Photo
- - - - -

Am I the only one that wants us to be a conservative ground and pound offense?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#16 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

What is the point of having a qb like Cam Newton if you want to turn him into a game manager. Hell Derek Anderson could do that.

#17 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,727 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

Balance. Balance. Balance.

We should be balanced on offense. Also I think that balance should be achieved on offensive plays. Furthermore when the Panthers have the ball, for every pass that is thrown a running play should be run to equal proportions, otherwise known as balance.

BALANCE!!!

theres at least two on this boat. Im with ya 100% on this

#18 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,337 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

I agree with offensive balance as long as it's effective.  But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. If you're running it down someone's throat, then no need to pass. If you are having trouble running, then you have to be willing to take the training wheels off and let the rock fly. I just want adaptivity sprinkled with a little creativity once in awhile. Draw plays can be as effective as passes, and screen passes can be effective as effective as runs. You have to keep the opposing defense imbalanced.

#19 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,788 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

Balance. Balance. Balance.

We should be balanced on offense. Also I think that balance should be achieved on offensive plays. Furthermore when the Panthers have the ball, for every pass that is thrown a running play should be run to equal proportions, otherwise known as balance.

BALANCE!!!

Rivera has said he believes in balance on offense, but his take on what that word means isn't necessarily the same as what most people think when they hear that term.

For Rivera, "balance" means the offense has the ability to attack whatever weakness the other team's defense shows. They can't tackle? We run. They can't cover? We pass. They can do both? We throw out a different wrinkle. Whatever works, that's what they wanna do.

And honestly, "whatever works" is a good summary of my offensive philosophy. I'm a complete pragmatist in this area. If we can score points by running draw plays very down, heck, go for it. I don't give a rip if it's boring as long as it wins. I'll take boring wins over exciting losses any day of the week.

#20 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

We're going to face all kinds of defenses this season. Teams loaded up front, teams with amazing speed in the secondary, ect. What our OC has to do is create a plan of attack based on postions where we have a matchup advantage.

#21 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,788 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

We're going to face all kinds of defenses this season. Teams loaded up front, teams with amazing speed in the secondary, ect. What our OC has to do is create a plan of attack based on postions where we have a matchup advantage.

Pretty much.

The coaching staff's job between now and September is to build and train a roster that's capable of executing whatever kind of attack they need to use.

#22 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,868 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

I honestly prefer winning than being able to claim some silly outdated label that a few posters who can't come to grips with what the NFL is today and just want to hold on to some silly notion that we're playing the game "the way it's meant to be huzzah!!"

#23 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,285 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

The offense needs to be versatile. If the O-line is decent , we should be. TOP is important but the team must finish drives. The red zone offense has to produce.

The run game needs to be effective from day 1. Also, Shula needs to call a good game and not be predictable.  This year will tell if Shula is ready. He has his chance.  Hope he makes the best of it.

#24 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

• HUDDLER
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

I honestly prefer winning than being able to claim some silly outdated label that a few posters who can't come to grips with what the NFL is today and just want to hold on to some silly notion that we're playing the game "the way it's meant to be huzzah!!"

We haven't done a lot of winning with our "innovative" offense the past two seasons. huzzah!

#25 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

Foxball + Cam =playoffs

#26 Strawman

Strawman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationKissimmee FL

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

This was my problem with "Foxball", he was going to line up and run on you no matter what. But when that plan didn't work, he had no answer, no other fall back option.

What is needed is the ability to pass on teams that can stop the run, and run on teams that stop the pass. It's not rocket surgery.

#27 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,868 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

We haven't done a lot of winning with our "innovative" offense the past two seasons. huzzah!

lol what does poor defense, poor fundamental coaching and a slew of other problems have to do with why we shouldn't intentionally sabotage our team by doing what is suggested in the OP?

#28 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,788 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

This was my problem with "Foxball", he was going to line up and run on you no matter what. But when that plan didn't work, he had no answer, no other fall back option.

What is needed is the ability to pass on teams that can stop the run, and run on teams that stop the pass. It's not rocket surgery.

Equally true on defense. The 2008 Cardinals playoff game was the magnum opus of that failing.

#29 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

• HUDDLER
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

lol what does poor defense, poor fundamental coaching and a slew of other problems have to do with why we shouldn't intentionally sabotage our team by doing what is suggested in the OP?

Out defense was top ten last year. The defense, however, did seem to get gassed in the 4th quarter. (See : TOP.)
I'm not advocating pure "Run up the gut on 1st and 2nd and draw play on 3 and 20" Foxball, but with our defense, we can actually establish the run. We seemed to abandon it early and often under Chud.

#30 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,077 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:16 PM

Rivera has said he believes in balance on offense, but his take on what that word means isn't necessarily the same as what most people think when they hear that term.

For Rivera, "balance" means the offense has the ability to attack whatever weakness the other team's defense shows. They can't tackle? We run. They can't cover? We pass. They can do both? We throw out a different wrinkle. Whatever works, that's what they wanna do.

And honestly, "whatever works" is a good summary of my offensive philosophy. I'm a complete pragmatist in this area. If we can score points by running draw plays very down, heck, go for it. I don't give a rip if it's boring as long as it wins. I'll take boring wins over exciting losses any day of the week.

Don't get me wrong, it is a bit insane to keep running into a brick wall over and over when your passing game is working or vice versa. My point about balance is to never allow yourself to become one dimensional. If you do, you just made the opposing D-coordinators job exponentially easier. Just make sure that even if we have passed for 500yds in a half you at least run a draw play or something to keep the defense honest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com