CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,640 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Cant see it happening.

I don't see him coming here either, but's worth a shot.

Worse case scenario is that he turns us down and we suck for one more year.

#32 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,389 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

I don't see him coming here either, but's worth a shot.

Worse case scenario is that he turns us down and we suck for one more year.

lol.

Chances are very low that he picks us. But let's say we make a run at him (Clifford) and trade with Minny (Cristaldi). We add Howard and Derrick Williams. That wouldn't be so bad.

PG: Kemba / Sessions

SG: Shabazz / Hendo

SF: Kidd-Gilchrist / Taylor

PF: Derrick Williams / Biz

C  : Howard

#33 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

I would be lying if I said the thought didn't cross my mind but I just can't see us in that race.

But just for giggles and daydreaming imagine a defense with Clifford at coach, Kemba, Oladipo, MKG, Biz, and Howard.

Sure we may not ever score more than 80 points but neither would our opponents. Lol

tumblr_ljis5nEmuS1qj0zk3o1_500.gif

#34 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,640 posts

lol.

Chances are very low that he picks us. But let's say we make a run at him (Clifford) and trade with Minny (Cristaldi). We add Howard and Derrick Williams. That wouldn't be so bad.

PG: Kemba / Sessions

SG: Shabazz / Hendo

SF: Kidd-Gilchrist / Taylor

PF: Derrick Williams / Biz

C  : Howard

I'd be down for that.

#35 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,997 posts

I dont care about how much respect he has with JVG or around the league. Dunlap had much respect from George Karl also. Let's hope hes the right guy. I'm sick of having new faces every year. It's time to start changing this attitude.

The difference there is Clifford has put in quite a few years in the league and worked with pro players whereas Dunlap was predominantly a college coach with only a couple years under Karl only...  Clifford has been under multiple coaches with different teams and plenty of different players - he will get respect off the bat from players.  Dunlap was already operating in the red in regards to respect when he first stepped in the locker room.  It was a bad hire.

#36 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,640 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

I didn't know this but Clifford coached at ECU for one year.

#37 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,640 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

Clifford is friends with Howard... Clifford is bringing in Ewing... Ewing is also good friends with Howard...

I'm trying not to connect the dots but come on now...

#38 Panther_Brotherhood

Panther_Brotherhood

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

Do not want Howard.  Great defender, and athlete, but egotistical and immature.  Not something needed with a bunch of young guns

#39 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,997 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

For quick reference:

http://www.nba.com/c...ford/index.html

College - Maine-Farmington
Steve Clifford joins the Lakers for his first season after spending the past five seasons (2007-12) as an assistant coach for the Orlando Magic. Over five seasons on Stan Van Gundy’s staff, Clifford helped the Magic to a 259-135 (.657) record, highlighted by a trip to the 2009 NBA Finals.

Prior to his time in Orlando, Clifford spent four seasons as an assistant coach with the Houston Rockets (2003-07) after working with the New York Knicks for three seasons, two as an assistant coach (2001-03) and one as an advance scout (2000-01).

Entering the NBA with more than a decade of college coaching experience, Clifford served as an assistant coach at East Carolina University for one season following four years as head coach at Adelphi University, where he compiled a record of 86-36 (.705). Leading Adelphi to four straight 20-win seasons, he became the first coach in school history to record consecutive 20- plus win campaigns while guiding the Panthers to four appearances in the NCAA Division II Tournament.

After gaining his first coaching experience over two seasons at Woodland High School in Maine, Clifford began his college coaching career as an assistant at St. Anselm’s College in New Hampshire for four seasons. Following his time with the Hawks, he served one season as an assistant at Fairfield University, spent the next four seasons at Boston University and one season after that at Siena College before accepting the head coaching position at Adelphi.

Following a four-year playing career at the University of Maine at Farmington, Clifford, named Best Defensive Player in his final two seasons while serving as team captain, graduated with a degree in special education.

#40 PantherAZ

PantherAZ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:23 PM

I was actually thinking the same thing...

If it comes down to money and comfort, he'll end up in Charlotte. If it's all about winning, he'll be in Houston or Dallas.

Professional sports are all about money and who you know. Not likely, but I wouldn't be shocked. I also think that MJ owning the team may start to play a bigger role in attracting free agents. It seems like he's been an absentee owner up to this point, but has been listening to the criticism and is taking a more active role.

#41 PantherAZ

PantherAZ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

Do not want Howard. Great defender, and athlete, but egotistical and immature. Not something needed with a bunch of young guns

All true, but still do want.

#42 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,640 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

Do not want Howard.  Great defender, and athlete, but egotistical and immature.  Not something needed with a bunch of young guns

He wasn't always like that, he was one of the best players in the NBA when he was in Orlando and him and SVG weren't clashing.

#43 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,389 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

He wasn't always like that, he was one of the best players in the NBA when he was in Orlando and him and SVG weren't clashing.

Yea, agree. Howard started being immature his last year with Orlando. That was the only way he could get out. Its still hard to see that he picks us but money talk.

#44 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,640 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

Clifford is obviously a players coach...

Looks like J.J. wants to come to Charlotte

JJ Redick: Huge congrats to Steve Clifford on getting the Charlotte head coaching job! Enjoyed working with him for 5 yrs in Orlando. Great hire. Twitter @JJRedick

Quentin Richardson might want to come to Charlotte too

Quentin Richardson: Congrats to Coach Steve Clifford on getting hired as Head Coach of the Charlotte Bobcats!Twitter @QRich

John Ireland is an L.A. sportscaster

John Ireland: Congrats to Lakers assistant Steve Clifford--new head coach in Charlotte. 1 of the rare guys in sports who everybody likes. Well deserved. Twitter @LAIreland

#45 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,436 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:17 PM

In the shotgun research I have done on this guy I have learned he is going to coach from the defensive side out and he is going to demand toughness from everyone, but especially our bigs.

I think I like this hire.  Hard to tell with assistants, but I would like to see us play more of our offense from the post, and to be tougher physically inside on both sides of the ball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users