trouble running, then you have to be willing to take the training wheels off and let the rock fly. I just want adaptivity sprinkled with a little creativity once in awhile. Draw plays can be as effective as passes, and screen passes can be effective as effective as runs. You have to keep the opposing defense imbalanced.

#19 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

Balance. Balance. Balance.

We should be balanced on offense. Also I think that balance should be achieved on offensive plays. Furthermore when the Panthers have the ball, for every pass that is thrown a running play should be run to equal proportions, otherwise known as balance.

BALANCE!!!

Rivera has said he believes in balance on offense, but his take on what that word means isn't necessarily the same as what most people think when they hear that term.

For Rivera, "balance" means the offense has the ability to attack whatever weakness the other team's defense shows. They can't tackle? We run. They can't cover? We pass. They can do both? We throw out a different wrinkle. Whatever works, that's what they wanna do.

And honestly, "whatever works" is a good summary of my offensive philosophy. I'm a complete pragmatist in this area. If we can score points by running draw plays very down, heck, go for it. I don't give a rip if it's boring as long as it wins. I'll take boring wins over exciting losses any day of the week.

#20 pantherj

pantherj

HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

We're going to face all kinds of defenses this season. Teams loaded up front, teams with amazing speed in the secondary, ect. What our OC has to do is create a plan of attack based on postions where we have a matchup advantage.

#21 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

We're going to face all kinds of defenses this season. Teams loaded up front, teams with amazing speed in the secondary, ect. What our OC has to do is create a plan of attack based on postions where we have a matchup advantage.

Pretty much.

The coaching staff's job between now and September is to build and train a roster that's capable of executing whatever kind of attack they need to use.

#22 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

I honestly prefer winning than being able to claim some silly outdated label that a few posters who can't come to grips with what the NFL is today and just want to hold on to some silly notion that we're playing the game "the way it's meant to be huzzah!!"

#23 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

The offense needs to be versatile. If the O-line is decent , we should be. TOP is important but the team must finish drives. The red zone offense has to produce.

The run game needs to be effective from day 1. Also, Shula needs to call a good game and not be predictable.  This year will tell if Shula is ready. He has his chance.  Hope he makes the best of it.

#24 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

SUPPORTER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

I honestly prefer winning than being able to claim some silly outdated label that a few posters who can't come to grips with what the NFL is today and just want to hold on to some silly notion that we're playing the game "the way it's meant to be huzzah!!"

We haven't done a lot of winning with our "innovative" offense the past two seasons. huzzah!